Author Topic: tonight's latest  (Read 12505 times)

The Net

• View Profile
Re: tonight's latest
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »
FC United 1 Bradford PA 5  :)

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
I have a horrible feeling that injury time leveler at BPA will kick us in the teeth come the last day.  But this is just normal pessimistic BUFC supporting pessimism so ignore it....
Yeah that was a kick in the teeth, we'd been the better team for most of the match as well and had a few chances to go 3-1 up, especially when Liam Parker headed against the bar.

The other game that sticks in my mind as well is the home game against Burscough. We dominated the game from start to finish and wasted chance after chance, tehy had 3 and put them all away, the last in injury time.

Those 2 draws have cost us 4 points in games we should have won comfortably, if we had those on board with BPA minus 1 we'd be top and in a great position...

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
I'm holding out for the Guiseley v BPA matches, it could all change yet.

Out of interest Retford are now 50/1 to win it, only a couple of weeks ago they were the big threat to the top.

Also of note is how many footballing sides are in the playoff spots, after last years lump fest it is good to see US, Guiseley, NFU and Kendal occupying the upper end of the division.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:47:34 PM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 09:47:40 PM »
I have a horrible feeling that injury time leveler at BPA will kick us in the teeth come the last day.  But this is just normal pessimistic BUFC supporting pessimism so ignore it....
Yeah that was a kick in the teeth, we'd been the better team for most of the match as well and had a few chances to go 3-1 up, especially when Liam Parker headed against the bar.

The other game that sticks in my mind as well is the home game against Burscough. We dominated the game from start to finish and wasted chance after chance, tehy had 3 and put them all away, the last in injury time.

Those 2 draws have cost us 4 points in games we should have won comfortably, if we had those on board with BPA minus 1 we'd be top and in a great position...

There's always swings and roundabouts in a season. You could point to Bradford (A) and Burscough (H) as the ones that got away but then there's Hucknall (H) and Buxton (H) where last minute goals went in our favour.

Personally, I don't think we'll win the league. We shouldn't just give up on it but promotion is ultimately the aim of the game. We shouldn't be disappointed at all if we end up in the play-offs. What's important now is to get on a good run so that the confidence is high for the end-of-season shoot out if we can't finish top of the pile.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:22 PM »
Talking of play-offs, how do these work ? ie is it 2nd v 5th and where are the games played ? Also, how long after the end of the season do they take place ?

DL

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »
Talking of play-offs, how do these work ? ie is it 2nd v 5th and where are the games played ? Also, how long after the end of the season do they take place ?

DL

All matches are one-leg affairs played at the ground of the team that finished the season in the higher league position. It is 2nd v 5th & 3rd v 4th. The semis are on the Tuesday following the final game of the league season and the final is on the Saturday.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
I have a horrible feeling that injury time leveler at BPA will kick us in the teeth come the last day.  But this is just normal pessimistic BUFC supporting pessimism so ignore it....

There's always swings and roundabouts in a season. You could point to Bradford (A) and Burscough (H) as the ones that got away but then there's Hucknall (H) and Buxton (H) where last minute goals went in our favour.

Personally, I don't think we'll win the league. We shouldn't just give up on it but promotion is ultimately the aim of the game. We shouldn't be disappointed at all if we end up in the play-offs. What's important now is to get on a good run so that the confidence is high for the end-of-season shoot out if we can't finish top of the pile.
I appreciate what you're saying but in the 2 games I mentioned we where the better team, in the games you mentioned we where also the better team and tbh Hucknall should have been buried the amount of chances we missed that day too. I don't think there's been a game where we have been outplayed and still come away with points (I think it's fair to say if we've been poor we've lost) whereas the reverse is we have lost points by missing chances, Kendal away is another where we should have had at least a point.

Oh and play-offs would still be a cracking turnarond from last seasons shambles and I would of taken that at the start of the season, the point I'm making is it's been there for the taking this year as there hasn't been a standout team and personally I'm not giving up on the title till it is mathematically impossible.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »

I appreciate what you're saying but in the 2 games I mentioned we where the better team, in the games you mentioned we where also the better team and tbh Hucknall should have been buried the amount of chances we missed that day too. I don't think there's been a game where we have been outplayed and still come away with points (I think it's fair to say if we've been poor we've lost) whereas the reverse is we have lost points by missing chances, Kendal away is another where we should have had at least a point.

Oh and play-offs would still be a cracking turnarond from last seasons shambles and I would of taken that at the start of the season, the point I'm making is it's been there for the taking this year as there hasn't been a standout team and personally I'm not giving up on the title till it is mathematically impossible.

I agree, there's been no stand-out side, i think BPA are the best footballing side we've seen at York Street.

I think the death of Kings Lynn didnt help us either, we went from around 2nd or 3rd with 2 games in hand to 3rd having played a game more than the top teams.