Author Topic: Tommy Taylor in the Gold Cup  (Read 10926 times)

nerevs9

• View Profile
Tommy Taylor in the Gold Cup
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »
Someone on ImpsTalk I think had mentioned that Tommy Taylor had taken over the Grenada National Team. They play the USA in their Gold Cup opener tomorrow night (will probably be 10-0 USA but who knows). I saw a few articles about them online:

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2009/07/scouting-report-grenada.html

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=33019

Looks like they don't even have many professionals on their team, it'll definitely be interesting. I'm going to see them play next weekend against Honduras, I'm hoping I can get a chance to talk to Tommy and get his take on some of the recent happenings with Boston (hopefully he's not bitter about the firing).

Hugo

• View Profile
Re: Tommy Taylor in the Gold Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
Well, the USA that is playing Grenada is very different to the one that beat spain 2-0 - this is their B or even C team, but they still should be comfortable winners.

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:24:07 AM »
After 55 mins it is 2-0 USA - Boston United have got a mention or two!! Amazing!

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »
After 55 mins it is 2-0 USA - Boston United have got a mention or two!! Amazing!

Thanks for keeping us informed Hugo

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
Ended 4-0

nerevs9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Yeah, I thought Grenada actually did well, they were pretty organized and didn't give us too many chances. Even though it was our C team, they were never going to have a chance with the players they had. I heard Boston mentioned early in the second half, when they said it was the last place he had coached at- I don't think they elaborated past that.

Hugo, did you say you are going to school in the US?

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »
Yeah I am, going to GWU in Washington DC.

I wonder how many other Unibond premier clubs have ever been mentioned live on american tv? Maybe one should take on the Boston Goals feature?!?

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »

hey hugo if you see any good players intrested in coming over to england let us know

nerevs9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
Yeah I am, going to GWU in Washington DC.

I wonder how many other Unibond premier clubs have ever been mentioned live on american tv? Maybe one should take on the Boston Goals feature?!?

How do you like it there so far? You hear Real Madrid is playing there on August 9th?

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
Well i have just finished freshman orientation, and it was awesome! I start for real at the end of august, so unfortunatly I will miss the real Madrid game :(

nerevs9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 06:25:14 AM »
I wouldn't be too worried about missing Real Madrid Hugo, I looked into going since I'll be starting a new job in Pennsylvania the week before, but that was until I saw the prices! It's not worth close to 100 bucks to see Ronaldo prance around from the upper decks, there's a better view on television anyway.

I just got back from the Gold Cup games- Grenada got thrashed by Honduras and ended the tournament 0-3 with no goals scored (although Shalrie Joseph was injured). After the USA game, I put on my Boston gear and sat behind the Grenada bench- Tommy saw me at halftime and laughed and came over and said hello but that was it, I didn't really get to talk to him at all.

Interestingly, I showed my Boston shirt to some fans beforehand and some of the people I see around at matches said they had bought scarves (and in one case a coffee mug) on Ebay and wanted shirts but hadn't been able to find one yet. It's too bad the Official Site won't ship out of the UK because several people today said they had checked there hoping to buy one. In fact, the OS wouldn't even ship to me when I had a UK address at university because my debit card wasn't linked to that address. I had that god-awful white "Downtown" jersey for a bit, although a while back I was able to get a sweet yellow-and-black striped one. Took a lot of Ebay searching though.

I wonder if that is something the club will ever change, and if there is a tangible reason for it (maybe out of country monetary transactions are unreliable?). You can always charge extra shipping for overseas. There aren't all that many hardcore soccer fans over here, but from my interactions with them I get the impression that most of the real big fans in the Boston area are at least aware of BUFC, and while none seem to have followed it like I have, many at least are interested that there is a Boston team in England- and I've seen one or two other United shirts here over the years. Anyway, I bet if they ever shipped to the USA they would get more than a few orders for shirts and scarves from this area. I know I would occasionally buy a match DVD just for a chance to see the current team. I can understand not shipping to sketchy places, but in this day and age a transaction from the USA to England must be something that can be handled easily and safely, right?

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
Chalker Please Note!!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
I can understand not shipping to sketchy places, but in this day and age a transaction from the USA to England must be something that can be handled easily and safely, right?

Nah. As well as various internet fraud schemes - auction fraud, credit card fraud, counterfeit cheques, reshipping fraud - you've also got the issues of higher postage and packing charges, taxes and import duty.

Last time I looked the USA was the biggest source of internet fraud, so not dealing with them looks a safe option for BUFC to me!

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
Well I am hoping the new shirt is availbable before I leave for uni, otherwise I will have to send it home and ask them to send it here.  How about PayPal? That is secure and anyone can use it?!

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
I can understand not shipping to sketchy places, but in this day and age a transaction from the USA to England must be something that can be handled easily and safely, right?

Nah. As well as various internet fraud schemes - auction fraud, credit card fraud, counterfeit cheques, reshipping fraud - you've also got the issues of higher postage and packing charges, taxes and import duty.

Last time I looked the USA was the biggest source of internet fraud, so not dealing with them looks a safe option for BUFC to me!

USA is only the biggest because they have the most computers! Also, if you put it as a gift you don't pay for customs, and shipping to USA of a shirt is about £10-15, so if people are willing to pay I don't see why not!