Author Topic: From the Standard website  (Read 3355 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
From the Standard website
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »
Pilgrims to cash in on Setanta demise

Rob Scott

:
01 July 2009
By Duncan Browne
Wednesday, 9am - BOSTON United reckon the strength of their squad could be boosted by the demise of TV network Setanta Sports.
The Irish broadcaster – which has deals to screen several football divisions including the Blue Square Premier – went in to administration last week after failing to make payments to a number of sporting organisations.

The Premier League and the Scottish Premier League were among those they failed to pay – while the Conference is now left without a TV deal.

Although he was not celebrating the channel's demise, Pilgrims joint-boss Rob Scott pointed out how the station's collapse could favour him and fellow manager Paul Hurst as they attempt to build a successful squad on a tight budget.

"It will affect the Conference – I understand each club there is looking to lose out on about £70,000," he said.

"It will affect their budgets, and players at that level expecting good money may find it's not around any more.

"That could have an affect at UniBond level as well."

Hurst and Scott currently have a squad of seven – but believe their numbers will be added to soon.

Scott believes we are now entering the time of the summer where the clubs begin to hold the aces.

He added: "There were players we were interested in who wanted wages we couldn't afford.

"But those who haven't got clubs yet have started coming to us and talking about amounts of money similar to what we're willing to pay.

"As non-league footballers don't all get paid in the summer, a lot don't feel the need to sign up to a club as soon as possible and try to get better deals.

"But it happens across football.

"I was talking to my brother (Brentford manager Andy) and he was telling me he's got players demanding silly money.

"The longer the summer goes on the more chance we have of getting better players for less."

Pilgrims chairman David Newton is not putting any pressure on managers to create a squad in the immediate future.

He told The Standard: "They've signed some very good players, well within the budget."

Stumpy

• View Profile
Re: From the Standard website
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
Hmm, didn't realise before now that Rob Scott was the brother of Brentford manager Andy Scott.

You never know, there could be the possibility of a loan or two from that quarter.