Author Topic: Attendance 905...is it really that poor for a Tues night game ?  (Read 10102 times)

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance 905...is it really that poor for a Tues night game ?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
Yes David, it's crap.
A sign of form and feeling towards the manager that we'd not got 900 home fans. Our last midweek home gate must've been 2 years ago, so although it was about what I expected, it is still very disappointing.
We are only 11th in the crowd rankings and we've arguably had our largest away support visit us already. Not good. We've probably budgeted for near 1500 crowds, not 1000 crowds

We are never going to be a 1,500 average attendance team though Josh unless we reach football league again. Our gates are at best 1,300 and many as low as 1,150 on Saturdays. I know Mr Newton said in the past that he expects around 1,200 on average throughout the season, so i would say that is more than likely the sort of figure that our budget is based around.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:02:47 PM by leftbackinthedressingroom »

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:30 PM »
We'd average easy 1500 in this league if we were up there
Even last year despite a poor start we averaged 1300. Add in larger away supports and a playoff push from the off, we'd average 1500 easily. If we were title contenders, perhaps 1700 like we did in the SPL in 1999/2000
Then there's the Conference, for a first season we'd be well over 1,500 unless we really did struggle. Seem to recall us averaging 2,000+ for a midtable first year in the Conference is 2000/1

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
Agreed, the Manchester area clubs will get a lot of boosters through Halifax, Stockport, FCUM and perhaps Darlington whilst they're doing quite well. Average game from Manchester is 75 miles. Our average is about 120 miles.
What do we get? 300 FCUM, 200 Halifax and 300 from Darlington this year I'd imagine. Everyone else bar Stockport- under 100

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 07:26:35 PM »
We'd average easy 1500 in this league if we were up there
Even last year despite a poor start we averaged 1300. Add in larger away supports and a playoff push from the off, we'd average 1500 easily. If we were title contenders, perhaps 1700 like we did in the SPL in 1999/2000
Then there's the Conference, for a first season we'd be well over 1,500 unless we really did struggle. Seem to recall us averaging 2,000+ for a midtable first year in the Conference is 2000/1

Outside the Prem gates have steadily fallen over the last 15 years .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »
I think Leftback's numbers err on the pessimistic.

I agree with Josh - we'd probably be looking at around 1,500 if we were doing well, and if we were challenging for the title we'd be looking at 2,000.

In the Conference I think you'd be looking at the same for a mid-table season. Title-challenging up there, we'd be looking at 2000+ most games, which is similar to what I'd expect us to get for most FL games if we ever returned. Remember, for the really important games we can pull in about 3,000, even at this level.

It probably seems a bit sad all this, but the obsession with crowd sizes is understandable. When you're not doing well on the pitch it's the thing you can cling to so you can reassure yourself things are better than it seems. So on the one hand it's nice to know we can get those crowds, but on the other it makes it all the more frustrating when we don't.

It'll be interesting to see what bearing the new ground will have on crowds.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 04:51:46 PM »
I would go with Lb re crowds ..
   Re new ground I said as soon as it was announced to go all out to secure max season tickets whilst the ground is built .
     Have a permanent showplace while it goes up ..sell the seasons on Sundays as the stadium completes .
       Chestnuts should know the drill , similar to an enhanced sales office on their residential sites .

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »
I think Leftback's numbers err on the pessimistic.

I agree with Josh - we'd probably be looking at around 1,500 if we were doing well, and if we were challenging for the title we'd be looking at 2,000.

In the Conference I think you'd be looking at the same for a mid-table season. Title-challenging up there, we'd be looking at 2000+ most games, which is similar to what I'd expect us to get for most FL games if we ever returned. Remember, for the really important games we can pull in about 3,000, even at this level.

It probably seems a bit sad all this, but the obsession with crowd sizes is understandable. When you're not doing well on the pitch it's the thing you can cling to so you can reassure yourself things are better than it seems. So on the one hand it's nice to know we can get those crowds, but on the other it makes it all the more frustrating when we don't.

It'll be interesting to see what bearing the new ground will have on crowds.

That's the key words though Pete B, " if we are doing well ", which as we all know, we are not consistent enough throughout any given season of late to be able to produce those gates, meaning an average of around 1,200 at best. When we do well, or say play a so called big named team then others will come out of the woodwork to boost numbers. But where are they the rest of the season ?  So, basically, my figures was based solely on a season average, and not highs and lows. I agree, we want to be achieving 1,500, but just now many games in the last three years alone have hit those figures of Boston fans alone, minus the away fans ?   Play off games of course always hit an even higher mark, but like i say, that is only because a few come out of the woodwork to attend a "big game".   So folks, how do we propose that we can bring in the extra 200-300 each week solidly ?  Will the out of town move aid this or make it harder ? 

Mick lawson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
I was asked today if there was some kind of protest against the manager on Tuesday as the town end were very quiet. I sit behind the dugout so don't know what is said in the town end but did notice it was quiet. But like most people thought that was because everyone was so tense watching what was a must win game.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »
I was asked today if there was some kind of protest against the manager on Tuesday as the town end were very quiet. I sit behind the dugout so don't know what is said in the town end but did notice it was quiet. But like most people thought that was because everyone was so tense watching what was a must win game.
fully agree Mick

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
Attendances will now start to increase following Tuesday's win as, hopefully, we have now come through our "blip" start.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 09:14:44 PM »
Attendances will now start to increase following Tuesday's win as, hopefully, we have now come through our "blip" start.

Someone always attempts to spoil it for the moaners . :)