Author Topic: Get the squad sorted early.  (Read 4113 times)

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
Get the squad sorted early.
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
Please can this season we get the squad sorted early as in the last 2 seasons we have had indifferent starts only to have all to late great finishes.
Id like to see all the in's and out's sorted asap (which to be fair looks like Dennis is trying to do).

So what is needed this season player wise??
Last year we could all see we needed a keeper, Left Back and Center midfielder and it took a long long while to sort.

1st target for me would be a replacement for Pidge to play alongside Nat Brown he was excellent and added the vital experience the team lacks.(we need to sign Nat as well)
2nd We need to sort Southwell is he staying or going. Id like to see us sign another striker anyhow. One that we can have ready just incase Southwell leaves us a few weeks into the season.
3rd Id like to see another type of midfielder to add to the squad so we can vary our play a little in this area to cope with the stronger physical sides.
4th A bit more strength in depth a bench that has more about it. So generally bolster the squad by 2 or 3 extra bodies that are capable of being 1st team regulars.

I feel as Dennis says if we can get our best side on the pitch we can win games but we need more depth to the squad now id be asking Mr Newton to get us up this season with the new ground coming and the chance for him to coin it in with his housing build surely there is some extra funds available it would be so nice to be in our new home in the National League Prem.

This is what I feel is needed if we are to go for it this year rather than hope it happens like in the past 3 seasons.
Your thoughts???

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Get the squad sorted early.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
It would be great to stay in the top five all season,  and even better to win it outright, but I don't think the club has the budget.  I thought we were £2m short of funding for the new ground?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »
Please can this season we get the squad sorted early as in the last 2 seasons we have had indifferent starts only to have all to late great finishes.
Id like to see all the in's and out's sorted asap (which to be fair looks like Dennis is trying to do).

So what is needed this season player wise??
Last year we could all see we needed a keeper, Left Back and Center midfielder and it took a long long while to sort.

1st target for me would be a replacement for Pidge to play alongside Nat Brown he was excellent and added the vital experience the team lacks.(we need to sign Nat as well)
2nd We need to sort Southwell is he staying or going. Id like to see us sign another striker anyhow. One that we can have ready just incase Southwell leaves us a few weeks into the season.
3rd Id like to see another type of midfielder to add to the squad so we can vary our play a little in this area to cope with the stronger physical sides.
4th A bit more strength in depth a bench that has more about it. So generally bolster the squad by 2 or 3 extra bodies that are capable of being 1st team regulars.

I feel as Dennis says if we can get our best side on the pitch we can win games but we need more depth to the squad now id be asking Mr Newton to get us up this season with the new ground coming and the chance for him to coin it in with his housing build surely there is some extra funds available it would be so nice to be in our new home in the National League Prem.

This is what I feel is needed if we are to go for it this year rather than hope it happens like in the past 3 seasons.
Your thoughts???

I,m sure most of us think along the same lines ......but

1 .  Can anyone suggest a replacement to make the same impact as Pidge ?

2.   Dayle and his agent (and maybe others) no doubt will dictate if and when they leaves/stays .

3.   As ED K says not the budget and I doubt DN will dig deeper into his own pocket .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:42:52 AM »
i really believe that next season will be DG's most difficult.
a combination of losing and replacing key players combined with "big" teams dropping down and being promoted.
we may have to be patient.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
At least 3 full-time teams in the league next season.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 12:30:27 PM »
In an ideal world the squad would be sorted early. I think the difficulty is that many players don't become available until later in the summer, for one reason or another. Sometimes it pays to hang fire and pick up some of these players.

I think it's just as important we use our friendlies effectively, regardless of personnel, to make sure we get the right system and way of playing in place. If we do this, it will make the inevitable changes as the year progresses easier to integrate. DG always seems to get there in the end but this season it seems to have taken a long time. For example, during nearly all of our pre-season games last season, we played a big man up front (Garner in fact) but that didn't happen at all once the season got underway.

I don't think the league will be any tougher than this season. Not all the teams that enter the league are going to be candidates for promotion. Just look at Telford last year coming down from the Conference and then FCUM coming up - both struggled all season.

TEP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
And let's be honest: Southwell will probably only commit to us if there's no better offer, so if he does sign up for next season we surely won't find that out any time soon. Of course, I hope I'm wrong and he just loves us so much he pens a three year deal, but....

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
Apparently, there is interest north of the border. If so, we get no compensation...

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Apparently, there is interest north of the border. If so, we get no compensation...
is that border the Humber?
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684