Author Topic: Help please  (Read 7836 times)

nottslad

• View Profile
Help please
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
Hi there we are 2 who are doing a sponsored walk next friday from Nottingham to Skegness staying over in Boston on the friday night 31st july at Pilgrims way camp site what we need to know is the standard of the a52 from Boston To Skeggy in the way of footpaths cycle paths and verges any help would be greatly appreiated btw the walk is for HELPFORHEROES of which im the group coordinator for Nottinghamshire thank you once again.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:05:40 PM »
Im affraid to say that the main issue will be finding a footpath in places, for about 60% of the way there is good paths but the last bit of your journey is verge walking. Not much detail but it should give you a little to go on and good luck.

nottslad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
Thank you most appreciated

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
The 52 is one of the most dangerous roads in Lincolnshire, Bad times.

As a result the road is nearly all 30 then 40 then 30 then 50 then 30 all the way along so you won't see much in the way of speeding cars, Good Times!
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
Forget about the roads!Take the scenic route along the coast via the riverbank.The same route used by the Marathon.Also you could see if North Sea Camp have any spare beds for the night.
Good Luck
Why does'nt the club allow them to pitch up for the night?

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »
The 52 is one of the most dangerous roads in Lincolnshire

Agreed. Be very careful on this road.

nottslad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »
Am unaware of the riverbank route could anyone throw any light on this for me at all please.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »
There is a Skegness to Boston or the other way round Marathon each year that goes via the Coastal Banks used to reclaim the land all them years ago. It is basically a long footpath all the way along the coast. I'm not sure if it is all open to public use as it is on the Marathon day but might be worth a look.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

nottslad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »
Thanx for that will check the old www btw on the day we get to Boston we plan to use the club as the finish line on that day any one want to come say hello im sure you be more than welcome.

dazzybabie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »
Hi there,

I have done the seabank slog a couple of times. Basically, when you get to boston, head for skirbeck church, keep the river more or less on your right and follow the coast to gibraltar point. Its about 26 miles, interspursed with cows n cow poo but there is no traffic to kill you and loverly scenery.

Take an OS map with you just to make sure that you stop on route and you will be fine!!!!

Loads better than the road route

Ths would be your main starting point

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=skirbeck&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.344606,28.081055&ie=UTF8&ll=52.966993,-0.008669&spn=0.006139,0.013711&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Good Luck

Daz

nottslad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:15:54 AM »
Thank you so very much.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
If you are starting from Pilgrims Way, which is very close to Fishtoft, just walk through Fishtoft village past the Red Cow and down to the pumping station, saves you coming back on yourself.

nottslad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »
Brilliant thanx very much.

spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
Be carefull near skegness end , my daughter did a walk for her school a few years
ago and no body checked for access so when they got near gib point they had to climb over locked gates which are unlocked for the sea bank marathan.
Best of luck .

nottslad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »
Thanx for that hopefully we will find a way to get on the main road before we hit Skegness so we can walk down the main street as family meeting us on final stretch and others meeting us on beach cross road from clock tower. Thank you to everyone who has offered help and suggestions most appreciated.