Author Topic: We`re up!  (Read 17804 times)

Seenbetter

Re: We`re up!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
I am so dissappointed. Saw the photo of the bloke with his two dogs. If I had known they were allowed I could have taken mine, he's very good at retrieving balls.  :D
Fantastic day. If Hurst thinks they didn,t give us much to worry about he should have been sitting where I was.   ::)
What a great season for many different reasons, meeting friendly supporters from other clubs, away trips for a pie and a pint, seeing other United supporters I have never seen before because we are in different areas of the ground and meeting Newshams dad. If ever there is a war I want him on my side( hope we sit next to you next season at Boston).
As for the trophy, did someone just nip out and nick it from the nearby cemetry.
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
If Hurst thinks they didn,t give us much to worry about he should have been sitting where I was.   ::)

Indeed. At the start of the second half BPA created some very good chances. There was one particularly good save from Tom Evans and another effort that hit the crossbar. Had 1-0 become 2-0, then I think we would have been feeling a bit different today. But the game turned when Ryan Semple came on. It was a great cross to set up Newsham's goal and we ended the match the stronger side. The winner from, ahem, Lee Canoville (see link below), was fully deserved.

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?newsmode=FULL&nid=66548

For anyone sat in BPA's main stand there were "blind spots" around the pitch where spectators couldn't see through the green and white striped dugouts. Presumably the reported for the Non League website must have been sat in one of those blind spots to have not seen who actually scored.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
The trophy did look like a flower vase but what else can we expect from a tin-pot league. It may well be in Mr Newtons office with flowers in it now  :).  A big well done to everyone at the club, it's nice to know that we've won promotion legally this time and it's also nice to know that Bob Blackburn's money has failed to buy promotion for BPA - again  ;D.  By the way has anyone spotted Avenuefan on here lately only I haven't seen a post from him congratulating us for winning promotion.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:15:50 AM by Deeping Pilgrim »

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
I suspect the trophy is now holding the ashes of Retford, NFU and now Bradford!

gordonchas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
Firstly, I want to congratulate Boston United on your success and wish you well as you attempt to get back to a level of football you were denied through no fault of yourselves, the fans.

It was a game that could have gone either way and you came through in the end and all experienced the joy that brings. On the other side, fans of my club, who are just as passionate and committed as your own, are dejected having come so close. I don't expect anyone to be bothered about that, though being an incredibly nice person myself, I would have had the boot been on the other foot.

So congratulations to the loyal fans of Boston United

It's just a shame that in a moment like this, when you should be celebrating, some posters only want to have a got at Bradford. Yes, it's a c*** ground and a c*** pitch. You think we don't know that? The current owner has been trying to change that, but of course that is also good for a giggle on here by some.  And yes, we know Bob Blackburn is funding a team we couldn't otherwise afford and he has failed to buy us promotion. Although I should point out that Guiseley's owners "bought" the title instead, and you could say David Newton has bought Boston promotion as well, because your own club is hardly self sufficient.

But to the overwhelming majority, good luck and long may your success continue.

To the others, just try and be a bit more magnanimous in victory, eh fellas?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
Spain for pre-season, again, perhaps? ;D
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
The current owner has been trying to change that, but of course that is also good for a giggle on here by some.  And yes, we know Bob Blackburn is funding a team we couldn't otherwise afford and he has failed to buy us promotion. Although I should point out that Guiseley's owners "bought" the title instead, and you could say David Newton has bought Boston promotion as well, because your own club is hardly self sufficient.

To the others, just try and be a bit more magnanimous in victory, eh fellas?

I'm sorry, I must have missed David Newton posting on here bragging about how much money he was spending on the club and PROMISING successive promotions to the Football League within five years. When did that happen?

gordonchas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
Well, that was quick wasn't it?

It seems like there are many people who just want to throw my good wishes back in my face. Gloating is not a very attractive trait.

You have a very good Chairman. That's hardly the question. Yesterday's defeat hurts a lot more people than our owner.

Look, I'm not going to get into some pointless to-ing-and-fro-ing.

But you first responders do seem to have no understanding of what it is to be a fan, which is amazing seeing as what your club went through. I only hope the majority do.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »
Actually, Gordon, after what we've been through over the last few years, I think the vast majority of Boston United fans have an acute awareness of what it means to be a 'good' football fan. That involves not blindly believing your chairman or taking what he tells you at face value, not buying into dubious stadium development projects and having an inherent suspicion of big buck charlatans ploughing money into playing budgets and making promises they can't keep.

Luckily we seem to have a chairman who is doing things the right way. Victory over a club that seems to be doing things the wrong way and making the same mistakes we did is vindication for everything he's trying to achieve here, which is to get this club back on its feet, living within its means and restoring a reputation destroyed over a decade of madness.

Yesterday was a massive first step towards that goal, and I for one am delighted we denied your club the chance to further Bob Blackburn's fag-packet ambitions.

freiston fan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
Great day all round great support,brilliant at the end mixing with the players on the pitch.Got to disagree with the fool who said shit ground, are you having a laugh.

Big social club , cheap beer, a club that allows its fans to stand outside with a beer in the hand and mix with the locals, excellent stewards and all round freindly place.

Also at the end the BPA players shaking hands with our fans and their supporters congratulating us in the bar afterwards.Would our home support do the same if we had just lost a play off final, not a prayer.

Great day, and mr chairman had a cue of people shaking his hand afterwards.

Roll on next season, however would be nice if there was a bit of do in the social club so we could go and show our appreciation to the players and management for this season.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 04:34:23 PM »
An End of Season do in the Pilgrim Lounge is a great idea Frieston Fan - hopefully someone at the club will have read that and put something into motion.  Gordonchas, there is no way Mr Newton bought promotion as the club is still losing money, we are just lucky enough to have a management duo who can bring in good players on a tight budget. Although I have to admit that Boston United is a big enough 'name' in non-league football to attract players who would be happy to play for the club despite perhaps not being offered the biggest wage.

I for one wish BPA success next season but there are people in the game, like Mr Blackburn, who have big ideas for non-league clubs then bail out if it goes all wrong - Leigh Genesis anyone?

Seenbetter

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
A bit of compassion for BPA supporters. Just remember how miffed we all felt after only drawing at Marine. At least we had a second chance with yesterdays game to get promotion. Theres no 2nd chance for BPA now and I think next year will be really tough for them and most of the other upper echelon clubs in that league. One really good thing about that league was that you could visit other clubs and have a good friendly shouting match with them and go in there bars and have a drink without fear of trouble. I hope it's like that next season for us.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
I hope it's like that next season for us.

Should be, it's only two seasons since we were in that league and in many ways there's not a huge amount of difference between the NPL and BSN in terms of set up, facilities, fans, clubhouses etc.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »
I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the Bradford fans, they were top most of the season and to lose in the final like that must have been tough.  So unlucky to their fans and all the best for next season.   Who knows what the future holds for B.P.A. but I'm sure we wouldn't wish our experiences of the Evans era on them.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
I wouldn't wish our experiences of the Evans era on any team, not even Lincoln (Ouch, that hurt to write that)