Author Topic: Can I say now....  (Read 14400 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can I say now....
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »
Its ironic that people are coming on here condemming Butcher , last week Worchester fans on their forum was rejoicing at the at the prospect of facing Jamie Mckeown . Apparently when playing for them 2/3 years ago he was a bit of a disaster .  Problem with us and many more teams is how do give your young goalie experience ?

Pride of Bostonshire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 01:48:24 PM »
People are talking of getting rid of Cully, Davies and Butcher - who is going to replace them at this stage of the season and are we going to get any better considering we'll have the same budget?

I'm fairly sure there has been criticism of Butcher and Davies whenever they play.  I personally don't think either are good enough really.  Cully I don't mind, he didn't have the best game but he isn't a bad player going forward.  Davies is slow, doesn't pass well and gives away too many free kicks.  He wouldn't be my choice in midfield.

Butcher is a second choice 'keeper at this level.  If he wasn't the managers wouldn't have brought McKeown in in the first place.  You all go on about not questioning the managers decisions, well what about now?  Do you really believe that if McKeown was allowed to play they would've dropped him?  Same for Davies, if he is good enough why isn't he playing every week?

Also on the condemning McKeown front the fan I talked to said he played for them once and cost them two goals out of five in an expected drubbing.  He was shaky for us first game out.

Bartmac

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 07:35:31 PM »
All this slating a young goalkeeper is terrible, not even McKeown (or Joe Hart) would have stopped Worcesters first goal, it was a cracker, the second I feel he might have pushed round the post, but it was hard and low into the bottom corner, and their third goal I totally blame on our defence!!! and has for getting rid of him, are you going to say the same about Danny Davidson? he missed an easy one-on-one against their goalie, or SWD who missed a sitter near the end of the match that would've brought us level.   I say get off Buthcher's back and give the lad a chance.   

Rant over :(

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
I completely agree, slating a young player will only harm his confidence and the only way he will get any better is if he plays competetive games.  Maybe the managers should sign a back-up goalie on non-contract terms and send butcher out on loan.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 08:21:49 PM »
Personally I was disappointed that we weren't able to enter a reserve league that played their games mid week allowing Butcher to still sit on the bench on a Saturday although I understand that this probably not an option.

Pride of Bostonshire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Maybe the managers should sign a back-up goalie on non-contract terms and send butcher out on loan.

<< This. 

Bartmac, he's been given a chance several times and there are obviously still questions otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion on here.  I'm not Davidson's biggest fan, in fact I don't really like the way he plays at all; he is clearly effective though as is SWD.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
Personally,i don't think Butcher is good enough.There are to many shortcomings in his game for me.Having said that it would be wrong to blame him alone for what went wrong in the first half against Worcester.The problem i have is that four chanes in one game was two too many.

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 01:34:43 AM »
well i think cully and davies are only good for putting on for 10-20 minutes at the end of a game. cully lacks the pace and sometimes looks like he makes the wrong decisions when passing, he seems to play TOO safe when we are wanting to go forwards when options are there for him. As for davies hes just a more foul giving churchy. doesnt go with the right options. i really hope they do prove their worth but at the minute they seem almost like extra weight which we could get rid of and have something more effective instead

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
well i think cully and davies are only good for putting on for 10-20 minutes at the end of a game. cully lacks the pace and sometimes looks like he makes the wrong decisions when passing, he seems to play TOO safe when we are wanting to go forwards when options are there for him. As for davies hes just a more foul giving churchy. doesnt go with the right options. i really hope they do prove their worth but at the minute they seem almost like extra weight which we could get rid of and have something more effective instead

You have to understand the club has the same budget as last year (we are lead to believe) the club is asking the players to perform at a higher standard for the same wage. Its plainly obvious some players performances are going to be more eratic this season, moreover this makes team selection more important. The cup game saturday was lost in team selection, so the managers must take the blame. Almost all agree that if the side that pulled the two goals back had started we probably would have won.
As for your comments about Cully if you think hes slow then what about the 5 or 6 slower in the team. Davies the same as Churchy, you really have no idea.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »

You have to understand the club has the same budget as last year (we are lead to believe) the club is asking the players to perform at a higher standard for the same wage. Its plainly obvious some players performances are going to be more eratic this season, moreover this makes team selection more important. The cup game saturday was lost in team selection, so the managers must take the blame. Almost all agree that if the side that pulled the two goals back had started we probably would have won.
As for your comments about Cully if you think hes slow then what about the 5 or 6 slower in the team. Davies the same as Churchy, you really have no idea.

Does Davies not play the same role as Church (combative midfielder?)  I always thought he was there to sit infront of the back four and kick people, much as Church does.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »
Davies is a player you only really notice when he plays badly. He doesn't have the flair of Church, or the passing ability. He's a tackler first and foremost, probably more suited to a 3 man central midfield.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »

Does Davies not play the same role as Church (combative midfielder?)  I always thought he was there to sit infront of the back four and kick people, much as Church does.

you beat me to it.

also the cup game was probably lost in the team selection but if those players were good enough to replace the "first choice players" we shouldnt have that problem. granted i know we run on a very tight budget it does not give me much confidence if those "first choice players" get injured.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
Ive got it you two are on a wind up ;D. LCB you should not say your vote for player of the year last season went to a player who you now say sits in front of the back four and kicks people. I will forgive your memory lapses or do you like watching Stoke or Bolton. Perhaps the managers better tell him to stop popping up in the opposition box and tapping the ball in , because hes clearly out of position ;).ps good job he was out of position at Bradford in may.

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 01:40:18 AM »
Ive got it you two are on a wind up ;D. LCB you should not say your vote for player of the year last season went to a player who you now say sits in front of the back four and kicks people. I will forgive your memory lapses or do you like watching Stoke or Bolton. Perhaps the managers better tell him to stop popping up in the opposition box and tapping the ball in , because hes clearly out of position ;).ps good job he was out of position at Bradford in may.

church does not just sit infront of the back 4 and just kicks people as people who watch him play notice, he is more the starting building block around a team, even though pearson was my player of the season last season and always performs well. he does not have the gel that church creates in the team, church gets up front, gets in defence, scares teams and is a physical player but theres alot of players like that who are less skillful that church who kick the proverbial shit out of players bu thats all they are there for. Church works his bloody heart out for this team and it shows.

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 05:32:38 AM »
Yes we do have a tight budget,but at least we still have a football team to support, who despite all the restrictions are second in the league, and Butcher will mature into a decent non league goalkeeper,and Davies will get match fit and improve, so remember these guys wear the amber and black and dont deserve this shit.