Author Topic: Todays match and Drury  (Read 12559 times)

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Todays match and Drury
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
Is Drury not kind of making his own Budget ?  When he was interviewed for the postion did he inform Mr Newton that we would double the gate? the same as he told us supporters.  With gates on the downward slide since his appointment, can he really be that surprised that his budget has been cut.  He cant have it both ways!

No sir he isn't and I am afraid thats simply not how things work at all. If a manager, any manager says he wants to or even more emphatic,says he will double the gates,it is a wish, a desire. The same as suggesting that a budget is good enough for the play offs, it is a metaphor, not a written contract condition

All new managers go through this rhetoric designed for one purpose, to please people like us. A player might say I've signed for the manager, or the manager sold me the club, or the club is a sleeping giant, and I defintely wanted to be part of it. Frankly all of it is cliched nonsense right up there with timelss classics like it was a game of two halves

Would a manager ever get a job, if he even whispered, I think with that budget we will get relegated? Of course he wouldn't

"We are away at Chester we have no chance, I dont know why we are even bothering going!" That would go down a storm with the supporters wouldn't it?

If Drury had won say just two more games, would it mean that gates were guaranteed to rise? Of course it wouldn't. If gates had risen by the same relatively small percentage they have dropped since his arrival, would the chairman automatically give him extra money for the budget, again the answer is very doubtful. Attendances whilst vital are not on there own a measuring stick for how well a team is doing. We could have had Halifax and Chester on a sunny saturday afternoon and the attendances no doubt would have been far more than 1000 which would then paint  different picture, but it wouldn't be down to Drury either just circumstances.

"If" the budget has been cut after it was previously agreed that in my eyes would be wrong 

Seenbetter

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
I did have a read and what it said to me was if you say what prospective employers like to hear then you are likely to get the job. Surely if you want someone to take you further then you need to have seen evidence of that. I personally would have appointed someone from a slightly higher league with a proven success rate. I would have thought paying more to get one person of superior quality is cheaper than buying a management team of mediocre ability.
A great last line from Bostonshire. Stirs the blood.
As for BGs post, got to agree. At the end of the day bullshit is the winner until the boss gets fed up with hearing it.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
But saying what you think the interviewer wants to hear is surely the norm for any job interview, isn't it?

I too would have dearly loved to have seen someone appointed from a higher league, but again, the catch 22 is would if this happened their own financial aspirations and even more relevant those of the players they are understandably more au fait with, ie Conference variety prevent such managrs even applying

Could also be why the words, desire to win,ambition, want to achieve and all those interview buzz words are important contributory factors in the selection process?

Shouldn't belike that, but it is what it is

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »
Chairman have to appoint and use some form of criteria when making a new appointment.  If the Chairman has bought into what the interviewee has stated, and allows him to go public with some bold statements as to suggest he is the 2nd coming and will turn water in wine ( or in this case double the gates). Then he surely will be looking very closely at these bold statements he has made.  Play-off push,  The Chairman must be asking if he has made the correct call. Would you not think ?

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »
Also known as bullshitting?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
Is Drury not kind of making his own Budget ?  When he was interviewed for the postion did he inform Mr Newton that we would double the gate? the same as he told us supporters.  With gates on the downward slide since his appointment, can he really be that surprised that his budget has been cut.  He cant have it both ways!

No sir he isn't and I am afraid thats simply not how things work at all. If a manager, any manager says he wants to or even more emphatic,says he will double the gates,it is a wish, a desire. The same as suggesting that a budget is good enough for the play offs, it is a metaphor, not a written contract condition

All new managers go through this rhetoric designed for one purpose, to please people like us. A player might say I've signed for the manager, or the manager sold me the club, or the club is a sleeping giant, and I defintely wanted to be part of it. Frankly all of it is cliched nonsense right up there with timelss classics like it was a game of two halves

Would a manager ever get a job, if he even whispered, I think with that budget we will get relegated? Of course he wouldn't

"We are away at Chester we have no chance, I dont know why we are even bothering going!" That would go down a storm with the supporters wouldn't it?

If Drury had won say just two more games, would it mean that gates were guaranteed to rise? Of course it wouldn't. If gates had risen by the same relatively small percentage they have dropped since his arrival, would the chairman automatically give him extra money for the budget, again the answer is very doubtful. Attendances whilst vital are not on there own a measuring stick for how well a team is doing. We could have had Halifax and Chester on a sunny saturday afternoon and the attendances no doubt would have been far more than 1000 which would then paint  different picture, but it wouldn't be down to Drury either just circumstances.

"If" the budget has been cut after it was previously agreed that in my eyes would be wrong
Wise words from a old timer ,

Will Mrs B be  "over the moon " or as "sick as a parrot " on Sunday breakfast time ?

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »

Wise words from a old timer ,

Will Mrs B be  "over the moon " or as "sick as a parrot " on Sunday breakfast time ?

Who knows but as it is my day off have promised Mrs G a portion of home made bubble and squeak to accompany her 'well done' bacon, organic eggs and Morrisons finest Pork sauages on Wednesday morning. That bsaid if we dont win soon she will probably develop anerexia!

Football has a lot to answer for! ;D

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Let's hope the Chairman re visits the previous applicants and gives to the man who was runner up
Last time when the job went to Drury.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
I thought Drury was second?

baghdadpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:57 PM »
Dennis Greene already appointed until the end of season

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
Welcome Mr Greene. Sort the mess out Dennis.

FrankieBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »
Welcome Mr Greene. Sort the mess out Dennis.

Amen

Seenbetter

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
Hi BG. All this talk of food makes me feel hungry, although I would just be happy with a 'portion' if you know what I mean. ;)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
That pritty much put this thread to bed.