Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 15480 times)

Dave H

• View Profile
Re: Today's game
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
By far the most industrious striker i have seen in a Pilgrims shirt is Stuart Douglas ,  I think he averaged about 2 goals a season and set up none for his team mates . I think apart from his goals much of Newshams contribution is overlooked by many fans.
 Going to read LCB posting now , (only looked at the photo !! ,)

Great point, everyone admired Stuart for his effort but you've got to look out how many goals he scored. The hardest thing for non-league managers is signing a prolific goal-scorer on reasonable wages, and in Newsham we have that, plenty of sides will be queuing up to sign him at the end of the season. Let's hope we get promoted else we might not be able to see his "tap in's" ;D next season !

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
I was in the minority who thought douglas ran around like a headless chicken and did not appreciate his "work" as it was generally misplaced and not for the good of the team.  I don't doubt his ethic and desire for the cause but give me Newsham any day.

When played out wide he tracked back and worked for the team very well, as has been said on this thread.  the only complaint was the chances he missed on monday but it was better for him to be there to miss them than not be there at all.  It may be this perceived lack of effort that would deny a man who has 25 goals this season the POTY award when he would normally be nailed on for it, but my vote goes to Pearson.

Let's hope that we go up and keep both of them as well as the core of the squad.

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
i cant believe any boston fan can possibly criticise newsh,s contribution to our outstanding season so far.feck me what do you want   ???
"till saturday comes"

Czuczmans Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
I can't really believe we're even doubting Newsham what so ever, last year we could'nt buy a goal at times (just look at last seasons fixtures and notice the distinct lack of goals for large chunks of the season). True, he may not chase back and hassle defences like Ricky Millar did at the end of last season but do you think ricky would have banged in 25 with games still left to play? Maybe not, who knows.

I like Newsham, he's young and still developing physically so my opinion is that he will only improve with age and end up plying his trade at a higher level in the years to come. I hope thats with us but i think he will get snappped up if we fail to progress. It was often said that a certain Ian Rush "went missing" for 89 mins of a game but popped up and did the business time after time. Anyone who sticks the ball in the old "onion net" 25 times will do for me. It's a great indication though of our rise again as a club if we are even debating such a topic, i remember less than a year ago i was scratching my head for a player of the year and could think of perhaps two players i wanted us to retain in the close season.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
i cant believe any boston fan can possibly criticise newsh,s contribution to our outstanding season so far.feck me what do you want   ???

It's called knit picking cappo. To all the knockers of Newsh just think were we would be without his 20 odd goals. Strikers are a rare breed and work rate is not important for a good striker. If he ran his guts out and back tracked all the time he most definately would not be our top goal scorer.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »

It's called knit picking cappo. To all the knockers of Newsh just think were we would be without his 20 odd goals. Strikers are a rare breed and work rate is not important for a good striker. If he ran his guts out and back tracked all the time he most definately would not be our top goal scorer.
I'm not sure there has been anyone knocking Newsh....................except maybe an implied criticism from the father of a player currently out on loan......... ;)

Czuczmans Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
Thought you'd be tucked up in bed by now Kim  :o

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »

I'm not sure there has been anyone knocking Newsh....................except maybe an implied criticism from the father of a player currently out on loan......... ;)
Exactly right OCM that is the only forum contributer who has critisized Newsh, it was him who first called him "tap in". Personally if Newsh had played up front instead of wide midfield we'd be talking about a 30+ goal contribution now as well.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »

Before this thread gets completley out of context can we put to bed any alledged criticism of Mark
Newsham's performances this season.Any comments forwarded on to this forum by a father of a player
currently out on loan were always made from observations and were never intended to be critical or to
offend. Problems associated with these type of discussion forums are there is always someone who will
read to much into a comment and open up that proverbial 'can of worms' which takes a quite innocent
comment completley out of context.
Fact.. Newsham is not that type of box to box forward and I have seen better workrate from other squad
players, Fact.. no one is taking away his goal to appearance ratio neither the number of tap ins and
spot kicks he has contributed within his 25goal tally so far this season. As I have commented on before,
Mark Newsham is not my type of player and given consideration to the fact we all live in a democratic
society with freedom of speech surely I am entitled to those comments. I apologies if those sentiments
offend and would like to be given the opportunity of wishing Mark continued success.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:03:02 PM by sparks »
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »
Something that has never been mentioned in the 'Newsham debate' is his passing abilities.  Mark always looks for the simple ball when it is the best option. His pass completion rate is as good as anyone on the pitch every game. Newsham also shows great maturity for a young lad and it is obvious at times he had his football education at a higher level. He is a traditional footballer- keeps the ball on the grass and takes a pop at goal when given the chance and also has a few tricks of his own. If you look at the other successful forwards of recent times Daryl Clare was rarely seen in our defensive third but scored goals galore unlike Mark Rawle who's goal to game ratio wasn't as good as either Newsham's or Clare's. The other two mentioned were involved in promotion winning seasons in their first season lets hope Newsham makes it a hat-trick!!!

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
Unfortunately Carl, I have just checked Ken's site and Rawle came to us half way through the 98/99 season and thus it was his second season that we won promotion (99/00).

I still echo the sentiment though.