Author Topic: Keeper  (Read 27127 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Keeper
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 01:55:44 PM »
To be honest Rich 77 its a good job none of US is in charge other wise we should probably be bust and bottom of the league by chistmas. We are just amateurs trying to tell the pro,s what to do.

Rich 77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 07:31:44 AM »
To be fair, that could happen no matter who is in charge! lol! No tellings, however slightly more likely under the guidance or should I say mis-guidance of 'it's all the gingers fault'!!!

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »
Cant believe what Im reading here???? End of last season everyone was screaming to keep hold of Butcher,  now, after one pre-season friendly he aint good enough!!!!!!! Butcher is the best keeper that we have had for a while!!!!
it wasnt just butch who folk wanted to stay,there was several,at least half of the squad but the worm has turned on them soon enough...fickle comes to mind
"till saturday comes"

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 12:03:46 PM »
I don't think there have been many who have criticised Butch on here,and those that have should know better.The lad has tons of potential and was one of a very few bright spots last season.I do think though that we need another keeper as well as Butch.We know how physical this league is,and for an 18 year old that's a tough ask.Add to that loss of form,injuries etc..........It's more a question of whether we can afford to pay to have another goalkeeper or whether we loan one in when needed.

Bartmac

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »
Managers say they definitely want another keeper, every squad/team has atleast two keepers, so why the discussion on needing another keeper ???

cowfieldwalker

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
Rich77. Just to clarify the basis of my opinions. i have a sports science degree. Shit load of coaching badges. Have worked with our league 2 side. And managed teams over the last 15 yrs. My disertation focused on bridging the gap between pro and semi pro football. And focused on the ,motivational factors that separated the 2 groups. Think that over qualifies me to have my opinion on butcher. Good no doubting that. But unlikey to play higher than we are now. Fact. And in support the o/s state the management team are looking for a new goalie. I rest my case.

nerevs9

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 06:48:24 PM »
Obviously, I've never seen Butcher, but since when do goalkeepers peak at age 18? I thought nowadays many of them were peaking at like 32.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
I dont think any of us have really seen enough of him to make a real judgement, he hasnt even played that many games for us.

But from what ive seen of him he looks very promising, he will get better with time and experience.

Patience.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »
gosh 1 mistake last week vs lincoln and everyone is jumping to conclusions

i agree with H&S we do need another keeper so they can push each other on so neither ever feel too confident their number 1 choice and wont be taken away from them ,its just healthy competition

was'nt long ago people were prasing aaron loads on here on contributing massively to our revival towards end of the season

now 1 mistake in a friendly and it seems its all forgotten

Rich 77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »
I take it you failed your motivation module then? Or if not then you should no better to slate someone publicly after ONE pre-season FRIENDLY, and ONE mistake. I too have a sports science degree but I wouldnt say that qualifies me to make ridiculous statements. No doubt we need another keeper, but thats common sense surely, not because Butcher is rubbish. He was the one positive to really come out of last season. Also, even the most qualified of proffessionals can make mistakes.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
Rich77. Just to clarify the basis of my opinions. i have a sports science degree. Shit load of coaching badges. Have worked with our league 2 side. And managed teams over the last 15 yrs. My disertation focused on bridging the gap between pro and semi pro football. And focused on the ,motivational factors that separated the 2 groups. Think that over qualifies me to have my opinion on butcher. Good no doubting that. But unlikey to play higher than we are now. Fact. And in support the o/s state the management team are looking for a new goalie. I rest my case.

If you are that qualified surely you would know that keepers are a differant breed. They don't get regular places in teams til their mid 20's and the old pros take up all the spots in League 1&2 due to going on way beyond the outfield players in a position only one player can fill.

How many of the current League 2 teams and probably Conference have Keepers under the age of 30. I know we didn't have any in the league and saw quite a few aging names on our travels. The young players have to play somewhere and come from somewhere when they move up. I'd suggest the trend fits outfield players and the bridge to Semi-pro is a one way draw bridge, but for keepers I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:09:13 AM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

cowfieldwalker

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »
Ginger dodges the handbag :-)! And swings one back! A a first in bsc degree means you failed nothing. Did i say he was rubbish? No. Lets just wait and see. Time will tell what the management decide over butch and time will tell if he plugs the gaps in a his game which only a quality goalie coach can possibly attempt to resolve and boston are all out of those.  Next subject.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »
If you are that qualified surely you would know that keepers are a differant breed. They don't get regular places in teams til their mid 20's and the old pros take up all the spots in League 1&2 due to going on way beyond the outfield players in a position only one player can fill.

How many of the current League 2 teams and probably Conference have Keepers under the age of 30. I know we didn't in the league and saw quite a few aging names on our travels. The young players have to play somewhere and come from somewhere when they move up. I'd suggest the trend fits outfield players and the bridge to Semi-pro is a one way draw bridge, but for keepers I'm not so sure.
...just ask Joe Hart!

Rich 77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
Oh, you didn't fail your motivation module? I guess you have no excuse for your stupidity then? If you are a coach or have been, you really should know better. Maybe it's just more on a personal level that you feel the need to publicly slate a young lad that saved us on more than one occasion last year? Im just glad that nobody else has jumped on your band wagon. There really is no justification to your argument, thats all Im saying. The lad is young, and so needs to improve on his kicking....well guess he has plenty of years to do that, and hopefully will improve on it, whether it be with Boston or when he furthers his career, which Im sure he will. I guess your a stick man as opposed to a carrot man, that way never really motivated me to do anythhing, but worked for Evans, so maybe each to there own.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »
just ask Joe Hart!

And without digging too deep into my football knowledge (I don't have a BSc unfortunately) just recently I've read of Tyrone Kirk, that Kyle guy from FCUM and Pringle from Ilkeston all climbing back up the tree. I'm not so sure it is unheard of to drop in and out of the Pro game.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.