Author Topic: compensation for church and pearson  (Read 9947 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: compensation for church and pearson
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »
It appears we would not have got as much without agreeing to FA and Grimsby demand to keep it secret.

I have no issue with Newton agreeing to that given the financial situation at the club. No-one is going to have a go at him for that.

BUT, this is a general issue that needs tackling at a higher level to ensure football - particularly issues around tribunals, governance, discipline and so on - is more open to scrutiny. It is simply wrong that Grimsby were able to offer a sum on the condition of it remaining undisclosed. I cannot think of a good reason for it. Needless, petty secrecy is bad for the game.

Nothing to do with what fans deserve or any of that - the whole grubby 'behind-closed-doors' culture has absolutely got to go, and I have no doubt that it eventually will. The sooner the better.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Totally agree Pete B

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
The only reason I can think of Pete is Grimsby had to pay more than they dare admit to the fans.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
.....if you hunt around on the internet you will see the amounts of money involved...
Less than £20k combined?

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »
.....if you hunt around on the internet you will see the amounts of money involved...
Less than £20k combined?

That's a lot of cash for a club on the edge when they have acquired a loanee for another club and a bench warmer !

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
Seems as though we wanted £20k each, they offered £10k the pair.. hence the "closer to their valuation, but more than what they offered".

les

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
Well now the deal is settled Pearson played tonight in their money making win in the Cup.
They must have thought that he was good enough for that.

travelling man

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
Surely there is some sense in keeping some matters private?

If we were doing it the cheat`s way and boasting about how much we got, when we target a player, the club we are trying to a deal with think the price can go up to absorb some of our cash?

Just a thought.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »
Grimsby Telegraph

BOSTON chairman David Newton admits he is not 'totally happy' with the outcome of the tribunal hearing for compensation due from Grimsby Town for duo Shaun Pearson and Anthony Church.

But the Pilgrims chief says the club have to be satisfied that the outcome will see them receive more than what Town offered for the pair in the summer.

Monday's hearing at Wembley Stadium ended with the Mariners having to fork out an undisclosed fee that the Telegraph understands is less than £20,000 – under half of what is believed to have been the asking price for the young players.

No official figures have been revealed but Newton says Boston got what they expected for Church and less than they wanted for England C international Pearson.

But he is happy they got more than what Town offered, believed to be around the £10,000 for the pair, and says that vindicates the decision to go to a tribunal.

Newton said: "I think satisfied would be the phrase.

"We're not totally happy because we had a figure in mind.

"Grimsby offered a lower figure and what we will receive is somewhere in between.

"In terms of (the money we will receive for) Church, I think the amount was bang on where we thought we would be.

"For Pearson, we were just short of where we thought we would be.

"I think we certainly did the right thing going to a tribunal, as we received more money than Grimsby had offered."

Both clubs remain in dispute over the switch of managers Paul Hurst and Rob Scott to Town from York Street with a court hearing pending.

That was initially expected to be before Christmas but it is now understood it could be February before the case is heard.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
If it is around the £20,000 figure, I guess that would be roughly the cost of the wages for two part time BSBN quality players for a season

Seenbetter

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
One good thing about keeping the award secret is that it should stop a lot of pointless speculation about the outcome of the scott/hurst case, because they will probably keep that to themselves as well. Probably the only way we will know if the outcome of that is in our favour will be the announcement of a new signing or JLs retirement or the issuing of a seat cushion for the retired old fart who sits next to me.  ;D

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
????????? Fenty back on the board at Grimsby. When did that happen

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:26 PM »
Yesterday at their AGM

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
http://www.alfretontownfc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=535&SID=8z27dc8fzf6daf4384f9433d1ce9c6cb

Church getting good reviews from the Alfreton fans after todays game, despite a missed pen.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.