Author Topic: 4.3.3.  (Read 3749 times)

shinnster

• View Profile
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
I read that semps has said that he loves the new 4 3 3  formation gives him a chance to shine,and I believe that this is the way forward if we cant get solid goal scorers on the books then an attacking midfield could work and compliment the strikers just as well lets hope it works.

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: 4.3.3.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
Seems to suite semps and holdgrove well!, if we can get newsh fit he could play between them and we know he has goals in him

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
4 3 3 was tried in Scott and Hurst's first season with us and didn't really work as certain players didn't  play to their full potential in that formation  such as Clarke and Camm who as a result were shipped out with the team performing much better when we switched to 4 4 2 and the arrival of players like Yates and SWD.
Having said that there is no reason why 4 3 3 wouldn't work now as we probably have players who are better suited to the formation such as Holdsgrove. Without anyone in the squad at the moment who sticks out as a 20 goal a season man 4 3 3 may also help share the goals about a bit. With Church and Sleath in the middle last season their understanding, quality and workrate meant that we didn't struggle against teams who did play three in the middle. One player who probably played his best football in the 4 3 3 under Scott and Hurst was Newsham who is now returning to full fitness. Wilks, Milnes and Milly have all put forward a good case for a contract for next season and could work well as a three until Sleath returns if deals can be done. So maybe 4 3 3 is the best way forward at the moment.

Bazza

Fairclough         Canners                                     Parker                          Jells

Milly             Milnes                     Wilks

Semps                                                    Holdsgrove

Suarez

Jockey
Newsh (can't see his fitness being 100 % for the start of the season)
Austin
Stones
Ward

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »
Forgetting Chris Hall? He played really well in the middle of the 3 midfielders on Saturdays - despite being a winger!

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
Well . .
   I've been saying it all along haven't I .
  One reason for 433 is that it is difficult to get 2 central strikers to work together  .
   Also it should cut out a proportion of those meaningless crosses .
  Allows the likes of Semps to take a more striking position  .
   Yes ,  dont forget C H . . he's actually signed  ! ! 

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »
also i dont think canners is going to play himself that much cant see them leaving austin on the bench

shinnster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
yes the way you have it laid out carl is great i can see young milnes dictating midfield played well on sat and hes quick and not shy at having a crack

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
When doing this sort of thing people always forget the opposition.  I always think 4-3-3 look vunerable to the quick counter.  It take a very disiplined central midfielder not to wander leaving the back 4 open.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
I agree, LCB.  We've tried 4-3-3 a few times over recent years.  It can become 4-5-1 too easily, which is fine if you're looking to counter-attack away from home, but a bit negative for a home game.

It can be very effective away from home if there is pace and movement in the front three, but it's never really seemed to suit us at home.

That could be more to do with the players we have had available rather than the merits of the formation - how often have we had 3 midfielders good enough (and with the stamina) to play in a 3 man midfield, or 3 forwards good enough to be an effective front 3? 

If it's going to be our favoured formation, at least we can sign players accordingly - Holdsgrove looks as if he can play on the left of a front 3,  and Semple seems to be doing OK as well; Newsh could play that role as well, but the middle man of the 3 really needs to be bigger so he can be used as a target man for the others to play off - can Mikel play that role?

We need at least another 2 midfielders, and if we can get players who fit 4-3-3, no reason why we shouldn't give it a go, as long as we've got plans B and C ready for those games where it doesn't work.