Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 15512 times)

woad_pilgrim

Today's game
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:07 PM »
Seeing as no-one is bothering I'll give my views.

Started off brightly and scored with our first real meaningful shot on target. After that we seemed content to sit on the lead for the rest of the half and invited pressure from Hucknall, but cannot really remember Evans making 1 save although they had a couple of good chances that they fired high/wide. We had a Davidson header cleared off the line and that was it from a disappointing first half.

Second half was a different story, we where camped in their half and created chances at will, scoring 3 more and missing many more. Had another 2 cleared off the line, SWD hit the post, Newsh missed an open goal after rounding the keeper it could of been 8 or 9 no exaggeration. They scored from their only meaningful attack, they did have another disallowed but he was miles offside.

First half was poor second half was more like it hopefully we can carry that into the Guiseley game, win that and we'll be well in the hunt for the title whatever Wednesday's result (although a draw would still suit us best IMO).

Edit: Was about 300-350 Boston in the crowd hardly heard a cheer when they scored. Another great turnout and I'm sure it helps the lads being like a home from home (apart from the surroundings).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:28:31 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today's game
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
I can think of at least a couple of games where we have played poorly in the first half and then been a completely different team in the second. It's refreshing to know we have a couple of managers who know exactly what to say at half-time to motivate the players.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
I think we would be a dangerous team if we ever played for the full ninty minutes!!.In the end we might have had 8 or 9 with a bit more luck and i always thought we had a couple of gears left if we had needed them.All in all a decent performance on a pitch where you could never predict the bounce.Thought Semple was excellent down the right,lots of quality crosses.Good turn out of fans as well.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »
It seemed too easy, how did we make it so hard last season?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:26 PM »
As we had no game today I decided to go to Watnall Road. The first half was fairly scrappy, not helped by the pitch which made free flowing passing football difficult. However, I always felt you were in total control. Second half you made your superiority tell and as Woady said it could have been many more.

At times it felt like "men against boys" especially your defence against their young attack, where you were far too strong physically for them (but not in a dirty way).

As for their offside goal, I would not say it was miles offside! I was sat directly in line with it and when the ball was played it was touch and go although just off. He looked a yard offside when he headed it in.

You did go to sleep at the corner for their consolation goal, allowing a free header at the far post.

Well deserved win that probably should have been by more.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »
It seemed too easy, how did we make it so hard last season?

Over rated players picking up top dollar for tossing it off & a manager who didn't give a toss, his record reeked of mediocrity.Dave should have got shut after the 1st summer, one of his few mistakes in his time in charge.

These two aren't flash and the one thing I like about them is they don't make many bad signings.

As I said before, it might not be a disaster if we miss out this season, keep this squad together and without the 6-8 weeks of gelling that cost us silly home points this season we could walk the league next season.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »
As for their offside goal, I would not say it was miles offside! I was sat directly in line with it and when the ball was played it was touch and go although just off. He looked a yard offside when he headed it in.
Fair do's you where obviously in a better position as I was at the other end, so we got the benefit of the doubt. Must say the ref seemed decent again today although he missed a couple of handball's 1 of which was in the area.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »
As I said before, it might not be a disaster if we miss out this season, keep this squad together and without the 6-8 weeks of gelling that cost us silly home points this season we could walk the league next season.
Agree it wouldn't be a disaster and we would walk the league if we can keep the squad together. Personally think we'd be top 10 in Conf North with this side too. The only issue is I think if we don't go up this season we could lose several players looking to play higher or to bigger payers, but if we do go up we will IMO be able to keep most of the squad.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Still being up in Lincolnshire meant that i could get to today's game which regrettably was the first away game since Telford i think (terrible i know but the clue is in my name).

It was a truely terrible pitch and you were just not able to pass it with any confidence on their but i thought we adapted quite well and the hard yards of the first half allowed for the pressure in the second.  Newsham should have had 4 himself but it was good to see him there to miss them.  Thought DD did little compared to Suarez who won nearly every ball when he came on and looked a different class to DD, but DD got his goal so well played.

My one criticism after watching both this weekend's matches was Davies in midfield who doesn't seem to tackle as well as Church to do the enforcer roal and doesn't pass it awa well as sleath to be the playmaker.  Thought Sleath was much better than him when he played and that would be my one change for saturday.

Let's hope that wednesday goes in our favour to let us at least get 2nd and go from there.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »
The only dark cloud over this is I fear we have to get up this year as we will more than likely go South (with Lynns demise) next year.

I think Davies is in for Sleath to slug it out to the finish line, same for Danny D.  I can see their thinking and it will probably be needed for the melting pot of Saturdays games.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:14:37 PM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »
 The "men" in our defence today FT had a average age of 21 .
 Noughtyforties assessment of management past and present is spot-on . I cannot recall in the many decades of following BU a management team making so few bad signings . The days of discarding players on long contracts with big pay-offs are now gone ,

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »
Cardiff - I thought your shirt was rather tight fitting today  ;D

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »
The only dark cloud over this is I fear we have to get up this year as we will more than likely go South (with Lynns demise) next year.
If we were to go South it would be a disaster.I'm sure it would mean losing Scott and Hurst and the majority of the players.Yet more upheaval just when the club is gaining stability.I don't even want to think about it.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
It fitted a darn sight better than i thought it would mate

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
A lot was made of the wind influencing the match at North Ferriby last weekend, but for me it was equally windy at Hucknall this afternoon. It was quite comical when I entered the ground, as the ten pound note I was using for admission blew out of the turnstyle operator's hand and ended up on the pitch! The wind, coupled with a boggy pitch, was never going to make for attractive football and I don't remember many games when so many balls have been kicked out of the ground. But overall I thought Boston adapted best to the conditions.

Newsham should have had a hat-trick today; he scored two from a combined distance of about three yards out, but then somehow managed to lob the ball over an empty goal in the second half. It really did look easier to score. Weir-Daley probably should have scored with a first-half lob as well, but his shot went wide. If we'd taken our chances we would have won by more than 4-1. Davidson had a better game than he's been having in recent weeks.

Chris Wood did well at centre-half deputising for Canoville and Pearson was dependable as usual. But maybe Tom Evans had a couple of uncomfortable moments? I'm not sure whether Hucknall's second "goal" was offside or not, but I thought Evans' positioning was susceptible. He came and then stopped, allowing the Hucknall player to head home unchallenged.