Author Topic: Barrow AFC  (Read 8316 times)

poshpilgrim

• View Profile
Barrow AFC
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »
I see on barrows forum one person has described boston fans as barn door savages. Also they say they are bringing 2 coaches. Lets hope that by 5 o clock saturday we can prove money cant buy you everything and the barn door savages can have a party.

black n yella

Re: Barrow AFC
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »
Afc wheelbarrow wtf ? Presumably they let their first wheelbarrow die.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
Suggest that Paul Bastock should be the Legend for the day. That would be interesting

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
Anyone who has ever spoken to Paul Bastock will know that he is one of footballs nice guys so some of the comments from Barrow fans are well of the mark.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
Obviously they'll not see these comments until after the game, as they'll have set off already. :dan
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:38 PM »
Anyone who has ever spoken to Paul Bastock will know that he is one of footballs nice guys so some of the comments from Barrow fans are well of the mark.
Do you know the reason why they don't like him? It was a huge misjudgement from him.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
No what was the issue with Bazza? Don't even remember him playing against them in my time. Don't think they were in the Conf Prem last time we were or during the Doc Martins league days? Anything before that is before my time.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
He took the piss out of a Barrow player, and accused him of diving by doing a dive himself. It turned out, the player actually had broken his leg.

This was in the old UniBond (mid-90s) time. They wouldn't be in the Dr Martens League, as that was the SOUTHERN Premier League.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »
He took the piss out of a Barrow player, and accused him of diving by doing a dive himself. It turned out, the player actually had broken his leg.

This was in the old UniBond (mid-90s) time. They wouldn't be in the Dr Martens League, as that was the SOUTHERN Premier League.

It was the game at Barrow in February 1994.  Barrow defender Tim Parkin broke his leg following a tackle - can't remember who made the tackle but it wasn't Bazza - but Bazza thought he was play acting and had dived and made his opinion known to the Barrow fans behind his goal. And for this error of judgement he was vilified by Barrow fans for ever after.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »
Yeah sounds like Bazza got that one wrong. Thanks for the info.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
As far as I can see, the two times we've experienced tomorrow's ref have been wins - 3-1 at Gloucester and 2-1 at Solihull, both last season.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:16:08 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Parkin

Seems like it was a career ending injury to make matters a little worse :-(

Let's hope Bazza never gets stopped for speeding in Barrow looing at his follow up career?

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
Bazza turned to the Barrow fans and made his leg go like jelly to show barrow fans that their lad had broke his leg nothing to do with a dive at all.

He was a marked man ever since even at home remember getting himself sent off for a scuffle with one of their strikers in penalty box at York St end

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
I was at the game and in all fairness to Bastock, I doubt he was aware of the extent of the injury.

The long walk to the changing room situated behind the home teams goal however, gave the home fans ample time to suggest that he may have been a tad harsh in his mimicry.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
I was at the game and in all fairness to Bastock, I doubt he was aware of the extent of the injury.

The long walk to the changing room situated behind the home teams goal however, gave the home fans ample time to suggest that he may have been a tad harsh in his mimicry.

I was there that day too. I will never forget that as we were leaving and making our way around to the exit behind the above goal I was approached by an irate Barrow fan (actually foul mouthed yob would be a better description). He shouted at me saying something like (minus the swear words after every other word) "Give us that Boston scarf mate, I'm going to strangle your goalkeeper with it".

Years later I worked with a younger Barrow fan at Manchester City Council and he told me that the story of that day had been passed down to him by his Dad - the name Paul Bastock, apparently, will not be forgotten in the Barrow area.