Author Topic: retained list  (Read 31413 times)

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: retained list
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the players released so far (apart from the loans returning to their parent clubs) have been Dennis Greene signings. I'm not convinced that all of Murray's own signings pulled any trees up, so it does worry me a little bit that all of his own men still seem to be here. If we've true play-off ambitions for next season then we need a manager who isn't going to show favouritism to his own signings - putting the Adam Chapman debate to one side, has Colby Bishop really done enough during his games for us to indicate that he is the required standard?

Yes all of the players released so far were DG signings. However, there will be no favouritism from Murray to anybody. He will do whatever is best for BUFC. The players he brought in late season were tasked to keep us up! At that stage of the season you are severely limited as to what players are  available.   

AM said on Saturday Eve that most of the Squad would go. He will be ruthless & would have no qualms letting any player go once the survival job was done. As regards Chapman staying cos they are pals - nonsense! Murray's much to professional for that. He had no problem releasing Chapman from Mansfield last September.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2017, 03:39:38 PM »
re releasing him from Mansfield..
if he isn't quite good enough for Con North as some suggest then he wasn't going to be good enough for league 2

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »
Durrant is the latest to be released, ....  thoughts ?

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »

Not surprised as I said on another thread you need a keeper who commands his area and defenders feel confident with, in time I am sure he will be a good keeper, but if Murray is serious about a promotion push he needs a top class custodian.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

Not surprised as I said on another thread you need a keeper who commands his area and defenders feel confident with, in time I am sure he will be a good keeper, but if Murray is serious about a promotion push he needs a top class custodian.
Jas Singh
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2017, 07:11:13 PM »

Jas Singh

Fabian Speiss ? 

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »
Singh was on the fans wish list four or five years ago, and up until recently. But his form is not as good as it was, i just fear it will be like the St Juste signing, another the fans really wanted, then when we do get him, it was several seasons too late.

How about Craig MacGillivray, ex Harrogate keeper who has been released by Walsall today ?

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »
Will be interesting to see if Hilliard stays or goes? Murray said before Xmas that he was a "real talent".

He shows in flashes that he's skillful & a scorer of spectacular goals.  He's definitely an enigma who goes AWOL to often. Can AM get any more out of him, would he be more effective in a more advanced role. Or should he be on his way ?

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2017, 10:18:49 PM »
Will be interesting to see if Hilliard stays or goes? Murray said before Xmas that he was a "real talent".

He shows in flashes that he's skillful & a scorer of spectacular goals.  He's definitely an enigma who goes AWOL to often. Can AM get any more out of him, would he be more effective in a more advanced role. Or should he be on his way ?

I would go for Hilliard as the better choice to keep over Chapman, who has failed to live up to his billing of 'best midfielder in this league'.  Lewis could still progress, whereas could Chapman ?  All we can do is trust the managers judgement until we see how next season pans out, from then on, no excuses.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
Great to see this clear out. Come the first match of next season I think we will probably not see any of this year's crop in the starting line up.

In respect of Chapman and being the best midfield player in the league, I think AM made similar comments about that lad that was from Telford a few months ago that went back. If we really are recruiting such good players then it will be interesting to see if AM can actually get the best out of them. No good getting all this 'talent' in if it can't be realised. A good manager get's the best out of his team - no matter what line of work it is.

TEP

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »

I would go for Hilliard as the better choice to keep over Chapman, who has failed to live up to his billing of 'best midfielder in this league'.  Lewis could still progress, whereas could Chapman ?  All we can do is trust the managers judgement until we see how next season pans out, from then on, no excuses.

I think Chapman could be the surprise next season with a full pre season and fitness levels up. After watching him this season were do think his biggest weaknesses are?
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »

I think Chapman could be the surprise next season with a full pre season and fitness levels up. After watching him this season were do think his biggest weaknesses are?
i think it's been unfair criticism. the bloke gets bigged up by the manager and then is expected to drop straight into a team that's been losing and orchestrate a massive upturn. not a real expectation in my opinion. next season will be a much better judge of how good or otherwise he really is.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »

For me he needs to do the simple things more often. Keep the ball longer and use it wisely. Gives it away too much. Workrate too needs to improve.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

youngchubby69

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2017, 03:01:20 PM »
I think he needs an energetic ball winner in the midfield with him, lets face it he is not the right age for running around like a man possessed.
An Anthony church / Danny Sleath partnership would be great.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
I think he needs an energetic ball winner in the midfield with him, lets face it he is not the right age for running around like a man possessed.
An Anthony church / Danny Sleath partnership would be great.

At 27 he should still have plenty in the tank.

I don't think there's anything nailed on with Chapman staying yet. He has been offered a deal, so has Jay.

He may we'll stay. But there with be other clubs interested too.

His wiki page (career) is well worth a look. He has plenty of history of been offered new deals by League 2 & Conference clubs but turning them down for other offers.

As TTT said his role was never going to be glamorous , considering the mess we were in when he arrived. Holding midfield roles rarely catch the eye but he did a good job for us , protected the back four, organised & helped us keep our shape. In a midfield short of experience & confidence he was a talker & a leader - exactly what we lacking.