Author Topic: GRIMSBY  (Read 7048 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
GRIMSBY
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Are fielding a youth side at Grantham tonight in the Lincs Cup .
Reading the GT it seems Paul wants to give his first choice team a good run out at Jakemans on saturday .

Steviemas

• View Profile
Re: GRIMSBY
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:23:04 PM »
Step up in class was evident this afternoon, apart from a massive mistake by McKeown for grimsby we barely troubled their goal, liked the look of their number 7, marrs really struggling to keep up with him, good work out though but if we do go up think we will struggle big time unless we go full time, already wagered that Guiesley will finish bottom, onwards to Stockport.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:45 PM »
Thought they were very good today.
I believe they have not lost yet pre season,  beating higher league opposition along the way.
Heard someone say they're favourites for the division.
Losing today was no great shame bearing the above in mind.
Theyre a class above Lincoln!
All the goals were scrappy apart from Shaun Pearson.
Nice reception for Hurst and Pearson.
Well done Codheads for bringing so many.If only that overhead kick hadn't gone in we would have been looking at bigger gates like today.
But hey ho.........
As aside .....Happy Birthday GHM (yesterday)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
Compare what we faced yesterday, to how poor Lincoln were... and Lincoln have ambitions of being 'up there' this season??

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »
Compare what we faced yesterday, to how poor Lincoln were... and Lincoln have ambitions of being 'up there' this season??

Putting the better qaulity of GTFC players to one side I think Hurst has moved on with tactical nouse .

Moyses tactics  are a reminder of NPL football in the 70s .

Odin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »
Was not the result we had hoped for BUT was the result we should have expected. After the first 10 minutes I actually expected it to be worse. We did reasonably well against a very good Grimsby side, I hope they do very well this season. We had nothing to challenge them up front. Southwell needs a decent provider up there with him and I have never thought that Jones was the one. Whenever Jones lost possession of the ball he was looking round as if to say it wasn't his fault. I'm sorry old mate but you were just not good enough. If all we have him for is to glance the ball off the top of his head and hope another one of ours is there to pick it up then we clutching at straws.
I worry that this coming season will be like the previous two - we will get a decent keeper in on loan plus a few other good players in, on loan, just before Xmas by which time we will have lost too many games which will make the difference in the last couple of months of the season.
Pudge was terrific. How are we managing to keep him ?

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »
link=topic=6007.msg81138#msg81138 date=1438511891]
Pudge was terrific. How are we managing to keep him ?
[/quote]

Bit harsh to call him that ... I think he's lost a bit of weight since last season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »
Southwell needs a decent provider up there with him and I have never thought that Jones was the one.
Did you not watch us last season?  :o

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:06:50 PM »
Odin. What a load of rubbish don't know why I bothered with a season ticket, Take it you won't be at Stockport on Saturday. Probably see you Boxing Day for our first win.  UTP!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
Southwell needs a decent provider up there with him and I have never thought that Jones was the one.

I think he missed the 11 consecutive games in which Jones scored 12 goals . ::)

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »

Perhaps he watched the 16 games previous to those....

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:08 PM »

Did you? Or are you just assuming that because he failed to score, he was performing badly (he wasn't)?

Odin

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »
Dead right Oxo I won't be at Stockport, ain't interrupting my holiday for any game of football. Funny old game int it, for every 10 people on here who support a particular player you could produce another 10 who wouldn't. The feller sitting next to me expressed the same views as mine before I shared mine with him.
Sorry about the name Pudge, sorry I mean Pidge. I used to play alongside a player like him. Nothing phases him, very very little gets passed him, absolutely fantastic player.
As for waiting for Boxing Day to see us win, don't be so negative, we will win a game before then and anyway I enjoy the pre match pastie.

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »

Did you? Or are you just assuming that because he failed to score, he was performing badly (he wasn't)?

He failed to score many for us either. (don't think you were here scouting him)
I never faulted his effort, others were less forgiving, but central strikers are judged on goals - hence the positive post about his 12 in 11, but this doesn't suggest how well or badly he played either.
Opinions are just that.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »

He failed to score many for us either. (don't think you were here scouting him)
Why would we need to scout a player we knew could score goals for us - it's why you waved the £50 notes at him, remember?

Then again, he had a 'mare in that first game against us at The Northolme, when you managed to be one of only a few teams not to beat us under Graham Drury.