Author Topic: Swine flu will disrupt the football season.  (Read 6900 times)

qwerty

• View Profile
Swine flu will disrupt the football season.
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »
If people are found to be dying of swine flu and not underlying health issues do you think we could see a restriction on non essential travel until the government vacinate the whole country?

The government are going to vacinate the whole country but they will not have enough vacine to do this until next year.

During the foot and mouth out break the horse racing calendar was suspended. Is it possible that the football calendar could be suspended?

This shows how fast the virus is spreading:

http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

If you look at the Cumulative chart on this page you will see the amount of people that are infected has doubled in a month to 120,000. While not massive in itself it dosen't take a doctorate in maths to work out that this will be massive in six months.

How would this affect clubs of our size if the season was suspended in November and we had all our expenses to pay with no income?

Is their anything we can do to budget for this?

Have I really lost the plot this time?  :D

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: Swine flu will disrupt the football season.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »
It looks like it's going to be one pig of a season!

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
we could find ourselves in a trough!

I am sure it will affect attendences......but not that much

Seenbetter

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
These flues are a pain. Can't eat pork cos of swine flue. Can't eat beef cos of mad cows disease. Can't eat chicken cos of chicken flue. Can't eat lamb cos of something or other. Only leaves alcohol, sex and smoking. So what's the problem. Could always risk a burger at the games. Oh, and can't put soot on the crops to stop the slugs cos of-------------------------------------you guessed it----chimney flue.
Now you will spot me at the matches cos I'll be the one in the oxygen tent.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »
Apparently,two pupils at a school in town have it!A concerned parent rang the school to confirm this but the school said they would ring back!He is still waiting for the call back >:(

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
If people are found to be dying of swine flu and not underlying health issues do you think we could see a restriction on non essential travel until the government vacinate the whole country?

NO

Have I really lost the plot this time?  :D
POSSIBLY

The only point in restricting travel is to contain the virus. We are way way past containment now as the virus is well diseminated throughout the population.

The current virus is not a real threat to people in this country - what may become a problem during the winter months iis if some individuals get both the swine flu virus and regular flu (if there is such a beast). The viruses can swop DNA/RNA and we could end up with something quite nasty.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »
The only point in restricting travel is to contain the virus. We are way way past containment now as the virus is well diseminated throughout the population.

Would you agree that their is more chance of catching this virus than not?

The current virus is not a real threat to people in this country - what may become a problem during the winter months iis if some individuals get both the swine flu virus and regular flu (if there is such a beast). The viruses can swop DNA/RNA and we could end up with something quite nasty.

Would you agree that it could be quite usefull to catch this now before it mutates into something more deadly?

People born before 1920 seem to be more imune, and the obese seem to be more liable to serious illness.

I'm no medical expert and don't really have an opinion on this.

Seenbetter

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
Don't think it will affect fixtures unless a lot of players in a team come down with it, which is always a possibility I suppose. I'll just get on with life while I have it, after all, the person standing next to you at this very minute could have already passed it on to you. Thats life. Did hear a whisper though that Batemans or Doom Bar are exceedingly good for the immune system (Are you listening me Duck ).
If it's true about obese people being susceptible to the infection then the shares in weight watchers could be a good investment.
On a humanitarian note, how about letting members of the armed forces in for free as a treat, wont break the bank. When I recently went to a game at Old Trafford they paraded a group of soldiers on the pitch and they received a terrific reception.

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »

Would you agree that their is more chance of catching this virus than not?

Would you agree that it could be quite usefull to catch this now before it mutates into something more deadly?

People born before 1920 seem to be more imune, and the obese seem to be more liable to serious illness.

I'm no medical expert and don't really have an opinion on this.

Qwerty I think you are asking questions that no one really knows the full answer to

Are you more likely to catch it than not - well I would say no as it would be a very virulent virus to affect more than 50% of the population. Of course it depends on individual circumstances.

Is it better to catch it now before it mutates to something possibly worse?
Hmmmmm it is difficult to know to what degree cross immunity will be effective.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
If it mutates you wont be immune if youve already had it.

Micah Richards has it apparently and theres a few cases in the NLP.

My friend had it at school and he didnt take any medication or anything and hes fine now, cos hes hard  :D

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »
If it mutates you wont be immune if youve already had it.

BostonGoals you are broadly correct, however cross reactivity between antibodies and different viral strains is a complex business. I could bore you with some of the details but in certain cases a degree of immunity (although not optimal) occurs.

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
"Have I really lost the plot this time?"

Who cares you are just boring!
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell