Author Topic: GAH!  (Read 24012 times)

Czuczmans Rocket

• View Profile
Re: GAH!
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
After yesterday i'm gutted but still confident we can go up. We were poor, no doubt about it, the players and managers all felt the same after the game, we just didn't seem to get going. Typical end of season stuff with the hard bumpy pitch and a strong wind, the ball was always up in the air so we never gained our momentum.

You have to credit Marine, who were never going to lay down and let us walk all over them, they stuck to their task and carried out their job. Marine i feel are a credit to non league and have been for as long as i can remember. I turned up at the ground early and was greeted with a warm handshake from the Chairman, who then let me inside the ground to look around whilst we chatted about our league and other stuff. All the fans and stewards etc were really friendly and i even travelled back on the train to central Liverpool with one who again was great company. Far from pathetic in my eyes. Nice to see John McKenna in the social club after as well, a top bloke who always has time to speak. If i were a NFU player i wouldn't relish coming down here on  Tuesay night infront of a bumper crowd. Keep the faith, our season is not dead!!!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »
It was obvious very early we were in for a tough afternoon. They are a decent side and their defending was solid - SWD got nothing all afternoon. They also had one or two exceptional players - their number 11 in particular (I think it was 11, the guy with the white boots anyway) is a genuinely classy player bobbing around a few levels below where he should be.

You can't really blame the pitch of the ref or Marine for not supplying enough pies. The fact is we had an off day and simply did not turn up. It happens, it's just unfortunate it happened when it did with the title so close. In some ways it's worse that we clawed our way to the top only to lose it on the final day, because a few weeks ago I'd have been delighted with the playoffs!! I'm trying to bear that in mind, but I'm a natural pessimist (or so I keep being told) and I really do not fancy sharing a league with Halifax next season - I have a feeling they're going to demolish this division whether we're in it or not.

Gutted. Gutted. Gutted.

See you Tuesday night.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »
Can,t comment on match as i did not go . As someone stated when we have had a off day the managers and players have always come up trumps next match. Since Christmas we have played 17 league games and gathered 41 points , over a season this form would walk the league  (90+pts) .   I can see our honest bunch of lads coming out on Tues and live up to this form . As stated elsewhere any other week a draw at M arine would have been considered a good result.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
Marine away was always going to be a mega tough game.  I think we should all move away from blaming the ref etc, congratulate Guiseley and move on - after all we need to as we have two(hopefully!) massive games to focus on now.  I know the players will feel crushed, I certainly do, but the prize is still there and if that doesn't motivate them, nothing will.  When you think about it, as far as the title goes, we looked dead and buried at Christmas.  Hats off to the lads they produced what can only be described as a magnificent sequence of results to give us a chance of the Title.  I don't begrudge them losing it as they earned themselves that chance.  How much of a pick me up before the game would it be if they entered the pitch to a genuine heartfelt standing ovation?  Thats what they deserve for their efforts, which when held up against last seasons are a different class. 

As has been pointed out, we don't have a divine right to win anything, but there's no doubt since Christmas we have been amongst the best sides, if not the best.  So lets get behind the boys tuesday night and show our support and appreciation for a great season!

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
Marine away has always been a tough game, anyone who thought differently was fooling themselves. The game was as close as I thought it'd be but I personally thought we'd nick a goal and be hanging on at the end.

As far as Marine's handling of the say thought it was first class, friendly stewards, a bar just for our fans and 2 sides of the ground.

Whatever happens Tuesday and hopefully Saturday, even if it means we ultimately end up in the same league again it has been a great season, the players, management and chairman have done us proud. As has been said we need to let them know Tuesday how much we appreciate the effort that has been put in.

And if anybody can turn this around it is the players and management we have here at the moment.

ragman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:28 PM »
Woad - I agree, are your managers the ones that got Il'son promoted last season?

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »
Yes mate. Their loss has been our gain, they didn't renew the contracts or even contact them for weeks after the season ended so when we approached them they took the opportunity to get our club moving in the right direction again, which they have whatever the outcome of the play-offs.

ragman

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »
 Thought they were, as you say Ilsons loss, your gain.  Hope you stick with them woad, done a good job for you in their first season. ;) Once you win the playoffs, you should "piss that tinpot league"  ;D

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2010, 11:21:39 PM »
Marine's organisation was excellent. Something that cannot be said for Birmingham New Street or London Midland trains which meant I and 5 others arrived at 3.45 rather than 1.15.

Feel really gutted over 24 hours later as it was so close but just hope that we can do it in the play offs although I amnot as optimistic as a big crowd may go against our playersif they don't start well and may inspire NFU. Let's hope I am wrong.

As Pete said, I feel that we need to go up this year as Halifax may well walk the league next year andFCUM, Marine and Nantwich may be much stronger too. If a new Chester team comes in this level then that may make itbeven more difficult.

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 12:42:05 AM »
Couldn't make it to Marine so can't really comment, but it sounds like a bad day at the office and we've all had them.

Let's not forget that being a Pilgrim is never boring but this year the excitement's been for all the right reasons. Let Rob and Paul do the job they've been doing brilliantly all year, the players carry on and avenge Saturday's result and they've done before and us for our part get behind them and raise the roof Tuesday night.

Tamara

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »
It was disappointing on Saturday but hey ho got to look to the playoffs now!
I was very impressed with the organisation at Marine, everyone was really friendly and helpful. The steward near us liked the sound of his own voice a bit to much though!
Walking back to the car a few people asked where Boston was etc and wished us well. Then at the Leisure Centre there was a group of "children" acting like big boys with their colourful language. They even insulted my 7 year old who acts older than what they were! Everywhere gets them though!
Thanks to ragman who is a great poster on here, for the tips he gave regarding parking and somewhere to go on the Sunday. We ended up  going to Knowsley Safari Park because Jack saw a leaflet for it.
Was an enjoyable weekend despite the result.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
 Just a final few words on Sats game ..
   Lovely day and lovely welcome at Marine
  It was a gentle 20 min Merseyrail down for us ..we too had banter with Club official .. then Police on gate .
      They could n't get their heads round the better alf being  Local and me (born in ) Boston .
   Regarding Tactics . with the pitch resembling a school playground  due to the dry weather , lack of cover and the drying wind off the Mersey . . first bounce was going over most of our ball players heads .. fact .
  So maybe we should have kept our taller players on longer ..
        DD could have done a Viera type holding role  in the middle . .keeping Semple right ..feeding up to sayMikel/Newsh or Mikel /SWD . .
         I think we could have had more possession that way .
          As I said Merseyside Police take their football seriously , with them (commanded by Steven Gerrard lookalike with red-tipped stick) stopping the traffic as  we were leaving .

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:33:27 AM by father Ted »

Pride of Bostonshire

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
Let's be honest, completely out of context, a 0-0 at Marine is a good result. 

A lot of people are being harsh on Marine I think.  They are a tough side to play against (I seem to remember them beating a certain Yorkshi*e club 2-0 with ten men only one week ago) and they did a great job organizing the whole day.  We did OK on a day when it just didn't fall for us.  It'll be tough to lift the team after the disappointment of not winning the league but that's only because we got lucky to be in the driving seat to start with.  If we'd gone into the last day with no hope of winning the league then 0-0 would've been a great result.

Let's keep our heads up, crack on, and support the lads in the play-offs.

One aside, I have heard from someone who went to watch Halifax the other day that they are playing football well above this level quality wise.  They keep it up and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the league next year.

Swineshead Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
maybe they are,but didn't we beat them in the unibond cup? Don't get me wrong, i'd like to be out of this league next season, but with a similar squad to this year we should be at the top given we shouldn't suffer from the need to 'gel'. Only problem being that i can see a few of our lads being offered contracts at a higher level..

Pride of Bostonshire

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »
Apparently they are much better now than when we played them in the cup.