Author Topic: Today V Gainsborough  (Read 2703 times)

Pride of Lincolnshire

Today V Gainsborough
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
Since no ones started a thread of todays game I best start one. We played alright at times but by no means our best football. We looked worlds apart from Gainsborough and I'd be very surprised with their current squad if they do well this season. For the few faithfuls that made it to Northolme it was hardly fantastic football and the game lacked direction and flow. At times we showed our true qualities and that ultimately lead to us netting
two well worked goals. There's very little to say in all honesty, it proves we can drag results out when faced with poorer opposition which the managers have said they want us to do. Afterall, we can;t always play beautiful football and still get results. Rob Scott got sent to the stands after having words with the usual poor ref. Trinity lost a player who broke his ankle.
Let's hope the final has a bit more energy and excitment in it. Be interested to hear other peoples views on the game who went today. The best way to describe the game was just like the weather, dull and rainy with the odd sunshine breaking through.

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today V Gainsborough
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
Thought we did quite well actually. Big contrast in styles. The pre-season soundbytes, from North of the County, was that a team of big, tall, strong players is what's needed to get results at this level. Well today the team that played football prevailed, despite a truly awful refereeing display.   

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
Personally didn't think Gainsborough was as bad as POL says but certainly didn't live up to their billing of one of the title favourites. I would say they looked like a decent Unibond side tbh, big players who where shall we say very physical. As P21 says two very contrasting styles.

As for us again we played a lot more football, we're gradually moving away from hitting it long. Last season we tended to play long with the odd spell of passing football now we play football with the odd long ball. At times yesterday we passed them off the park and defensively at times they where hanging on. The only real downside if I'm being picky was that we didn't open their defence up enough and their long ball over the top caught us out on more than one occasion and they probably had the better chances our goals apart.

Even though it was only the Lincs Shield and the result didn't really matter it did show we can be competitive this season and backs up my opinion that there is little separating the Conf North and the Unibond.

Finally what a shocking display from the ref totally spoilt the game.

knock

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
Not sure what the ref did so wrong, could someone enlighten me?  Didn't think either side stood out particularly.  Boston played the better football in the second half and won the game on the back of that.  Both goals were well worked.  Trinity were disappointing and did not seem to have any direction.  I am sure both teams will get better.  Mid table for both though I think.  Will be interesting how both teams adapt to wet grounds in winter.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22:54 PM »
Not sure what the ref did so wrong, could someone enlighten me?  Didn't think either side stood out particularly.  Boston played the better football in the second half and won the game on the back of that.  Both goals were well worked.  Trinity were disappointing and did not seem to have any direction.  I am sure both teams will get better.  Mid table for both though I think.  Will be interesting how both teams adapt to wet grounds in winter.

we adapted last season so why not again ?

if we are anything like last season in the sense of passin belief etc, it could take us a long way this year, if we get a nice steady start behind us i believe play-offs are possible