Author Topic: Bird On The Pitch  (Read 3973 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Bird On The Pitch
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »
Whilst not wanting to be too critical at this delicate stage of the season, I've not been overly impressed with Bird's contribution since joining the squad. I am not seeing how he is keeping the likes of Cullingworth and Parker out of the team as he is certainly no better on the evidence to date.

Having played at left back myself, I have watched his performances with interest and have been particularly disappointed with his distribution. In addition, his heading is poor - particularly when compared to the Guiseley left back and even Ben Chapman for Frickley last week. At Hucknall I noted that circa 75% of his passes did not reach their intended target.

Anyway, just an observation. It's the one area I think we are looking vunerable at the moment and hope this doesn't have an adverse impact across our remaining games.

DL

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bird On The Pitch
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
What do expect from a Grimsby player?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
In his defense he is quite imposing on the opposition but yes I'd tend to agree that he hasn't impressed.  But you have to keep in mind what a tight unit we have, it must be hard to break into a team performing that well and perform yourself with the same understanding.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

goodyntu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't believe that people are still moaning after the season we're having. Bird had a good game away at Hucknall, and been pretty solid in the two home games.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't believe that people are still moaning after the season we're having. Bird had a good game away at Hucknall, and been pretty solid in the two home games.

Absobloodylutely! This must be the best side we've had since we were dumped out of the league. If the managers ever read this site they must wonder what the fook they have to do to please some people. The lads only young, he's big strong and naturally left footed, he's played what, two, three games. If people really want to see a left back make a 40 yard pass and drop it on the foot of team mate, i'd say they'd have to pay a lot more that £10 £12 to get in!

check the grassy knoll
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
It's an observation lads - it's not moaning ! My opinion is that he does not add value over and above what we have already. I don't think he is worth relegating Cullingworth and/or Parker to the bench for. Being perfectionists I don't think the management duo will keep him in the squad for long. Being young, strong and naturally left-footed doesn't mean he is better than players we already have.

DL
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:34:40 AM by Daniel Lambert »

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:35:49 AM »

As I understand it Bird is predominantly a left-sided centre-half, and is therefore playing slightly out-of-position at left-back. Considering (i) his age, (ii) the fact that he is out-of-position, and (iii) he's come into a side which has been playing together all season and where he doesn't know any of the other players, I think Bird has played very well. I'd go so far as to say that, if I'd been awarding man-of-the-match on Saturday, he would have been amongst my top two or three candidates. His long throws are a useful weapon, and in my opinion he looks up earlier and distributes the ball better than Cullingworth.