Author Topic: Memorable moments of the season  (Read 8337 times)

John C

• View Profile
Memorable moments of the season
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
We've said it before but it bears repeating that for the first time in years we can be proud of our board and our managers and our players. This time last year there was talk of it being Boston's worst season ever and whilst this probably hasn't been been the best one ever, it surely is as good a one as we've had in ages.

But are there any particular moments you remember from the campaign? The penalty at home to Guiseley is one for me. 1-0 down and Newsham already subbed, Danny Sleath just picks the ball up and marches to the spot, not worrying about the inquiring looks from other players. Then he coolly slots it home as if he'd been doing it all season. That game was the one I started believing we might actually win the play-offs...

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: Memorable moments of the season
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
Nantwich away, turning a 5-0 double thrashing into a 4-0 win.  First time we actually left the ground thinking, yeah we might actually do this.

This year I only missed...

Burscough away,
Kendal away,
Whitby away,
Corby away.

Spot a pattern?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »

Burscough away,
Kendal away,
Whitby away,
Corby away.

Corby away?  ???

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »
Guiesly at home
Buxton home and away
Retford away
Nantwich away
Yesterday obviously

only missed Durham Ashton Quorn and  Whitby all away this season  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:07:44 PM by Big-Tom »

CRANWELL PILGRIM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
On the football side FC United of Manchester away, a win first game,  Retford away and yesterday.
On the non football side Newsham's old man and Jan telling "Prattman", sitting behind us, to shut the f##k up. Been ever so peaceful since :D

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:22:24 PM »
FCUM away-great way to start the season.
FCUM home-the atmosphere and Canners goal
Both games with Guiseley
Retford away-revenge is sweet
Buxton home-the late,late winner from SWD

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:36:54 PM »
So many moments, for me and this isn't an exhaustive list:

First game of the season against FCUM and the realisation even then the team was good enough to get a top half finish.

The comeback against Guiseley, was a terrible day arriving 20 minutes into the game and then to see Guiseley get a dubious pen just before half time. What proved to be a feature of the season, came out second half and scored 3 without reply playing some great football against what turned out to be the best team in this league. Danny Sleath's half volley was quality.

Hucknall at home, getting chance after chance only to fall 2-1 behind - then Jamie Clark getting that last minute equaliser

Buxton away - after a run of poor result Suarez getting a late goal for us to win 1-0 that sent us on a run to the top of the league

Nantwich away - after the two 5-0 maulings last year to beat them 4-0 to go top was phenomenal. Dan Cotton scoring an outragous goal from about 25 yards and near the touchline.

Ossett away - 5-0 win that took us back top, remember getting all the other results in the pouring rain and the joy of going top again

Buxton home - the late goal from them that looked like they had taken a point only for us to get a last minute winner - with 10 men. Turning point of the season

Ashton away - another ground where we where humiliated 3-0 last season. Won 2-0, both Guiseley and BPA lost there so a result that shouldn't be underestimated.

Retford away and Nantwich at home - as has been said revenge is sweet

Frickley and FCUM at home - going in behind in both at half time, then playing some great football to end up winning both comfortably. Canners strike in the FCUM game

Guiseley at home - behind most of the game and yet another second half comeback and another last minute goal.

Both play-off games. 2 quality strikes against Ferriby, Jamie Yates was good but Newsham's volley surpassed it. ANd yet another second half comeback against BPA.

Didn't miss a game like last season, that was another highlight much better journeys home  ;D

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
Most of the memorable moments have been covered but there was one nobody has mentioned. Pre season in the sports bar we were introduced to the new managers by David Newton, We all sat there saying who are these two? It was memorable to me because the chairman said he wanted stability and a mid table finish as a minimum to which Scotty replied "we want promotion".
Yesterday is what memories are made of, Being stranded at Ferrybridge service station on a bus with a knackered gearbox and arriving half an hour after kick off to be told to queue at the one poxy turnstile, we didn't we entered through the double gates so that was 52 extra Boston fans to add to the very dubious gate.
When half time arrived I was parched and joined the queue for the "bottle bar" this took up most of the half time break, In this queue was the chairman and we had a little chat as the queue got shorter, when we got to the door of the bottle bar to my horror and the amusement of the chairman and others I discovered I had spent all that time in the queue for the poxy little toilet. however I did walk accross to the bar where there was no bloody queue and knecked a pint that did not touch the sides.
I would not have missed yesterday for the world.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Buxton and Guisely at home with their late drama, getting Revenge on Nantwich with a double thrashing and Nathan Korentang's first goal against Durham - straight after Newsham's goal. I know it was only Durham's kids but it was still a great goal. Perhaps we could get him back on loan next season as I don't think the BSN is full of thugs and he might be a bit stronger and able to cope with it better.

Seenbetter

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »
Biggest downer for me was witnessing the very, very poor quality of refereeing I have ever seen during the majority of the games played. Probably only a couple of good displays and one exceptionally good display by a ref from a higher league.
Another downer was watching that crap Retford team with all there bullying, bruising, bad gamesmanship methods to get points.
The high point has got to be the home tie with FCUM. A great day with their great support. If there is one team I would like to see win promotion next year it has to be them.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »

Burscough away,
Kendal away,
Whitby away,
Corby away.

Corby away?  ???

Quorn sorry, was reading something else at the same time.  That being the lost of shitholes we have to go to next year.  But they are a better class of shithole and we're doing it as a two fingers to the conf organization.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:19:23 PM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »
The FCUM fans delivered another memorable moment for me when they started doing the conga despite seeing their team 4-1 down! How many other visiting fans did that (granted most of teams visiting support didn't number enough to start a decent conga line).

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, will beat the ball taking an extra big bounce at Ossett and going in over the keeper.  Funny just does not cover it, fantastic moment from a fantastic season.

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »
It's already been mentioned but Retford away and realising that we had a team this year that wouldn't be bullied and could stand toe to toe and scrap it out as well as play entertaining and attractive football if allowed.

Also Durham at home. It might sound condescending but it was refreshing to see their spirit and commitment, particularly when compared with the attitude of some of the so called stars in leagues above us

Joe65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
The FCUM game at home was brilliant.
Fantastic atmosphere and wonderful day, it felt like we were back in the big time that day.