Author Topic: Alex (Hurricane) Higgins  (Read 1752 times)

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Alex (Hurricane) Higgins
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:01:26 AM »
May he rest in peace. Probably one of the most, if not the most gifted snooker player the game has ever seen. Thank you Alex for all the entertainment you gave me over the years.

check the grassy knoll.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Gus

• View Profile
Re: Alex (Hurricane) Higgins
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
Back in the 70's I used to promote exhibition games at the Car Club on Fishtoft Road and was fortunate to book Alex 3 times.
On each occasion we used to stand his drinks and, believe me, he could knock them back, his tipple at the time being Guinness with vodka chasers.  As the night wore on he got better and better.  On one evening he played me and as I screwed my 2-piece cue together he broke off, smashing into the pack, and proceeded to clear the table with a 138 break.
He then played me again, giving me 69 points start (typical Alex humour) and I actually beat him.
He provided many memorable visits, including playing the late Holly Ashton one-handed towards the end of the frame, only for Holly to equal him by potting the final black one-handed with a double from the end cushion to the middle bag.
I could tell one or two more tales, having followed him around at that time, and 2 particular memories jump to the front.
Firstly, Alex was booked at the County Club in town, and when he had finished, couldn't resist going into the car room where the locals promptly relieved him of his fee and what was left of his previous nights money as well, having to give him some back for his train fare (he didn't drive).
Secondly, taking a young lady from this town back to Grimsby where he was staying, putting her back on the train in the morning.  Her father kept hoping she was pregnant and thinking he could be grandad to Alex's child.