Author Topic: League Title Chances Over  (Read 4488 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
League Title Chances Over
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Looking at the Conference North in previous years, the winners only lose five or six games in the entire season. Having lost five already, it seems our chances of topping the league come April are realistically over.

To get in the play-offs you can usually allow for between five and ten defeats so we are going to need a great last 75% of the season if we are to make this achievement. The way we are going at the moment, I can see us winning, drawing and losing an equal amount of games this season and finishing roughly where we did last time around.

It's a shame we are in this position at the end of September. It looks like we are going to have to hope our style of play gets us through some cup games for this campaign.

DL

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: League Title Chances Over
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:19 AM »
did you seriously think we were going to win the league? we cannot competed with some of the budgets of some teams where they have a good catchment area for players from higher leagues. We will be competing for the play-offs but there are some strong teams this year

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Shorty, no I didn't think we would - I don't think I said that either ? I think it's just frustrating that any chance appears to have gone at such an early stage.

It's difficult to comment about budgets because we will never really know where we sit amongst others in the league in this respect. The geography is an issue though and I agree that it's difficult attracting part-time players to such a remote part of the country.

DL

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
The problem with grimsby and lincoln dropping out of the league means we have no league clubs for over 50 miles which means players wont come here to impress league clubs and hope for a transfer to a larger club

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
did you seriously think we were going to win the league? we cannot competed with some of the budgets of some teams where they have a good catchment area for players from higher leagues. We will be competing for the play-offs but there are some strong teams this year
Yes I did seriously think we could win the league, I've said it before the day we give up on winning a step 2 league is the day we need to pack up playing. Citing budget is a bit of a cope out for me as well, if it's just about budgets then we might as well forget playing and just see who has the most money, football is more than that it's just an excuse for poor displays.

I'd agree with DL on 2 counts:

1: We don't know any budgets of any clubs including our own. We can make an educated guess based on the players people bring in and where from etc. I'd hazzard a guess there are between 6 and 10 teams with higher budgets. But Chester apart (and maybe BPA) we've yet to play any of those I perceive as having a higher budget. By your theory we should have beaten all those sides and lost to Chester. So far we only have ourselves to blame for not winning every game we've played. I've yet to see a decent side, Chester where mediocre, BPA have been about the best but we should have won/drawn that one. The rest have been poor and we should have put all of them away.

2: Yes we have blown any chances of the title and we need to work really hard to be in the play-off hunt. As DL has pointed out history suggests the usual maximum losses as 10 games for a play-off side. Which means we have to only lose as many games in the next 33 as we have in our first 9. We really need to put a good run together in the next 10 or so games up to Xmas and restrict losses to 1 or 2 at most. If results and in some cases performances continue the way they have the play-offs will be out of reach before we get to Xmas and personally I don't think any of it is down to budget as I believe we have a set of players capable of competing with anything in this league.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
lets not be so negative! We should atleast finish 5th from bottom and we are earning the club many from the FA cup run.If we can win the next 2 rounds of the cup I'm sure the chairman will be happy with JL.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
Needs to be a good cup run KON if we are to make a profit on the season !!!!!
Last season Chester had a good trophy run , averaged gates of 2780 and yet managed to make a LOSS for the season .

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
Interesting arguments all predicated on the basis of the past being a predictor for the future...fortunately life isn't like that and nothing is certain except death and taxes..... as my old accounts lecturer used to say.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:00:13 PM by Sussex Pilgrim »

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
StalyBridge Celtic lost 13 games in 2007/8 and finished 3rd. 
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
We haven't drawn any games yet, and that could still work in our favour. You get the same number of pints for one win and two defeats as you do for three draws, so sides that don't draw games can afford to lose a few more. Mind you, I wouldn't have said no to a draw at Bradford last weekend.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »
Tash - that is correct although S/Celtic had a much better average goals per game scored (2.09 against our 1.88) and also goals per game conceded (1.21 against our 1.55).

From what I have seen so far this season, we look capable of scoring goals but don't look like the sort of team that can grind out results - particularly away from home where I would like us to adopt more tactical finesse - even if it means playing something like a 5-4-1 formation. Three up front has it's limitations and I remember a match away at Halifax last season when they tore us apart in the first half, scoring three goals in about 30 minutes.

DL

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
The problem with grimsby and lincoln dropping out of the league means we have no league clubs for over 50 miles

It also puts us in direct but unable to compete with competition for players locally.  With money pots leaving Trinity at the end of the season we should be back to higher up the tree than Gainsborough and able to take their better players.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
Needs to be a good cup run KON if we are to make a profit on the season !!!!!
Last season Chester had a good trophy run , averaged gates of 2780 and yet managed to make a LOSS for the season .

What I've read about Chester suggests that their budgeting is as wayward as it was under their previous incarnation.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.