Author Topic: Q: When is a keeper not a keeper?  (Read 4696 times)

West Keal Pilgrim

• View Profile
Q: When is a keeper not a keeper?
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:48 PM »
A: when you're an FC Utd player.
On the face of it, Telford's 5-1 win last night to lift them off the bottom was impressive, but the lad who started in goal for FC Utd was injured after about 25 mins, and with no sub keeper, a winger went in goal, who, in turn, was red carded after 45 mins, so another outfielder had to put the gloves on for the second half!
3 keepers in one game! I have to say well done FC Utd for keeping the score down to 5-1. :)
tax free sarcasm and irony included

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Q: When is a keeper not a keeper?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
sounded like an interesting game!

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
FCUM often seem to have 6 goal matches, some for and some against.
United we stand..................

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »
This opens up the age old debate around whether or not you should have a keeper on the subs bench. The way I look at it, the goalkeeping position and the two centre halves are probably the positions statistically most likely to get sent off (professional foul, handball outside the area, etc.). A few weeks ago for example Bazza was sent off on his Stamford debut and not so long ago Greg Tempest had to keep goal for us. My choice would be to have a keeper amongst the five subs, assuming of course that there's a second keeper in the squad. The FCUM result proves what can happen when things go wrong and there's no keeper available.

For the same reason I'd also try and always include a player who could cover the central defensive position. A few weeks ago for example our subs bench was regularly being comprised of Robbins, Sands or Jones, Johnson, etc., etc. Arguably they were the only players we had available, but we might have been in trouble with a red card or injury for Garner or Piergianni. At least the new loan signing from Sheffield United should has now given the squad a better balance.

West Keal Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
This opens up the age old debate around whether or not you should have a keeper on the subs bench. The way I look at it, the goalkeeping position and the two centre halves are probably the positions statistically most likely to get sent off (professional foul, handball outside the area, etc.). A few weeks ago for example Bazza was sent off on his Stamford debut and not so long ago Greg Tempest had to keep goal for us. My choice would be to have a keeper amongst the five subs, assuming of course that there's a second keeper in the squad. The FCUM result proves what can happen when things go wrong and there's no keeper available.

For the same reason I'd also try and always include a player who could cover the central defensive position. A few weeks ago for example our subs bench was regularly being comprised of Robbins, Sands or Jones, Johnson, etc., etc. Arguably they were the only players we had available, but we might have been in trouble with a red card or injury for Garner or Piergianni. At least the new loan signing from Sheffield United should has now given the squad a better balance.

And your keeper case was almost confirmed if Fabian had grabbed more than thin air for their second goal. Credit to the forward for not going down. I agree, poor tactic with no keeper cover.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:01 PM »
How many keepers at this level want to be sat on the bench? ???
Or are prepared to regularly sit out games? ?

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »

Seems quite a few judging by how many teams have shown up at York St over the last few seasons with cover on their benches.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

Seems quite a few judging by how many teams have shown up at York St over the last few seasons with cover on their benches.

Fact is if they are prepared to sit on the bench week in week out they are most likely a poor keeper not in demand , or an average keeper demanding a big wage .

West Keal Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 06:46:51 AM »

Fact is if they are prepared to sit on the bench week in week out they are most likely a poor keeper not in demand , or an average keeper demanding a big wage .

Let's not forget Matt duke kept Fabian out of the Alfreton team, and barring 1 cock up this weekend, he's been good so far

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »

Let's not forget Matt duke kept Fabian out of the Alfreton team, and barring 1 cock up this weekend, he's been good so far

Yes he was sat on the bench....and now he's here......possibly underlines my original statements?