Author Topic: Retained list  (Read 6651 times)

woad_pilgrim

Re: Retained list
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
I agree with most of what you say, except the bit about who has been brought in. Ross, SWD and Connor Marshall made a big difference to the side and without them the need list would have been a lot bigger. I'm hopeful that JL already has players in mind for the key positions highlighted.

Ross is not a ball winning midfielder - nothing was even attempted there.

SWD is not a big lad for the plan b - Leon Constantine.... who then himself said he didn't fancy it

Marshall arrived at the end of Jan -  when so much ground had already been lost.

Overall the big areas were not dealt with quickly enough, I hope the lesson has been learnt, I'm just not sure it has.  Let's see who actually re-signs then we will see what is needed and for JL to earn his money.

Oh and I considered Holsgrove a jaw dropping signing, so maybe I should not be using that expression ;)

Without Ross SWD and Marshall we would of needed:

GK
CB
RB
A playmaker in midfield
A ball winner
Another finisher to play in the 3
A big lad for plan b

See the difference? When we had as many issues as last seasons team it's difficult to find the right personal at, and this is the critical bit, the right price. It's not that JL didn't try either:

CB was Parker, injury ruled him out so Whitey was brought in, once he went Austin was tried but was found wanting. Stainsfield was then brought in and once he got to the CN fitness level required has looked pretty solid. Him and Ward still need an older head to bring them on but will make a good CB pairing in the near future.

Right back was where we conceded a lot of goals due to J Fairclough, so was a position that needed urgent attention.

Ross was the playmaker that the team needed.

plan b was plan a at the start of the season. The big lad being Suarez and Stones as understudy. Neither of these worked out so JL started playing himself and brought in Burrows. Once it was realised long ball didn't really suit the rest of the team then it was obvious that the team needed a foil for Newsh. SWD filled that role pretty quickly. The big man role was played out by JL who it has to be said wasn't up to it.

The ball winner is the biggest role that hasn't really been filled. Armstrong/Wilkinson sort of did that role but weren't up to the job. Church's shoes are big ones to fill and this is the biggest problem in the team, the right man in this position would have put 7/10 points on the team imo. The lad at number 4 for Guiseley looked good, maybe worth giving him a trial (if he's interested)?

So really it's not that it hasn't been addressed, more there where more problems at the start, yeah some of those players where JL's signings but I believe he has learned from his mistakes. And Holsgrove, I was never convinced, too many opposition fans (from Alty, Hyde and Colwyn) who said he flattered to deceive and had 1 good game a season. It just so happened for Hyde it was against us near the end.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:50:22 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Maybe we also need another winger/forward to replace Semple.

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
To be honest thought jelleyman had a shocker of a season compared to his previous efforts and expected him to be released but obviously JL has faith in him.

Still shocked about semples, hes had an injury hit season and still dances past defenders when fully fit so through he deserved something.

As it has been mentioned bazza kept us in games but also cost us a few.

Canners, quite injury prone now

Kev Austin, was expected. Did well for a time but good luck to him

Chris Hall, wasn't really given enough chances

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
As many have said it is now (providing those offered deals accept) it is obvious we need a goalie, cb, ball winner and a centre forward and if the budget allows hopefully another winger. Jason Lees  ability to fill these positions with the required quality of player in the summer will shape next season and probably Jason's future. Until proved otherwise I'm optimistic about next season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
I wonder what Shaun Pearson was doing at York Street tonight?

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
P86 Dont know why he was at York Street,but know he is contracted to Grimsby until May 2013

Gus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
Pearson put on twitter that he was on his way home to his parents in Norfolk and finished uo sleeping on the settee!

Probably just called for old times sake.