Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 15506 times)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: Today's game
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

Newsham should have had a hat-trick today; he scored two from a combined distance of about three yards out, but then somehow managed to lob the ball over an empty goal in the second half.

It was more difficult than that makes it sound, he beat the keeper but players were getting back and just rolling it in wouldn't have been enough. It was quite a quick thought to loft it into the air over the players on the line but being his weaker foot it let him down. It wasn't a simple tap in  ;)
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
that pitch today was as bad as ive ever seen us play on ever and definitely didnt suit our football and at the end of the day they were rubbish so 4/1 really was a flattering result for us. great turnout supporter wise mind any body got an idea how many travelled today
"till saturday comes"

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »

Newsham should have had a hat-trick today; he scored two from a combined distance of about three yards out, but then somehow managed to lob the ball over an empty goal in the second half.

It was more difficult than that makes it sound, he beat the keeper but players were getting back and just rolling it in wouldn't have been enough. It was quite a quick thought to loft it into the air over the players on the line but being his weaker foot it let him down. It wasn't a simple tap in  ;)

With Newsham having adopted the nickname "Tap in"during the course of the season I dare say that
not many supporters are questioning his strike rate so far but unlike Lord Beckett's appraisal of his
goals yesterday I would tend to go with Leicester Pilgrims interpretation of Marks goals.Leicester Pilgrim
always imo gives a fair and unbaised anyalisis of the matches he attends and would make a good Club
reporter should a position become available. As far as Newsham is concerned his strike rate is very
commendable but I have to question his work rate.
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:25:36 AM »
As far as Newsham is concerned his strike rate is very commendable but I have to question his work rate.

Oh no, here we go again.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »
Must say the ref seemed decent again today although he missed a couple of handball's 1 of which was in the area.

Agreed, I thought the ref had a decent game, yes he missed a couple of things but overall no complaints. If all our games were officiated with such competence I would have no complaints!!

Look forward to seeing you all a week tomorrow, when the Ilson pitch will suit you more than yesterday :( That's assuming I can get away from Finchley early enough!!

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
With Newsham having adopted the nickname "Tap in"during the course of the season I dare say that
not many supporters are questioning his strike rate so far but unlike Lord Beckett's appraisal of his
goals yesterday I would tend to go with Leicester Pilgrims interpretation of Marks goals.Leicester Pilgrim
always imo gives a fair and unbaised anyalisis of the matches he attends and would make a good Club
reporter should a position become available. As far as Newsham is concerned his strike rate is very
commendable but I have to question his work rate.
I agree he should of had a hat-trick yesterday, he couldn't miss either of his 2 goals and did miss other chances most notably the open goal which he should of done better with. To be fair though he gets into the positions to pick up scraps and I'm more than happy for him to continue to "tap in".

As far as his workrate is concerned I presume you haven't seen any of our games since Jamie went on loan to Glapwell, admittedly when Newsh was played up front he didn't track back but played wide right he does. Evidence of that was him making a challenge in our penalty area when their forward was otherwise clean through on goal.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »

As far as his workrate is concerned I presume you haven't seen any of our games since Jamie went on loan to Glapwell.

Your observation Woad-Pilgrim is very commendable and I do accept from you that Newshams accomodated
position wide has resulted in him having to work a little harder than maybe he is used to,but I dare say
that goes with the territory of such a position.I can only recall him in a three man attack where his strike
partners overshadowed considerably his work rate in most games I witnessed. Lazy or clever player I
don't quite know,I only say it how I see it and you are right, I am not his biggest fan. Having said that,
I will take my hat off to him if he comes up with a 'tap in'winner in a playoff final should that happen.  ;)

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
lazy or not 25 goals can't moan at that i think

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
I think some of the players must look at this forum from time to time.If you watch the video interview with Chris Wood on the O/S he mentions "tap in Newsh" while having a little smile.There have been times when i've wondered about his work rate,but he's now got 25 for the season and that will do for me.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »
Newsham is a very intelligent footballer - not a headless chicken.
at 25 goals he can sit on a deck chair in the pen box and wait for the ball fo me.
Remember Ken Charlery? score one goal and disappear and least Newey gets 2.
A mate of mine went to see Leeds v Colchester awhile back.
He thought Beckford was the laziest player he had ever seen, so what is David Moyes going to get him to do?
Berbatov cost £30 mill and he hardly stretches himself.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
Lineker hardly every bust a gut when he played either and he didn't do bad for himself

Football is not just about how much you run but where and when you run, Yes Newsham isn't box to box in his style of play, but he is ball to net and as long as you have Church and Davies grafting in behind him then it works.

I think some of the players must look at this forum from time to time.If you watch the video interview with Chris Wood on the O/S he mentions "tap in Newsh" while having a little smile.There have been times when i've wondered about his work rate,but he's now got 25 for the season and that will do for me.

Newsham gets encouraged under the nickname 'Tap in' away from home quite a lot and in some of the grounds you can here every word.  Right back at Nantwich the 'Tap in' nickname was being sung full voice when he dinked that beauty over the keeper with his left into the top corner.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »

;) ;) Nice one Lord Beckett, point taken and what a cracking photo of Lineker's babe  ;) ;)

BU on the up

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »

On a Saturday at York Street where teams come to defend from the off then Newsham is one of the first on the team sheet.

However, when the players are travelling for 3 hours to a game on a Wednesday night after half a days work against the better teams in this division you can't expect Sleath or Davis and Church to do enough running in the middle of the park in order to make it hard for the opposition. The most recent game that I can remember this being the case was against Whitby.

BU on the up

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:20 PM »
Oh and yes I agree - Great photo of his missus!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »
 By far the most industrious striker i have seen in a Pilgrims shirt is Stuart Douglas ,  I think he averaged about 2 goals a season and set up none for his team mates . I think apart from his goals much of Newshams contribution is overlooked by many fans.
 Going to read LCB posting now , (only looked at the photo !! ,)