Author Topic: we are better than alfreton  (Read 10614 times)

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: we are better than alfreton
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
Good posts here ..
 Going on last seasons form and pre'season w e shd also be looking at Corby Eastwood ..and Droylsden .
    Always rather irksome to find clubs with smaller fan bases ( eg Alfreton ) attracting and keeping good players.
  Suppose its due to being near where they played before / work  during day .
     Wasn't Daren Stride videod working on Burtons (then) new ground ..? 

fcum_91

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
I really hope you do make the playoffs but some people are getting carried away with 2 wins, i'll await abuse....

al srfc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »
I hope you get a result against Solihull tonight al, I wouldn't want this bitterness to consume you.
Bitter? get real , i was merely saying on the strengh of "some" of your supporters thinking you played well against us that that performance will not be good enough to do anything in this league , yes you may well improve and i hope you do a club of your stature should be gracing the BSP again soon . I really didn't expect the forum to descend into a my dads bigger than your dad kiddie debate i thought it was better than that. ::)

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »
Some may be getting carried away,but i don't seriously think many are.We've made a decent start,one any club would be pleased of,but that's all it is-a decent start.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 07:14:43 PM »
I hope you get a result against Solihull tonight al, I wouldn't want this bitterness to consume you.
Bitter? get real , i was merely saying on the strengh of "some" of your supporters thinking you played well against us that that performance will not be good enough to do anything in this league , yes you may well improve and i hope you do a club of your stature should be gracing the BSP again soon . I really didn't expect the forum to descend into a my dads bigger than your dad kiddie debate i thought it was better than that. ::)

I think it goes without saying that this team - and the management - is significantly better than that which finished tenth in 2007/2008, so it does give us some idea of what our realistic expectations should be. Of course, the unknown quantity is how the opposition have changed since we were last here, but assuming the quality across the league is roughly the same then a title stab isn't totally out of the question, although I'd admit play-offs were probably a more reasonable target. Anything better than that would simply be a fantastic bonus.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
Al you need to chill out  ;)

I cannot see any of our fans getting carried away. It's a good start which is what everyone has said nothing more. We cannot do any more than win our first 2 games. You can criticize the performance but isn't it an old football cliche that the best sides win despite playing poorly ;)

I'll judge us against Alfreton, Droylesden or whoever you think the good sides are when we play them, as writing us off based on a performance against Stafford is pointless. Last season we where piss poor against Whitby twice (a loss and a draw) who where a very mediocre side, based on that we should of been mid table and wouldn't have got near Guiseley - yet we did the double over them. Football doesn't work like you're trying to make it work.

Not saying we'll win the league or beat everyone more let's take 1 game at a time. First objective is to get enough points to avoid relegation, after that it's about finishing as high as possible. I think you're confusing optimism with arrogance  :)

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »
Al you need to chill out  ;)

I cannot see any of our fans getting carried away. It's a good start which is what everyone has said nothing more. We cannot do any more than win our first 2 games. You can criticize the performance but isn't it an old football cliche that the best sides win despite playing poorly ;)

I'll judge us against Alfreton, Droylesden or whoever you think the good sides are when we play them, as writing us off based on a performance against Stafford is pointless. Last season we where piss poor against Whitby twice (a loss and a draw) who where a very mediocre side, based on that we should of been mid table and wouldn't have got near Guiseley - yet we did the double over them. Football doesn't work like you're trying to make it work.

Not saying we'll win the league or beat everyone more let's take 1 game at a time. First objective is to get enough points to avoid relegation, after that it's about finishing as high as possible. I think you're confusing optimism with arrogance  :)

Well said that man yesterday I was optimistic, Friday when i come to the prediction I'll probably be pessimistic because I cannot remember the last time we started with three wins in a row at the start of a season :o

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
we'll piss this tinpot league

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
By the way If anybody wants a cheap laugh, then read the "Tommo talks" programme notes from yesterday and count the sheer number of massive spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, there's quite a few.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I would say Alfreton are probably everyone's favourites to go up mainly because they lost in the play offs last year and have a built a terrific squad, including 2 if not 3 of the England Non League side in their ranks. One of the Hinckley directors said they were very very good with probably only one weakness ....lack of pace in the centre half positions. Kyle McFazdean, the England Non League centre half plays alongside Darren Stride the former Burton Albion legend and apparantly they can compete and smash forwards all over the place but may struggle against smaller quicker players. Their two forwards are outstanding, I think they are Clayton and Hearn ....but we have our own goal machine in Churchy!
Well done lads last night, great support, kept the singing going for most of the match, it's a pity we can't generate as much atmosphere at The Jakemans Stadium.

Before i get shot down for saying this, i don't think many can dissagree that by atmosphere cookie means chanting

i think this would be helped if we shot towards the townend in the 2nd half more often myself as its obviously more exciting to see the action coming towards you than away, and its the only section of the ground that  chants.

other sides of the ground are vocal and encouringing but by the means of atmosphere i do think it would deffinatley be helped if we shot towards the towened 2nd half more often

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »
Historically, the club has always kicked towards the York Street end when given the choice...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 06:22:28 PM »
we'll piss this slightly less tinpot league
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Historically, the club has always kicked towards the York Street end when given the choice...

And we don't ever seem to lose doing this
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.