Author Topic: Three weeks without a fixture?  (Read 4156 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Three weeks without a fixture?
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »

My fixture list over the coming weeks reads as follows:

16th October - Stalybridge (Home)
23rd October - Guiseley (Away)
30th October - Ilkeston (Home)
6th November - Blyth Spartans (Away)

Guiseley won yesterday in the FA Cup, and I believe the next round is to take place on 23rd October. Presumably therefore our league game will have to be rearranged.

Ilkeston, sadly, are no more.

By my reckoning therefore, we'll go from 16th October until 6th November without a first team fixture. That can't be good for keeping momentum going.

I wonder if we can bring forward another fixture to fill the void?

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Three weeks without a fixture?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 08:42:01 PM »
It made sense to bring the game at Hyde forward to yesterday though, as the fixture was originally scheduled for a Friday night in April. That would have been more problematic in terms of players and supporters fitting in the match around work commitments, etc.

With the two blank Saturdays that are coming up, the problem we'll have is that there aren't really any other scheduled night matches between now and the end of the season. Corby are due to come to York Street on a Tuesday night, but that's not an option as they too are still in the FA Cup.

So essentially we'd be looking at moving a fixture from one Saturday to another.

EDIT: Just looked at the fixture list again. Hinckley United are due at York Street on Tuesday 30th November. They lost in the FA Cup yesterday to Redditch (how?). That might be our best option for bringing a game forward.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:46:00 PM by leicester pilgrim »

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:50:33 PM »
Hinkley at home is also a Tuesday night. They are due to play Solihull on the 23rd, who drew with Barwell in the FA Cup on Saturday. If Solihull can win their replay that'd leave us and Hinkley free to play on the 23rd.

So here's hoping for a Solihull win on Tuesday, wouldn't have been necessary but for a 95th minute equaliser for Barwell.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
Geeks!
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
How about bringing forward the Harrogate home game from December 28th - giving everyone a break between Boxing Day and New Year's Day? They are free on 23rd October because Eastwood are through.

Alfreton were due to be playing Ilkeston on October 23rd and they are out of the cup. Not sure I'd be wanting to play them again at the moment though.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »
How about bringing forward the Harrogate home game from December 28th - giving everyone a break between Boxing Day and New Year's Day? They are free on 23rd October because Eastwood are through.

Alfreton were due to be playing Ilkeston on October 23rd and they are out of the cup. Not sure I'd be wanting to play them again at the moment though.

I'd avoid Alfreton as if we do cling onto their heels it would be a bumper gate and cracking game later in the season.  Harrogate were terrible at their place, I'd take them given the choice before they improve.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
what's this obsession with moving Christmas games.  These are the only ones i can watch!!  Christmas football is the best thing about that 10 day period!

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »
Wonder if Hyde would be as kind as to bring our home fixture forward. Due to play them on the Saturday before Christmas which traditionally turns out to be a bit lower gate then normal due to all the Christmas shopping, etc.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »
Wonder if Hyde would be as kind as to bring our home fixture forward. Due to play them on the Saturday before Christmas which traditionally turns out to be a bit lower gate then normal due to all the Christmas shopping, etc.

I was having the same thoughts, but it can't happen unfortunately.

Hyde already have a fixture against Blyth Spartans on 23rd October. Both sides are already out of the FA Cup, and therefore that game will go ahead.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »
I think the only other teams in our league without a fixture on October 23rd are Alfreton & Telford. I'm not sure whether we'd want to bring forward a fixture against either of those two? Stamford also have a league game.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »
Gainsborough also don't have a fixture but again not one we'd want to tinker with. What about bringing one of the midweek games forward? Hinkley and Corby are both midweek in November, so instead of playing Sat-Tues-Sat we could play one/both of those in the 3 week period in October albeit still in midweek thus keeping the team playing and bringing in some much needed revenue.