Author Topic: Big game Saturday  (Read 6172 times)

woad_pilgrim

Big game Saturday
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
After a couple of abstract performances in the 2 cup competitions it's back to the serious business on Saturday. I'm hoping that the lads have been taking it easy the last couple of games due to the fact it was only tinpot cups as if they play like that Saturday then We'll get turned over.

So does anyone think they'll find it hard to raise their game as I feel once players start playing like that it is hard to lift the performance back to the required levels?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Big game Saturday
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
Don,t think it will be a problem WP. The players will know the tin-pot party is over and no motivating will be needed on Sat.  You and i have stuck  with our rose-tinted specs since last May WP lets not discard them now.

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:30:18 PM »
i agree with you WP but i think they will do enough even if the performance isnt there

Bartmac

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
Another win - what more motivation will they need???

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
Don,t think it will be a problem WP. The players will know the tin-pot party is over and no motivating will be needed on Sat.  You and i have stuck  with our rose-tinted specs since last May WP lets not discard them now.
You're right GHM and I'm not losing faith in the players, I still feel they are the best team in this league as I have since pre-season friendlies. I'm worried complacency might set in as this is the only way I can see us losing again this season. As long as this doesn't happen I believe we'll win the league.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »
I think the one factor in the two poor performances was that Church was missing. He seems to lead by example and motivate the others by his style of play. we missed him against Kendal, and he should be back for saturday. You can guess WP i am a big fan of Church, i think hes been our driving force this season.

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
i am a big fan of Church, i think hes been our driving force this season.

He has been quality for sure. And so has Pearson. Do people think that it is a straight slog between Church and Pearson for player of the season (maybe worthy of a separate thread)? For me, just Pearson. But only just.

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03:24 PM »
churchy has been very influential in our season and am sure he will carry on being  so on sat.i hope i aint sounding to doom n gloom but to be honest if it takes to win the league we have to win all our games then i dont see it happening cos surely as good as we are we will have to lose some points somewhere,i hope im totally wrong
"till saturday comes"

Seenbetter

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:41:29 PM »
I think your right Cappo. Without getting too mathematical cos I only have 10 countable digits, the others have got socks on, I think we are likely to come 3rd unless BPA and Guisely encounter a couple of defeats. If things continue as they are I think Retthug will be just outside the play offs. As Scott said at the recent forum the first 7 games off the season with those draws have let us down. If we had won half of them I reckon we would be comfortable at the top now.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »
Some good points raised here and a decent debate. I agree with Senny think it's a straight fight between Churchy and Pearson for player of the season but I'm with FP think Church has been outstanding this season and will be my player of the season. That's not to take anything away from the rest as they have all played their part, a real team effort.

As for not being able to win every game for the rest of the season, why not? If the lads play to their capabilities every game they will win them all, sounds arrogant but I believe we have the best team in this league.

And why do you think we'll come 3rd? Guiseley play BPA twice soon, they both can't take 6 points each so providing we win our games we're going to catch points up on 1 or both. Plus we have to play Guiseley ourselves, so we're not that reliant on any other team. All we can do is take a game at a time, make sure we win then if/when the others slip up we take advantage.

Edit: I fancy Retthug doing us a favour Sat with their away record and us to beat Nantwich. With us still to play Guiseley it would then be in our hands over Guiseley...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:18:36 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:28 AM »
With Guiseley still to play BPA twice and us to play Guiseley. 

As long as we slug it out in the other games and keep winning then who knows.  If we beat Guiseley and BPA do twice then we can put them out of the race. But if points are shared in the games between the other two then we are in with a shout.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
Essentially, I don't think we can go a round of games where we lose points to both BPA and Guiseley.

Frickley play Guiseley in the final midweek of the season. Theoretically, we could win the title via this game.. do you think many Boston would travel to it?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »
Essentially, I don't think we can go a round of games where we lose points to both BPA and Guiseley.

Frickley play Guiseley in the final midweek of the season. Theoretically, we could win the title via this game.. do you think many Boston would travel to it?

Is it the Wednesday that we play the thugs?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:09 AM »

I know of three of us that would certainly have no problems making it!!!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »

Is it the Wednesday that we play the thugs?
Day before - the Tuesday
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/