Author Topic: off to a winning start  (Read 5625 times)

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
off to a winning start
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »
won 1.0 how did we play

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: off to a winning start
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
Good performance . Murphy looks a good signing .

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »
won 1.0 how did we play

Comftable without setting the world on fire. played some good football on the deck, keiren looks the part with a cool head, hunter got some good pace.milly played well and all the normal suspect looked in decent shap all in all good run out.

Rocking Rev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
Did Grimsby bring their 1st Team Squad? If so, despite all the substitutions on both sides, it was an encouraging start to the season.

Did Butcher look confident in goal? A clean sheet will also give him confidence.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
Did Grimsby bring their 1st Team Squad? If so, despite all the substitutions on both sides, it was an encouraging start to the season.

Did Butcher look confident in goal? A clean sheet will also give him confidence.
Grimsby team was made up of youth, reserves and 1st team players who aren't going to get into their side apparently. My thoughts on this:

1) Their youth team is sh*te
2) Their reserves are sh*te
3) The 1st teamers players who can't get in the team are sh*te

I see a pattern forming  :D

A truely shocking team from Grimsby, they want to hope their 1st 11 don't get any injuries because what was on show last night wouldn't have beaten Boston Town.

As for us, we controlled the game from start to finish without getting out of first gear and with a bit more luck in front of goal would of won by a greater margin. A good run out, can't read too much into friendlies anyway as it's more about getting the team fit and prepared for the 14th. To answer your other question Butcher didn't have a lot to do, his first and only save was 2 minutes from time, but when called on he looked assured. He had a couple of minor errors but nothing worth worrying about.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »

Grimsby team was made up of youth, reserves and 1st team players who aren't going to get into their side apparently. My thoughts on this:

A truely shocking team from Grimsby, they want to hope their 1st 11 don't get any injuries
 because what was on show last night wouldn't have beaten Boston Town.

As for us, we controlled the game from start to finish without getting out of first gear and with a bit more luck in front of goal would of won by a greater margin. A good run out, can't read too much into friendlies anyway as it's more about getting the team fit and prepared for the 14th. To answer your other question Butcher didn't have a lot to do, his first and only save was 2 minutes from time, but when called on he looked assured. He had a couple of minor errors but nothing worth worrying about.

Bit harsh on the cods, Youth teams always play some pretty stuff but lack the killer edge, which is what we saw last night.  We just hit the ground running on from last year.

Isn't it wierd knowing all the players rather than a complete rebuild each summer  :)
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »
i thought a 750 turnout was very good.
wont be many teams in this league get that for a league game.

Mr Tickle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »
We had a midfield controlled by Churchy!!!!

Danny D was looking trim and up for it

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »

A truely shocking team from Grimsby, they want to hope their 1st 11 don't get any injuries
 because what was on show last night wouldn't have beaten Boston Town.

Bit harsh on the cods, Youth teams always play some pretty stuff but lack the killer edge, which is what we saw last night.  We just hit the ground running on from last year.

Isn't it wierd knowing all the players rather than a complete rebuild each summer  :)
You're entitled to your opinion of course but that's how I saw it. Maybe it was because I was expecting a test and we didn't get one despite not really getting out of first gear. I expect a sterner test from Grantham on Tuesday...

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
Well Grimsby went and beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 so they cant be all bad

PilgrimSam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:01:11 AM »
700 odd  wasnt a bad turnout though. sounded about 150 on radio ;D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »
Well Grimsby went and beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 so they cant be all bad
How many of their players played in both games?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »
I thought Grimsby were quite poor on the night and personally I wouldn't want to have signed any of the players they had on show. But obviously Neil Woods is more easily impressed...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/grimsby_town/8838932.stm

... And just exactly how does a scoreline of Boston United 1 Grimsby Town 0 constitute a win for Grimsby?