Author Topic: Lower or Higher  (Read 5024 times)

Seenbetter

Lower or Higher
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
I know this is down to personal preference but do we actually play it better on the ground rather than relying on a long high ball. Personally I think that we may win a lot in the air with our big guys but thats it. After it's left the head goodness knows where it will go. On Saturday JL won a lot in the air but it usually ended up in the other sides posession, same with DD playing. Is it their fault with accuracy or the support from other players that was the problem. Another problem with big guys is that the ref penalises them a lot for fouling in the jump up. On Saturday poor old JL couldn't challenge for a header without fear of the juvenile ref penalising him. So is being tall an advantage or disadvantage with refs blowing up just because you jump higher than the other guy, except for DD of course.
So, Higher or Lower ?
I'm for lower.   

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lower or Higher
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »
Lower for an hour, and if it's not working, bring on a big guy...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »
Big un and a little un with a clever mix of both is where it's at.  Too many times on Saturday we just looked for big JL when we could have opened them up. Yates was guilty of it too many times.  Semple got the mix right and his full back didn't know what to do cos if he came to block the cross semple raced past and if he didn't it was crossed unchallenged to Jason. It was JL's first game with them, it'll improve as they get used to him winning everything.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Poros

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
The best thing is to vary depending on the opposition. No one way is the best.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
Hoofball to JL in the past was awful at times. As soon as the ball goes into the air, it becomes 50/500, rarely do knock-ons etc. work. Its called 'giving the ball away'.

Balls into the big men should be from crosses, ideally cut backs, but the temptation is the hoof from defence to attack bypassing the midfield.

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »
Remember the good old days with Bob Lee and Mr Cook?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
 Agree with Dubai camel ..

scot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:22:24 PM »
I personaly will be glad to see MS back. Someone that can win the ball in the air and direct it to one of our own players. I didnt see JL playing last week but have seen plenty of DD and the ball just pings of him in any direction. We do play better on the floor but yes there are times when the long ball is an advantage. Sometimes i dont think we use it often enough ie a quick kick from the keeper when every one is in our half.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 01:20:28 AM »
I agree with scot. Suarez is very good at heading the ball in the general direction of one of our players...in fact he's one of the best I've seen at York St for this.

CRANWELL PILGRIM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »
                                        Lower,

Higher,
Right,                                                                      Left,

Shoot Bernie

Bulls eye!!!

Seenbetter

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
And here is what you COULD have won if you knew what you were doing.   NOWT. And why shoot Bernie. Shoot at WILL if you want to shoot at someone. After all everyone "shoots at Will"