Author Topic: Spennymoor  (Read 20514 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spennymoor
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
The things I would like to see AM try is: 1) Try Karl Hawley in the centre mid-field role, he can hold the ball up and is a good passer of the ball.  2)  Keep our wingers out wide, not indicate to them to come in-field for goal kicks. 3) Tell Chapman to keep his mouth closed, and stop moaning at/haranguing the referee, but get on to his players more, he's supposed to lead by example.  Done.

Re 3 .   Most of us are feed up with Chapmans attitude towards the refs , Ernie .   Poor example to young team mates ,  achieves nothing.
           I suppose  its only a matter of time before Boston fans give a ref a cheer for booking one of our players .   

youngchubby69

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
Rubbish just rubbish, Adam with same excuses it's not good enough pure and simple.
We are no longer a club that is feared or respected, but one that other clubs laugh at.
I did not go to watch the Chorley or Spenymore games but did watch most of the pre-season game's,which gave me hope,but that is sadly fading.
Sadly we have a manager that talk's the talk but that's all he does,let's hope he hasn't spent the budget,as the new manager will need it, after this bank holiday weekend if we don't win both games.
I drove by Harrogate's ground today which is not a patch on ours, but they have spent on the team and look how they are going??
Is there a lesson for us there who knows, but I am Boston through and through and because of my loyalty I will have to keep supporting the Pilgrims,but my support is waining for our manager.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
Rubbish just rubbish, Adam with same excuses it's not good enough pure and simple.
We are no longer a club that is feared or respected, but one that other clubs laugh at.
I did not go to watch the Chorley or Spenymore games but did watch most of the pre-season game's,which gave me hope,but that is sadly fading.
Sadly we have a manager that talk's the talk but that's all he does,let's hope he hasn't spent the budget,as the new manager will need it, after this bank holiday weekend if we don't win both games.
I drove by Harrogate's ground today which is not a patch on ours, but they have spent on the team and look how they are going??
Is there a lesson for us there who knows, but I am Boston through and through and because of my loyalty I will have to keep supporting the Pilgrims,but my support is waining for our manager.

Pleased you are to continue supporting Pilgrims even though like many of us you are very disappointed and apprehensive about Adam being able to deliver results .   

Yes there is a lesson to be learned from Harrogate Chubby ,   As my brother-in - law and his fellow Harrogate fans will tell you ,  it is no good spending big money if you haven't got a good manager to spend it .   Simon Weaver manager is son of the man throwing money at the club .  Over the last 5 years Weaver has not progressed the club and most likely will not even going f/t .   Very frustrating for fans with Weaver being fireproof .

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2017, 07:22:02 AM »
God help us if we're looking at Harrogate as a measure of success. ::)

I just think things have been hyped up over the summer with all the talk of Murray's Mission and the high profile drive to back him with funds.
None of us know if the budget has significantly increased this summer, I do know in DN we have a chairman who backs his managers as much as he can without risking the long term stability of the club.
But is it enough?
Or are we guilty of inflating expectation when in reality the budget isn't much more than last years and as a consequence we will end up with a similar quality of player to last year?
At the end of the day you can move training, you can widen the net for recruitment, but when all is said a done a £300 a week player will deliver the same result whether he comes from Lincoln or Birmingham.
Conversely a £700 a week player SHOULD deliver a bit more.

Lets see where we are at the end of September before we start a witch hunt, hopefully we'll still be in the FA Cup and in the top half of the table. 

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2017, 07:39:07 AM »

The logic here is that because we have a hulking great big ground that was built in the early 80s for league football, we should be.... what, exactly? Queens Park play at Hampden Park - I don't see them bossing the likes of Rangers and Celtic!

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 07:55:21 AM »
Yep, let's give Murray a chance. Only 5 matches into the season with a mostly new team.

youngchubby69

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
Yep, let's give Murray a chance. Only 5 matches into the season with a mostly new team.
The Logic is simple, we spend an extortionate amount of money on rent staying at York Street, that has held the team back on the pitch.
David Newtons words not mine.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Apologies.

youngchubby69

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
Apologies excepted, sorry Lee I replied to the wrong comment.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
God help us if we're looking at Harrogate as a measure of success. ::)

I just think things have been hyped up over the summer with all the talk of Murray's Mission and the high profile drive to back him with funds.
None of us know if the budget has significantly increased this summer, I do know in DN we have a chairman who backs his managers as much as he can without risking the long term stability of the club.
But is it enough?
Or are we guilty of inflating expectation when in reality the budget isn't much more than last years and as a consequence we will end up with a similar quality of player to last year?
At the end of the day you can move training, you can widen the net for recruitment, but when all is said a done a £300 a week player will deliver the same result whether he comes from Lincoln or Birmingham.
Conversely a £700 a week player SHOULD deliver a bit more.

Lets see where we are at the end of September before we start a witch hunt, hopefully we'll still be in the FA Cup and in the top half of the table.

Your expressed idea of player recruitment is similar to that of most fans  Andy .    In part-time football it's not as simple as offering a player an £100 more than club A.   If the player is offered say £300 pound by a club on his doorstep,  and Boston is a 75 miles journey (many players have travelled further)  what would we have to offer him to entice him to Boston ?.
He would roughly have to cost it as follows ... 450 miles travelling , w/t and petrol say £50 a week .
Travel takes 12 hours a week which is family /leisure time lost ,  to find the traveling time ( if his boss will permit ) he could lose £60/£160 per week pay.

If we were to offer him DOUBLE (£600) a week on consideration
of lost earning , lost family time and travel cost and extra tax it would
not be an attractive offer to him .                                                   

The idea of moving the training centre is clearly not grasped ,   clearly whether Newton or Murray (or both)thought of the idea its commendable ,  being in a good catchment area for players .  This should make recruitment easier without paying outrageous wages . Clearly the idea is to narrow the recruiting distance so Boston is a more tempting option .  Even without an increased budget we should attract better players .

Adam did excite some fans expressing expectation of promotion and "sleeping giant " etc .

Considering extra training , new technology and two extra play-off places to play for we can expect last play-off place at least .

Don,t like talk of September witch hunt !!!!   surely lessons have been leant , then again maybe not .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:43:16 PM by green hats mate »

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
I get all the points that people are making about travel costs and the difficulties in attracting players. If that's such a big issue though, how on earth did Dennis Greene persuade Rene Steer to travel from Wembley, Jake Hall to come up from London, Liam Marrs and Liam Agnew to drive from the north east, Scott Garner from Coventry, Grant Roberts from Leeds, etc., etc.? Plenty of people moan about Greene, but with hindsight maybe he had a better gift of the gab than Murray when it came to persuading players to join us. Plus, if some of the current players have only joined us once the travelling has been made easier, are they hungry to progress their careers and are they with us for the right reasons? Or are they only in it for an easy life and a good pay day?

youngchubby69

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
What is the general opion of the following?
Who would you replace in the team at this current time and why? Excluding the manager.
What positions would you recruit for ?
Who would have preferred to move from York Street and invested in the team instead,when Newton and Kempster took over the club.
Where would you have preferred to move too?

My answers are as follows,
Chapman too slow and makes too many mistakes, Maguire just hasn't got it anymore and is going to be another who just takes the money.
Midfielders and forwards.
We should have left York Street it's just been a money pit.
Moved to Boston Town,it would have benefited both club's and helped them improve their ground and they could have been a feeder club and helped us blood our youngsters.
We could have made there and our team stronger with a bigger budgets for both club's.
But we still have to move forward to a new ground which I can't see being built to 2020 at the earliest.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
Strong words young chubby.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »
YC69, you've seemingly changed your tune in a couple of weeks. I've always found your posts very pro-AM, and as long the ship steadied, the next most important thing this year was getting the ground built. Now it seems we should be looking for the next manager and a ground share? And this is a week or so after you seemed to try and rally the troops in AM's defense and called for an end to the increasing negativity towards him on Patter. The results and performances have been frustrating, and I do agree with many of the current criticisms posted on Patter, but we are 5 games in. If we only pick up 1 or 2 wins in the next 5 games, then I may join the brigade of doubters, but to quote one or two, let's give the bloke a bit more of a chance. Smithy's available again, and, yes he's only one man, but he's a big influence in games. UTP.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
And remember, at the end of August last season we had 4 points  ;) ;D :laugh: