Author Topic: World Cup Predictions  (Read 13183 times)

qwerty

• View Profile
Re: World Cup Predictions
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »
Brazil and here's why:

After qualifying in style and winning last years Confederations Cup, I have been finding it hard to look past Brazil in terms of winning the big one this summer. They have come under plenty of fire from the press both at home and abroad recently though for being the polar opposite of what a Brazil team should be though. Dunga has formed a group built on discipline, strength and pace; gone has the skill and flair of Brazil teams of the past. However, by replacing the flair and excitement there comes organization, a steely resilience and strong team spirit more associated with teams like England. This 'backs to the wall' attitude was typified when winning 3-1 in Argentina, a spectacular result which sealed qualification for South Africa.

Characters like Lucio, Gilberto Silva and Maicon have a wealth of experience, always an invaluable commodity. You need a top goalkeeper to win the World Cup and Julio Cesar is the best keeper in the world at present, he will make a massive difference in the tight games. The attacking trio of Kaka, Fabiano and Robinho can score goals against anyone but another key attribute of Dunga’s Brazil is how far the full backs push on. Michel Bastos and Maicon play as wide midfielders and they give Brazil another outlet when going forward. Lastly but certainly not leastly, one cannot overlook Brazil’s newfound threat from set plays. Be it from Elano or Dani Alves, the delivery into the danger area will be top class; you can bet they will be scoring a few headers this tournament, just as they did in last years Confederations Cup Final.

The one concern I do have over Brazil is the lack of strength in depth. There were one or two interesting choices Dunga made when selecting his squad, the exclusion of Ronaldinho was expected but the inclusion of Wolfsburg striker Grafite was, at least to me, a surprise. Luis Fabiano will rightly lead the line but Grafite is not an adequate back up. Adriano or Alexandre Pato would have been a more suitable replacement because as it stands, an injury to the Sevilla striker and I would worry.

That said, Luis Fabiano will spearhead the Brazil attack in South Africa and is sure to get amongst the goals. Fabiano has a bit of everything; he is good in the air, can hold the ball up, can run in behind or drop deep and is an excellent goal poacher and finisher. Put simply, I would regard him as one of the most complete forwards in world football at present. With the service set to be supplied to him by Kaka, Robinho and Elano, he will get chances and importantly he will take the majority of them.

Working on the basis I believe Brazil will win the World Cup, the top goalscorer/winning team double market opens up a potential opportunity for greater rewards. The Luis Fabiano/Brazil double pays 30/1 with Paddy Power and that is too big to turn down. If Brazil are to win the World Cup, Fabiano will have to score a few goals.

Brazil are rightly one of the favourites and look very much to me to be the team to beat. Their recent form over other top sides has been exemplary and their squad is as settled and happy as any other going to South Africa. If Dunga can keep his big players motivated and fresh, then World Cup no.6 will be heading to the Selecao.

Qwerty's world cup bets.

Brazil to win the World Cup @ 5/1
Luis Fabiano top goal scorer/Brazil outright winner double @ 30/1

Good luck whoever you back.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »
That's a brilliant reply Qwerty ...where did you copy and paste that from!
I'm going for Argentina.

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
Holland - with Van Persie top scorer in the tournament (I'm on him at 14/1).

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
Argentina for me too!
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
The tournament aint even started and we've lost Ferdinand to an injury in training. Fantastic start ! We'll still win the world cup. Stranger things have happened like...... England winning the world cup in '66.  8)

bufc40

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
spain to cruise it.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
Wide open...

Spain, Brazil, Holland, Argentina ......

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 08:02:55 PM »
Wide open...

Spain, Brazil, Holland, Argentina ......

How strange when we played a mini knock out at our coaching session last week those are the four team the under 9's picked to play as. None of them backed England, by the way Holland won (my boy was playing for them ;)) they drew with Spain in the big match but won on points having beaten Brazil and Argentina.

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »
spain to cruise it.

I agree. I might be proved wrong but I think they are as 'invincible' as France were when they won the World Cup/Euros 10-12 years ago.

PompeyPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »
There's so many strong teams this year; after seeing the way Germany have developed in the past 4 years I'm going to them like a couple more on here.  I'd love to see England raise that cup but I'm still going for Germany.

Looking forward to the opener very soon!

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
I think Spain and England are the best teams at the moment.

Argentina are a bit of a two man team and most of the press are backing them to go out early, Holland and Germany will probably make up the other semi final spots in my opinion.

Seenbetter

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 06:16:02 AM »
I can't see us winning it. The good news is that when our team come home early it should save some money and the fa could give it to some of our lower league clubs to help them out.
Spain for me, or Brazil, or Germany.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
I'm going for Argentina.

Where to start with Argentina? Well they have the best player and the worst manager in the tournament. Diego Maradona’s ability to get the most out of the squad at his disposal is at best questionable. We have not yet started the World Cup but Diego has already dropped a few clangers. Leaving Esteban Cambiasso out of the squad entirely and then announcing Juan Sebastian Veron will play every game alongside captain Javier Mascherano is verging on lunacy. Cambiasso was integral to Inter Milan’s Champions League triumph, whereas Veron has been plying his trade back in Argetina’s domestic league. No slight to Argentinian domestic football but I know which one I would rate higher. Javier Mascherano is an excellent holding midfielder but going forward is totally benign, leaving the central area of this Argentine team lacking in any attacking verve.

Equally as insane as leaving Cambiasso out was Maradona’s decision to select no real full-backs in his squad. Diego has already declared his full-backs will be central defenders and will not be going beyond the half way line. The previous three World Cup winners may have something to say about the virtues of attacking full-backs though; Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizerazu for France in 98, Cafu and Roberto Carlos for Brazil in 2002, and Gianluca Zambrotta and Fabio Grosso for Italy in 2006. In each of these tournaments the full backs were integral parts of the attacking line ups of each time. Argentina are on a road to nowhere with their lack of attacking options.

With restricted full backs and an immobile central midfield of Veron and Mascherano, almost all Argentina’s attacking verve is going to have come from the little man Messi. His performances for the national team are nowhere near as good as for Barcelona and I actually think he will struggle to make an impact with only Gonzalo Higuain and the Angel Di Maria for company going forward. Diego Milito or Carlos Tevez may also play but Maradona has been insistent to play Messi in the hole behind a lone striker. When they come up against a team that can defend well in two banks of four, I can see them struggling to score goals. That said Angel Di Maria is a very exciting player and I can see him overshadowing some of his higher profile team-mates; at 20/1 to be the Top Argentina scorer he could be of interest.

Briefly one more thing Diego. Martin Palermo? Why oh why?

Add these massive question marks to the shocking performances in qualifying and you wonder what Argentina are doing around the 7/1 mark? Messi has ensured they are at least 3 points shorter than they should be, an easy group helps also, but in reality there is absolutely no value in backing Argentina now. Rather I will be looking for ways to take them on. The group looks relatively straightforward but South Korea, Greece and Nigeria are not to be underestimated; they are organised defensive units, exactly the type of team I expect Argentina to struggle against. A small dabble on Argentina to fall at the first hurdle is advisable but a better bet is backing Argentina to struggle to hit the net. Under 5.5 goals in the group stage is even money with Bwin and that looks a really good bet.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
I'm going for Argentina.

Where to start with Argentina? Well they have the best player and the worst manager in the tournament. Diego Maradona’s ability to get the most out of the squad at his disposal is at best questionable. We have not yet started the World Cup but Diego has already dropped a few clangers. Leaving Esteban Cambiasso out of the squad entirely and then announcing Juan Sebastian Veron will play every game alongside captain Javier Mascherano is verging on lunacy. Cambiasso was integral to Inter Milan’s Champions League triumph, whereas Veron has been plying his trade back in Argetina’s domestic league. No slight to Argentinian domestic football but I know which one I would rate higher. Javier Mascherano is an excellent holding midfielder but going forward is totally benign, leaving the central area of this Argentine team lacking in any attacking verve.

Equally as insane as leaving Cambiasso out was Maradona’s decision to select no real full-backs in his squad. Diego has already declared his full-backs will be central defenders and will not be going beyond the half way line. The previous three World Cup winners may have something to say about the virtues of attacking full-backs though; Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizerazu for France in 98, Cafu and Roberto Carlos for Brazil in 2002, and Gianluca Zambrotta and Fabio Grosso for Italy in 2006. In each of these tournaments the full backs were integral parts of the attacking line ups of each time. Argentina are on a road to nowhere with their lack of attacking options.

With restricted full backs and an immobile central midfield of Veron and Mascherano, almost all Argentina’s attacking verve is going to have come from the little man Messi. His performances for the national team are nowhere near as good as for Barcelona and I actually think he will struggle to make an impact with only Gonzalo Higuain and the Angel Di Maria for company going forward. Diego Milito or Carlos Tevez may also play but Maradona has been insistent to play Messi in the hole behind a lone striker. When they come up against a team that can defend well in two banks of four, I can see them struggling to score goals. That said Angel Di Maria is a very exciting player and I can see him overshadowing some of his higher profile team-mates; at 20/1 to be the Top Argentina scorer he could be of interest.

Briefly one more thing Diego. Martin Palermo? Why oh why?

Add these massive question marks to the shocking performances in qualifying and you wonder what Argentina are doing around the 7/1 mark? Messi has ensured they are at least 3 points shorter than they should be, an easy group helps also, but in reality there is absolutely no value in backing Argentina now. Rather I will be looking for ways to take them on. The group looks relatively straightforward but South Korea, Greece and Nigeria are not to be underestimated; they are organised defensive units, exactly the type of team I expect Argentina to struggle against. A small dabble on Argentina to fall at the first hurdle is advisable but a better bet is backing Argentina to struggle to hit the net. Under 5.5 goals in the group stage is even money with Bwin and that looks a really good bet.
Ok i will go for Germany then.  ;D
I must admit, had a look at the Argies squad it looks very beatable! Obviously messi will probabaly not get the same service as he does for Barca.

And as for Maradonna some might say he is a bit of a loose cannon, also not sure if he has much managerial experience.
So Germany it is then (but hopefully England!!) BELIEVE!!
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »
Don't you mean:

Ich glaube!