Author Topic: David Newton wants to keep defender Shaun Pearson at Boston United  (Read 3921 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
SportsEcho Image: SportsEcho
Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 07:00

DAVID NEWTON has not given up hope of keeping star defender Shaun Pearson at Boston United.

Pearson is widely tipped to leave York Street this summer after an outstanding two seasons with the Pilgrims since being plucked from Stamford.

Championship side Sheffield United are believed to be among a growing list of Football League sides monitoring the youngster's progress.

And it would be little surprise if Grimsby Town joint-bosses Rob Scott and Paul Hurst, who took Pearson to Boston, also made an approach.

Pearson has made no secret of his desire to enter the professional ranks and with United looking increasingly unlikely to go full-time next season, even if they win promotion, this looks set to be his last campaign at York Street.

Chairman Newton says there was has been no approach for Pearson so far and insists he is still working on keeping the player at Boston.

"He's our player and my aim is keep Shaun here if we can," said Newton.

"That's what I'm working on.

"I know he wants full-time football and I understand that, but he also wants full-time football at the right club.

"Unless the right club comes in, he won't just jump ship at the first offer.

"I'd like Shaun to be with us next season."

Despite Pearson being out of contract in the summer, United would still be entitled to a fee because the player is under the age of 24.

Meanwhile, Newton has launched legal proceedings against Grimsby Town and former Boston bosses Scott and Hurst following the pair's controversial defection to the Mariners last month.

"We got a response from Grimsby and Rob and Paul which was not satisfactory and we have started legal proceedings. Papers have been served on them," explained Newton.

"It's very, very sad. We had a good relationship with them (Scott and Hurst) and it shouldn't end like this, should it?

"But it's about principles. If someone has not done something right then I think things needs to be redressed.

"But that's a side issue at the moment. We're in the play-offs and it's a fantastic achievement.

"Obviously Rob and Paul played a big part in that. It's a shame that they are not here to be a part of it, but Jason (Lee) and Lee (Canoville) have picked up the mantle and taken us forward. We saw a fantastic performance on Monday (at Nuneaton).

"I'm delighted with the guys and, going into the play-offs, that is the sort of performance you want."

Barring an unlikely set of results, Boston will finish third in Blue Square Bet North, meaning they will visit Nuneaton or Guiseley for the first leg of the play-off semi-finals next Tuesday (May 3, 7,45pm).

The second leg will be at York Street on Sunday, May 8 with the final seven days later.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: David Newton wants to keep defender Shaun Pearson at Boston United
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »
Is there no chance of boston goin full time i thought in bsp u almost had to be

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
How many BSP teams are full time?

Just read Alfreton will be next season, someone must be putting in the money their crowds are well below average for BSP.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:13:18 PM by Lee Newell »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »
Looks likely Kettering and Rushden will go p/t next season if still in BSP.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
Survival in the BSP wouldn't require full-time.  We'd be competitive with our current squad and a few new faces. To win the BSP now you'd have to be full-time and big budgeted as there are some big hitters in there with big ideas.  We shouldn't be looking at that just yet.  Mid to Top half BSP on healthy crowds and our family/community atmosphere will see the club on a sound footing.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
agreed, we cant get promoted from that league with the ground situation as it is, so solidarity is the aim of the game.

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »
Well lets hope we have this decision to make, we had better not get ahead of ourselves, if, and i really think we can get to the conference,why can we not have a percentage of full time players ie.. 11 with a sprinkling of part time and youth making up the numbers. Anything above the relegation places would be a positive in the first season, then a mid table positition would suit us for a couple of years, by which time we should have the structure in place to press on for a least a playoff place and turn fulltime( maybe a three year plan).

Like everyone else i would like to progess our club as far as possible,but only when and if we can compete and afford it.I suspect we will offer Shaun an attractive but realistic offer if only to protect one of our prize assets. If we get offered a decent amount of money for him it will pave the way for another two or three class players to join our ranks.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
Isn't the setup for U24s that if they're offered a contract of at least equal terms, but they then sign for someone else, we get an amount of compensation determined by tribunal? Would be interesting to know how they actually come up with a figure. I presume that the more clubs interested in Shaun then the higher amount they'd award us, but would it also drive the amount up if we demonstrated how valuable he is by offering a significantly improved deal? Personally think he should be looking for a move to a League 2 club, and that with the right coaching he could potentially play at League 1 level although probably no higher. Anyway, I'd say he's worth as much as Lee Beevers was (rumored £50k?).

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
Aden Flint went from Alfreton for £150,000 , so 50K sounds about right for an out of contract player

Bob Lee

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
offer him new terms, put him on a three year contract, and sell him, simples :D