Author Topic: D G  (Read 36916 times)

Maxross

• View Profile
Re: D G
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »
I can't disagree with the negative Greene stats, my stats weren't intended to strengthen Greene's position, more the need to strengthen the defence. 

I can honestly say out of all of our managerial appointments in the past couple of seasons since Scott and Hurst left, I've not really been inspired by any, particularly in the case of Drury and Greene.  The point is though, they were appointed and its my opinion that we've got to get behind them and at the very least give them the opportunity to prove themselves.  We all have different opinions but I think what unites us all (or should do) is the desire for Boston to be succesful.  I find all this nit picking every single summer on every single manager completely counter productive to us being succesful. Can anybody suggest how all this will contribute to a succesful season?

I also think its sad that football talk always gets drowned out by talk of whether or not any of us approve of the current manager of the day.  Even though Scoot and Hurst were eventually succesful, people even grumbled about them in the early days.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say Scott was pretty arrogant and didn't they fall out with their old chairman?

I've got no problem with critiscm of managers, but its become an obsession on this forum now and I think this club is almost becoming unmanagable.

Can anyone find a statement in the above that can be contridicted ?   I can,t .

Let,s take all the above on board and get a life .
Didn't see Maxross trying to tell them to stop critisizing.

Actually if you look back through my posts on the subject you will see that I did appeal to people to stop criticising Mr Drury, as I also did with Lee/Canoville and Lee and I dare say every other manager through the last 10 years I've been posting on here.  I'm pretty consistent on that in general, even if I'm not a particular fan of the manager.  I've always respected you Woad_Pilgrim and in general agree with the vast majority of your posts.  I'm not trying to subdue anybody's right to free speech either.  I'm simply trying to appeal to people to at least give the manager a chance before we start tearing him apart as we have done with the last three management teams.

The point I was trying to make was that its totally counter-productive in the aim of making this club succesful, which I assume is what we all want.  I'm sorry if that upsets anybody, but thats MY opinion which I am also allowed to have so I will not stop posting.  Where I see over negativity I simply try to provide some balance.

As for Howmanynamestopick and Chris47, I hope nothing I've posted has offended you.  The reason I posted was because when I saw all the negativity, it made my heart sink and I too thought my plans to buy a season ticket this year might have to be reviewed.  I also feel depressed that this forum spends most of its time devoted to getting at whoever happens to be the manager at the time, rather than talking about football matters. 

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »
I can't disagree with the negative Greene stats, my stats weren't intended to strengthen Greene's position, more the need to strengthen the defence. 

I can honestly say out of all of our managerial appointments in the past couple of seasons since Scott and Hurst left, I've not really been inspired by any, particularly in the case of Drury and Greene.  The point is though, they were appointed and its my opinion that we've got to get behind them and at the very least give them the opportunity to prove themselves.  We all have different opinions but I think what unites us all (or should do) is the desire for Boston to be succesful.  I find all this nit picking every single summer on every single manager completely counter productive to us being succesful. Can anybody suggest how all this will contribute to a succesful season?

I also think its sad that football talk always gets drowned out by talk of whether or not any of us approve of the current manager of the day.  Even though Scoot and Hurst were eventually succesful, people even grumbled about them in the early days.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say Scott was pretty arrogant and didn't they fall out with their old chairman?

I've got no problem with critiscm of managers, but its become an obsession on this forum now and I think this club is almost becoming unmanagable.

Didn't see Maxross trying to tell them to stop critisizing.

Actually if you look back through my posts on the subject you will see that I did appeal to people to stop criticising Mr Drury, as I also did with Lee/Canoville and Lee and I dare say every other manager through the last 10 years I've been posting on here.  I'm pretty consistent on that in general, even if I'm not a particular fan of the manager.  I've always respected you Woad_Pilgrim and in general agree with the vast majority of your posts.  I'm not trying to subdue anybody's right to free speech either.  I'm simply trying to appeal to people to at least give the manager a chance before we start tearing him apart as we have done with the last three management teams.

The point I was trying to make was that its totally counter-productive in the aim of making this club succesful, which I assume is what we all want.  I'm sorry if that upsets anybody, but thats MY opinion which I am also allowed to have so I will not stop posting.  Where I see over negativity I simply try to provide some balance.

As for Howmanynamestopick and Chris47, I hope nothing I've posted has offended you.  The reason I posted was because when I saw all the negativity, it made my heart sink and I too thought my plans to buy a season ticket this year might have to be reviewed.  I also feel depressed that this forum spends most of its time devoted to getting at whoever happens to be the manager at the time, rather than talking about football matters.

Don't let it grind you down Max. Go see John and Maureen and get that season ticket bought, got mine yesterday. Keep the faith UTP
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »

To perfectly honest Maxross you got caught in the crossfire. I was frustrated with some of the players retained and the double standards on here of people, if it'd been other managers they'd have been slaughtered for who was kept. Let's just put it down to me having a bad day. If I hadn't have said something publicly on here as a protest I probably would have protested by not going next season, and as someone who has missed less than 20 games home and away in the last 10 seasons I don't think the club need to be losing that type of fan. I just felt the need to vent my frustration.

I do still have serious doubts but I've done that to death so won't say any more (about the manager, but will players signed) until Dennis has had a chance to sign some players and we've seen them play a few competitive games. Nobody knows the future, perhaps this is the club were Dennis will make his mark, perhaps Stainsfield and Ward will progress beyond all recognition, I sincerely hope so.

Edit: Meant to say wasn't telling you to stop posting on here, yours is one of the most balanced views more often than not backed up by facts, we need more like you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:29:07 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »

To perfectly honest Maxross you got caught in the crossfire. I was frustrated with some of the players retained and the double standards on here of people, if it'd been other managers they'd have been slaughtered for who was kept. Let's just put it down to me having a bad day. If I hadn't have said something publicly on here as a protest I probably would have protested by not going next season, and as someone who has missed less than 20 games home and away in the last 10 seasons I don't think the club need to be losing that type of fan. I just felt the need to vent my frustration.

I do still have serious doubts but I've done that to death so won't say any more (about the manager, but will players signed) until Dennis has had a chance to sign some players and we've seen them play a few competitive games. Nobody knows the future, perhaps this is the club were Dennis will make his mark, perhaps Stainsfield and Ward will progress beyond all recognition, I sincerely hope so.

Edit: Meant to say wasn't telling you to stop posting on here, yours is one of the most balanced views more often than not backed up by facts, we need more like you.

No harm done, we all have bad days and thank you for your kind comments, along with Tash.  I'm glad you vented yout frustrations here rather than not going next season, as I always enjoy reading your opinions and match reports.  I do take on board some of your comments about the manager. I also remember feeling similar irritation when Jason Lee left and some of those who never gave him a chance, appealed hard for Drury to be given a chance.  Personally I think once appointed, we should give all managers our support.  I believe true success is built on continuity, so I really don't like seeing managers being fired every few months.

I'm definitly going to purchase a season ticket this year, in great part thanks to the club bringing back the kids deal which is a real plus for me having three football mad boys.  I'd already told them, so I've got no chance of going back on it now!

I do think the debate on keeping Stainsfield and Ward is an interesting one.  I personally really like Stainsfield as a player, I take peoples points, his distribution is poor and he's never going to be a classy centre back who can play it out from the back.  However he is very strong in the air provides a major physical presence and is a true battler, the sort of guy you'd want in the trenches with you.  I think you need a few players with those qualities in this league, especially against the sides with a pair of hoof monster at the back and a giant battering ram up front.  He's also weighed in with a few goals, providing an aerial threat at set pieces, and played in some of our big wins.  I think if you put him alongside an experienced centre back for a season he'd come on leaps and bounds.  He also proved he could do a job as a holding midfielder. I think he's worth keeping as a squad player at least, especially if he's not on big money.

In the case of Ward, he hasn't stood out as much for me this season as last and perhaps a loan spell would be good for him to get his confidence back.  In both cases I think you could argue that we've asked a lot of them this season throwing two young centre backs with very little experience together and expecting them to perform like pro's week in week out.  I think its the sort of position in a side where you really do need some experience.  You can't make mistakes back there without being punished.  Time will tell I guess.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
True about ward but he don't cost much so can become a good back up why gaining more experience at a low cost

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »

Get a life! But you, along with others where happy enough to join in with the verbal assault by most on here of Graham Drury, some of it libelous in the comparison to a convicted fraudster. If it were me I would have sued the people drawing the comparisons. Didn't see Maxross trying to tell them to stop critisizing.

I can contradict, Maxross is talking about the forum as an individual thing, when it is in fact a collection of individuals with their own opinions. It's called freedom of speech and Maxross nor anyone else will tell me what to do, as long as I am not libelous or contradicting any of the rules on here or being abusive then he has no right.

For what its worth, I was behind Jase Lee right up until the 2 or 3 weeks before he was sacked, as you know. I defended him and the team, including during Summer recruitment. I defended the decision to keep almost all of the 11/12 season squad as I saw potential. Unfortunately they didn't fulfill that potential IMO so I now admin I was wrong about his team.

Drury I was behind right till the end and was disappointed when he was sacked. I defended him against almost total critism on here until I had enough of the rubbish being spouted so I stopped posting. I suggest Maxross does the same if he doesn't like what's being said.

So for the first time I am critisizing a manager, mainly down to keeping the 2 CB's who have conceded so many goals and have been the weak point in the team. He could have kept virtually anyone else and I wouldn't have had so much of a problem. And if that is what I think, that is what I'll say. Seems to me this forum's users have a pack mentality, if the majority agree then it must be right.

So I'll continue to say it how I see it, I will get behind the lads and the manager, like BG I'll eat as much humble pie as you like if I'm wrong. I hope for the clubs sake I am because I don't want another season like last.

Just to put the record straigt WP I did back the manager from the start as at the time  I would have picked him in front of Greene .  From the off I was disapointed with his PR but was prepared to tolerate that .    It was after his first 4/5 signings and his inability to attract players from lower leagues that I formed the opinion rightly or wrongly he was not the man for the job .
I do not participate in verbal assualt on the forum or the Spayne Rd terrace unless you consider "bullshit " verbal assault , considering his time on construction sites I can  assure you that comment would be water of a ducks back to Graham .
To the best of my intentions I do not do" libelous "  ,  if you were referring to my posts can you please point out where it appears .
Hope we have a better season so I can look forward to away match reports again .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »
According to Craigs twitter a new signing in this weekend .

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Ashley timms new goalkeeper. Heard it here first.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
Just to put the record straigt WP I did back the manager from the start as at the time  I would have picked him in front of Greene .  From the off I was disapointed with his PR but was prepared to tolerate that .    It was after his first 4/5 signings and his inability to attract players from lower leagues that I formed the opinion rightly or wrongly he was not the man for the job .
I do not participate in verbal assualt on the forum or the Spayne Rd terrace unless you consider "bullshit " verbal assault , considering his time on construction sites I can  assure you that comment would be water of a ducks back to Graham .
To the best of my intentions I do not do" libelous "  ,  if you were referring to my posts can you please point out where it appears .
Hope we have a better season so I can look forward to away match reports again .
Cannot remember who said it, think there may have been more than one, but Drury was compared to Evans, it was inferred that GD would do the same if DN didn't run such a tight ship (commit fraud). That is libelous no two ways about it. However much you dislike a manger that is bang out of order. As I said not saying it was you but I was disappointed that someone who's opinion I respected would throw their hat in with people who could stoop to such lows.

Spain Road I found disgusting when forced onto this terrace for the recent match against Halifax. Some of the bile coming out after about 5 or 10 minutes I'm surprised anyone wants to stop here and play. Like you cannot understand how that's supporting your team still takes all sorts.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »
Cannot remember who said it, think there may have been more than one, but Drury was compared to Evans, it was inferred that GD would do the same if DN didn't run such a tight ship (commit fraud). That is libelous no two ways about it. However much you dislike a manger that is bang out of order. As I said not saying it was you but I was disappointed that someone who's opinion I respected would throw their hat in with people who could stoop to such lows.

Spain Road I found disgusting when forced onto this terrace for the recent match against Halifax. Some of the bile coming out after about 5 or 10 minutes I'm surprised anyone wants to stop here and play. Like you cannot understand how that's supporting your team still takes all sorts.

My comments against Drury were rather mild for a  run of the mill  football forum,  in no way do I do verbal abuse on forum or terrace .  Being discribed as "throwing my hat in with people who stoop to such lows " is inappropiate .  Same opinion as them (as many had ) but I put mine in a differant manner .

Sadly I cannot argue with your last paragraph .

I,ve made my point , matter closed with no ill feeling on my part ..

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »
I stand on said terrace and am very supportive of the team you can't just tar everyone with the same brush. 

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »

My comments against Drury were rather mild for a  run of the mill  football forum,  in no way do I do verbal abuse on forum or terrace .  Being discribed as "throwing my hat in with people who stoop to such lows " is inappropiate .  Same opinion as them (as many had ) but I put mine in a differant manner .

Read it again, I didn't say they were your comments. But if you were stood with a group of people, they were hurling loads of inappropriate abuse at someone and you join in with mild abuse. Do you think anyone on the receiving end will think, well that person stood with them hurling light abuse didn't agree with the rest? Because it's the internet things seem to be more acceptable, not just here all over the internet. Anyway as you say case closed and no, no ill feelings.

I stand on said terrace and am very supportive of the team you can't just tar everyone with the same brush. 
Again read it again, some of the bile...tell me how that's taring everyone with the same brush?

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
Yes but you started with I find disgusting. Talking of bile im sick of this forum lol
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:44:12 PM by The Big M »

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
Yes but you started with I find disgusting
Jesus H Christ. I did find the comments disgusting. It's quite obvious that it's not everyone who stands on that terrace. Anyway that's it I'm done with this forum. I don't need the aggro, I've kept away for a long while and realise now it was a mistake coming back on.

Call it a flounce or whatever but I won't be commenting on here again.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »

Read it again, I didn't say they were your comments. But if you were stood with a group of people, they were hurling loads of inappropriate abuse at someone and you join in with mild abuse. Do you think anyone on the receiving end will think, well that person stood with them hurling light abuse didn't agree with the rest? Because it's the internet things seem to be more acceptable, not just here all over the internet. Anyway as you say case closed and no, no ill feelings.

To clarify WP . I did light abuse as you call it on here .   Never do abuse on the  terrace . Would be drowned out where I stand  ;)
Again read it again, some of the bile...tell me how that's taring everyone with the same brush?