Author Topic: O/T silent phone calls  (Read 4844 times)

Bob Lee

O/T silent phone calls
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
At 2.15 am I was awoken by the phone, fearing the worst I stumbled out of bed and answered the phone in a panic.

I have an elderly mother and elderly inlaws.  The phone was silent then hung up.  I pressed 1471 and was told they did not have the caller's number.

It took me 2 hours to get back to sleep.

9am and I receive a phonecall off my inlaws, they also received a phonecall about the same time 2.15 am, they are 80 years old and worried all the rest of the night.

I also was told one of my friends received the same phonecall, we all have a Boston number.

I assume it was an automated call from India or the States.

I am not a very happy tired bunny >:(

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: O/T silent phone calls
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »
Do what we did and register with TPS, if you get any unwanted calls tell them you are TPS registered, they will apologize and not pester you again.

I get probably 1 nuisance call a month now, its worth the money.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

It's a free service isn't it?

It worked for us for about a year and now they are creeping back.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

It's a free service isn't it?

It worked for us for about a year and now they are creeping back.

The service is free, unfortunately it only covers calls made in the UK. If a company is using an overseas call centre to make the calls they do not need to "screen" against the TPS file to ensure calls are not made to TPS registered phone numbers.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »
Quote from: Finchley Tiger link=topic=1773.msg23238#msg23238

The service is free, unfortunately it only covers calls made in the UK. If a company is using an overseas call centre to make the calls they do not need to "screen" against the TPS file to ensure calls are not made to TPS registered phone numbers.

I.e talk talk who are always cold calling
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »
Ironic if talk talk cold call a lot given they are presently not calling me to tell when they are going to fix my broadband...

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
we often get recorded calls but we are unable to register with TPS as they don't identify themselves - all they do is supply a number where you can get further details of their service and i'm reluctant to call back in case its a scam to hike your phone bill even higher

how the heck do you register the caller with TPS if you don't actually know who the heck it is ?????

orangecoat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
i also had a phone call at that time of the morning once again no number this is very worrying

At 2.15 am I was awoken by the phone, fearing the worst I stumbled out of bed and answered the phone in a panic.

I have an elderly mother and elderly inlaws.  The phone was silent then hung up.  I pressed 1471 and was told they did not have the caller's number.

It took me 2 hours to get back to sleep.

9am and I receive a phonecall off my inlaws, they also received a phonecall about the same time 2.15 am, they are 80 years old and worried all the rest of the night.

I also was told one of my friends received the same phonecall, we all have a Boston number.

I assume it was an automated call from India or the States.

I am not a very happy tired bunny >:(

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
I think you'll find that YOU register with TPS and they put you on a list. All companies are expected to check the list before they call you.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »
I think you'll find that YOU register with TPS and they put you on a list. All companies are expected to check the list before they call you.

It should be against the law for any company to cold-call any phone number in my opinion...but as its not, the only thing you can do is give them the sort of verbal abuse our managers got last week, then they might get themselves proper jobs  :dan