Author Topic: Update the BUFC Legends list.  (Read 14736 times)

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Update the BUFC Legends list.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
Ask Cookie about Phil Annable, apparently he was a feckin' hard b@stard!

He most certainly was! On & off the field  :o

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
Ask Cookie about Phil Annable, apparently he was a feckin' hard b@stard!

He most certainly was! On & off the field  :o
Also very good at relieving his team mates of most of their wages on the coach to away games,thanks to his ability at three card brag(allegedly).

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Suprised nobody mentions Asa Hartford who won many caps with Scotland. Reputed to have played most of his career with hole-in-hart and thus missed a big transfer to Liverpool . Late thirties when he came to to Boston , but still had more energy than most his team mates.   Must admit i have many fond memories of Charlie Croft.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 04:26:14 AM »
He only played 15 games!

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »

I thought we were mainly talking about "legends" over the last 20 or so years. I haven't searched anywhere, but it does feel like more than 20 years since Asa Hartford played for us. At the very least it must be bordering on 20 years ago.

The record books show that Ben Morley played the first 45 half against AFC Bournemouth, but was then replaced at half-time by Jim Rodwell. Now there's a man who nobody else has mentioned on this legends thread!

It is a myth that Morley played one game for the club - as he also appeared as an 89th minute substitute in our second League game at Wrexham!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 08:17:44 AM »

I thought we were mainly talking about "legends" over the last 20 or so years. I haven't searched anywhere, but it does feel like more than 20 years since Asa Hartford played for us. At the very least it must be bordering on 20 years ago.

The record books show that Ben Morley played the first 45 half against AFC Bournemouth, but was then replaced at half-time by Jim Rodwell. Now there's a man who nobody else has mentioned on this legends thread!

It is a myth that Morley played one game for the club - as he also appeared as an 89th minute substitute in our second League game at Wrexham!

Is Morley the kid that looked like he had been dragged from Chess class rather than off a professional training pitch?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
Stop nit-picking LP unlike Ken and Andy i do not have a stack of reference manuals !!!  I have to store 63 years of BUFC memories in my head.

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »

Is Morley the kid that looked like he had been dragged from Chess class rather than off a professional training pitch?
  Er, Yes

Yes LP, stop nit-picking, I've deliberately expunged Wrexham away fixtures from my memory,(Apart from Franny Green scoring in front of a full kop of Welshmen)! :D

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 01:27:48 AM »
As you probably know there's a set of cards made about 20 years ago with the BUFC Legends from the 1940's to about 1990. There's 24 names in total which comes out at about 5 for every 10 years. The current list is

Ernest Malkinson
Tommy Lowder
Billy Howells
John Lakin
Howard Wilkinson
Gordon Bolland
Bobby Svarc
John Froggatt
Arthur Mann
Jim Smith
Harry Sharpe
Mike Alexander
Brian Bates
Paul Shirtliff
Gary Jones
Dave Adamson
Dave Poplar
Ray Middleton
John McKenna
Jim Conde
Jim Kabia
Martin Hardy
Cookie
Fred Tunstall

As 20 years have passed since those cards were made how about adding another 8 or 10 names to that list? I know I asked about this a few years ago and the Evans apologists hijacked the vote but as he's now been exposed as the convicted fraudster, self confessed liar and proven cheat that he really is his is the only name that won't be considered. Legends can be off beat like Chris Withe, Martin Filson,Leroy Chambers or Jason Lee, crowd favourites like Peter Costello, Daryl Clare, and Andy Kirk or just daft like Emmanuel Gabrielli, Stuart Douglas and Andy Porter.

No doubt Chalker will tell us how many people have played for the 1st team since 1991, my guess is about 300, so there's plenty to go at.

The choice is yours.........

This Ernest Malkinson chap, who is top of your list, wasn't he the man who started the club and funded it for years, and then got banned by the FA for a few minor transgressions of their rules?
I remember reading something about him in Jim Smith's book. Apparently the glove compartment of his car used to be stuffed full of banknotes during contractural negotiations...his lifetime ban was later rescinded, a legend indeed!  :dan

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
Not my list Ed, just the cards in numerical order.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
Alf Bell was a legendary figure, maybe he could get into the pack  8)
Any suggestions for the joker?

Stumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
Although hardly coming into the reckoning as a legend, does anybody remember  the few games that Kevin Hector played at York Street?

The guy had class stamped all over him and then went back to play in the Derby first team again if my memory serves me well.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »
Yes i remember Stumpy.  The game that stands out in my mind was a FA CUP match (i think ) at Kettering .  I seem to recall the Hector causing Kettering that much panic that they scored an own goal from about 20yds . also think Johnie Moyse scored the winning goal for Boston.  Did,nt a teenager called Cook play some games alongside him ? 

Bartmac

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
The only thing I remember about Kevin Hector was his ability to shirk tackles :)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »
I recall that too Bartmac , not surprised he went on to become a postman !