Author Topic: Tom Ward departs  (Read 12058 times)

Maxross

• View Profile
Re: Tom Ward departs
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
It seems that my interpretation of the term "loyality" has been incorrect.  I always thought if someone said they were "loyal" and had "agreed terms" it meant they'd be sticking around.  It seems the actual definition is "I'm loyal unitl somebody else makes me an offer"!

In all seriousness, I think the chances are he's going to get more of a chance at Gainsborough than here next season, so it's a good move for him and I've got no problem with him leaving on that basis.  However,  I do wish these guys wouldn't spout off to the local media about being loyal etc and then jump ship a week or two later, as it feels like they have treated us like mugs.

Loyalty is a two way street.

If BUFC wanted to be "loyal" to their players they would offer them a contract.

By not doing so, it gives them the chance to release them, as soon as someone else becomes available.
Its a fair point and I've no problem with Ward leaving if he feels its a good move for him.  Its just a little irritating that he'd done a story with the local press a couple of weeks ago stating that he was loyal to Boston and wouldn't leave as we'd given him his chance etc, etc.  I just think why do a story like that if the first time you get a half decent offer you are going to be off?!

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
Thank god for that. when i see Tom ward i nearly panicked as i thought the next word was going to be signed.

I said throu the season that we needed to out the back line and start a fresh. Ward was average on a good day and that was only 1 in 4/5 games. If he signs for Trinity then they are taking a bigger step back than i first thought.

Not commented on Stainfield leaving yet so will do that now, He be a very good player for Spalding and i wish him all the best but IHO i didn't think he was up to the job last season. Anyone want to differ on Ward/Stanefield need to just look at Goals against colume

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
Saying about showing loyalty would be offering him a contract, but he needs to earn a contract and so far he hasnt earnt a contract, we can afford to give every player a contract and them then to just sit and not put the performances in i dont think gainsborough fans will be happy with this signing

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »
Thank god for that. when i see Tom ward i nearly panicked as i thought the next word was going to be signed.

I said throu the season that we needed to out the back line and start a fresh. Ward was average on a good day and that was only 1 in 4/5 games. If he signs for Trinity then they are taking a bigger step back than i first thought.

Not commented on Stainfield leaving yet so will do that now, He be a very good player for Spalding and i wish him all the best but IHO i didn't think he was up to the job last season. Anyone want to differ on Ward/Stanefield need to just look at Goals against colume
= Haystead mistakes?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
Agree with you Bostonshire. I think he made too many mistakes. Let's just hope the manager can find someone better. The two that Drury brought in last season were no better in my opinion.

DL

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
Footballs a cut throat affair.  There are better out there surely, Ward was my preferred of the two that left but I'd never want to build a side around him, so non contract at best.  Think Greene has it right and if he is due to play full time at Gainsborough he'll need to work on his consistency that he has lacked since he won player of the month.  Wish him well and hope he now doesn't go on to prove us wrong.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
It seems that my interpretation of the term "loyality" has been incorrect.  I always thought if someone said they were "loyal" and had "agreed terms" it meant they'd be sticking around.  It seems the actual definition is "I'm loyal unitl somebody else makes me an offer"!

In all seriousness, I think the chances are he's going to get more of a chance at Gainsborough than here next season, so it's a good move for him and I've got no problem with him leaving on that basis.  However,  I do wish these guys wouldn't spout off to the local media about being loyal etc and then jump ship a week or two later, as it feels like they have treated us like mugs.

By not doing so, it gives them the chance to release them, as soon as someone else becomes available.
Its a fair point and I've no problem with Ward leaving if he feels its a good move for him.  Its just a little irritating that he'd done a story with the local press a couple of weeks ago stating that he was loyal to Boston and wouldn't leave as we'd given him his chance etc, etc.  I just think why do a story like that if the first time you get a half decent offer you are going to be off?!

Perhaps he was hoping BUFC would offer him a contract

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »

= Haystead mistakes?

I think Haystead was possibly the worst keeper I've seen down here given his age. His command of the area was poor, positioning average at best and his communication with his defence non existent at times. As people have said, the goals against column doesn't lie, we were wretched at times defensively last season and while Jason Lee should rightly take the majority of the blame for signing these players they often get little or no support from a midfield that was frankly pathetic.

However I never though that TW made the progress he should have, and its another nail in the coffin of those who think the reserves are good enough for the first team. Sanders and Nuttel need to get game time at Stamford or Grantham a league below us and see if they come back better for the experience.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

Perhaps he was hoping BUFC would offer him a contract

Boston still unable to compete with the Blues on wages !!!!

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
I think we can compete with them for wages but I think greene was only keeping them for back up. We needed wholesale defensive changes so at least them two leaving guarantees that. Wonder if we will see new signings this week before we start back for pre season

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
I think we can compete with them for wages but I think greene was only keeping them for back up. We needed wholesale defensive changes so at least them two leaving guarantees that. Wonder if we will see new signings this week before we start back for pre season

In years past we have given to many contract out at the beginning of the season. This as left us without the budget room if needed.

Try to think if Boston was 6-7 at xmas but looked a player short of the play offs and had a few players on the dead wood pile, If we gave contracts out to all our players we would not be able to get rid of them and bring in the player we need.  I don't think there be any difference in wages more the fact that its been made clear that they have got to earn there contracts for this season and will not be given them.

Ward must doubt his own ability

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
all this loyality rubblsh-- hes been turned by a few quid and will almost certainly regret it.
I liked the lad at times, but basically I do not think he was good enough.

If you are not part of the solution--you must be part of the problem-- he was after all part of the worst defence we have had for years-- dont have a go at me--just look at the goals conceeded. That only leaves Marshall from last year and he should consider himself lucky to still be here.

Hopefully this wilde fiasco will get sorted soon. We still need two central defenders, a strong tackling midfielder, and a brick s/house up front.

A long way to go to have a good team yet

Chicken legend

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 08:41:12 PM »
Totally agree with you Dt Woodhall.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
all this loyality rubblsh-- hes been turned by a few quid and will almost certainly regret it.

If you are not part of the solution--you must be part of the problem-- he was after all part of the worst defence we have had for years-- dont have a go at me--just look at the goals conceeded. That only leaves Marshall from last year and he should consider himself lucky to still be here.

Hopefully this wilde fiasco will get sorted soon. We still need two central defenders, a strong tackling midfielder, and a brick s/house up front.

That's PEARSON, MURPHY, CHURCH AND DAVIDSON ................SORTED THEN. Oh I have a dream...if only zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »

Is that all it needs to get sorted dt ? .    Remember a week ago we thought Ward and Stainfield were signed up .  Is there any more surprises in the pipeline ?