Author Topic: Posh feature: McKeown is proving a big star at Boston  (Read 2299 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Posh feature: McKeown is proving a big star at Boston
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »

Published on Sat Nov 13 10:00:00 GMT 2010

Peterborough United goalkeeper James McKeown is a record breaker... at Boston United.

The on-loan goalkeeper has etched his name into Pilgrims folklore by keeping a stunning 10 successive league clean sheets.

McKeown’s brilliance between the sticks has helped Boston roar to the top of the Blue Square Bet North. He has also annihilated the club’s previous best run of shut-outs - six in the 1976/77.

He can stretch his run without conceding to 16-and-a-half hours when Boston travel to Droylsden today.

McKeown said; “I’m obviously over the moon with the way things are going for me at Boston.

“A clean sheet is the best thing you can achieve as a goalkeeper, so I’m really proud to have managed 10 of them in a row.

“To be honest, the run without conceding has never really been on my mind. I go into every game with the same mentality of wanting to win it.

“And it isn’t all down to me either. Our whole team are playing well and I’ve had some good protection from the defence.

“The lads are all really confident and it is good to be part of a team that is doing well at the top of the league.”

McKeown, who has made two starting appearances in three years at Posh, is on loan at Boston until January.

He still trains at London Road with the club’s other goalkeepers - Joe Lewis and Steve Collis - under the watchful eye of coach Barry Richardson.

And he insists those men have all played a part in his success. McKeown added: “Joe and Steve have both been really supportive and Barry has watching my progress a lot.

“I only train at Boston on a Thursday night, so I’m here with the lads the rest of the time.

“The loan spell has worked out really well for me and we’ll see what happens when it comes to an end. At this moment in time I’m just enjoying playing regular football.”

And Posh number one Lewis has dished out plenty of praise for his understudy and good friend.

Lewis said: “James is doing ever so well at Boston. Keeping 10 clean sheets at any level is a tremendous achievement and I know he has made a lot of good saves during that time.

“I’ve been to watch him a couple of times while he has been there and he has always done well.”

The ultra-tight Boston defence also features former Posh left-back Gareth Jelleyman. He laid on the only goal of their midweek victory against Corby.

Former Posh youngster Ryan Semple is also a regular for the Pilgrims these days.

McKeown’s clean sheets

Aug 30 v Eastwood (a) W1-0

Sep 4 v Corby (a) D0-0

Sep 11 v Workington (h) W4-0

Sep 18 v Alfreton (a) W1-0

Oct 2 v Vauxhall Motors (a) D0-0

Oct 9 v Hyde (a) W3-0

Oct 16 v Stalybridge (h) W1-0

Nov 2 v Guiseley (a) D0-0

Nov 6 v Blyth S (a) D0-0

Nov 9 v Corby (h) W1-0

porl99

• View Profile
Re: Posh feature: McKeown is proving a big star at Boston
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »
I feel like I have to credit for this article as it was I who e-mailed the sports editor of the ET on Thursday to make him aware of McKeown's exploits.  In fact most of this is copied and pasted from my e-mail!

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
I feel like I have to credit for this article as it was I who e-mailed the sports editor of the ET on Thursday to make him aware of McKeown's exploits.  In fact most of this is copied and pasted from my e-mail!

Jinx

Seenbetter

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
How are we going to keep him now. Someone will come in with a wad of money and take him. I said last week he is one the main reasons we are where we are in this league so lets keep it quiet about how good he is, change his name or something. Change his job description to goalpost painter or something.