Author Topic: 10 most significant games is bostons history  (Read 4321 times)

Swinesheader

• View Profile
10 most significant games is bostons history
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:07 AM »
What do posters believe to be the 10 most important games in our history?

Naturally you would put Saturdays game as one of them

the 1985 trophy final?
The game at derby in the cup?
Our win at Hayes?
The win at southport?

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: 10 most significant games is bostons history
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
Stamford July 07

The first game of the new era after coming so close to the end!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »
Nothing from October 98-May 02 and then March 04-May 07 count in my book.

I remember we had a pretty mediocre time in 78/9 when we almost missed the cut for the 1st APL season, so what would have happened if we'd missed out doesn't bear thinking about.

Shrewsbury away in the 1st league season was big, as was the Bournemouth home game that year.

Saturday was all about getting back on the map, next season should be all about building for a successful 2011/12 season.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »
FA Cup 2nd round 1956/57: Derby County 1 Boston United 6. The first time that the rest of the country knew that Boston United existed, and the day that I first came to understand what football fever really was. I am still not cured.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
Not as old as some but

24th August 2002,  Pilgrims 2 Imps 0 and the speed at which Daryl Clare silenced and emptied the townend.  Despite everything that went on in those troubled times.  I still remember that as being a great day in the history of the club and the celebrations it caused.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
When we beat Workington 2-0 in our very first game in the BSN. After a turbulent summer and with eleven complete strangers playing their first competitive game together, to still win was a marvellous achievement.

I think Tommy Taylor did a very good job in difficult circumstances, it's just a shame it all went downhill for him in the Unibond.

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
Not as old as some but

24th August 2002,  Pilgrims 2 Imps 0 and the speed at which Daryl Clare silenced and emptied the townend.  Despite everything that went on in those troubled times.  I still remember that as being a great day in the history of the club and the celebrations it caused.
it was most certainly a good win that to say the least but tbh i think saterday has to go well up the top ten simply because of the 4/5 really bad years that we have just put behind us.the fans and every body else connected to the club has had to suffer some real crap one way or other but the most significant fact about winning this match for me is the sucess facter it brings for mr newton and mr kempster,after all if it were not for them there probably wouldnt have been anything.
"till saturday comes"

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
 Boston 2 Hayes 0
 Boston 2 Bradford 1
 Boston 6 Glouchster 1
 Boston 1 Fulham 4
 Boston 2 Lincoln 0
 Boston 2 Bournemouth 2
Boston 0 Forest Green 0

All massive memorable games.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
I will be honest there is no way I could comment on the 10 most significant games in our history as im only 30.

I do agree with all above on the games choosen and im sure there are many more. The Sheffield Utd game which Ken has on you tube looked a good game and would raised awareness like the Derby county game. For me the most significant game that Ive watched is the 6-0 win at home to Shrewsbury where we had been on a club record losing streak and we tipped the balance and sent Shrewsbury into freefall and proved to ourselves we could compete in the FL.