Author Topic: Lower Budget  (Read 3205 times)

Bob Lee

Lower Budget
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
Right, before everyone jumps on my back, is yet another reduction in our playing budget going to hinder our chances of promotion?

If my memory is correct this is the 4th year on the trot the budget has been cut.

I remember the first year the budget was significantly slashed.

So say the budget has been cut by 15% on average per year ( I have no idea just a figure for sake of this post ).  Take in account of inflation say 3% per year I would think in real terms our budget has halved.

Now I am not saying go down the road of paying what we cannot afford, DM and NK are doing a great job, but how many players have turned us down ? (if any).  Because we could not pay them say what we would have paid them two years ago.

Just a question, would be interesting to know if it has had an effect.

The stability of the Club is foremost, and I admire the business ideals behind the setup.

I am not moaning, just being inquisitive ;)

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Budget
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
I dont mind staying at this level if it means the long term financial side of the club is safe

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
I think these cuts are counter balanced by the fact each season more players are looking for clubs due to reduced budgets in general , causing many players to lower their demands if they are to get a club .     It ,s good we have lost our reputation of being big payers and now live within our means .    Value for money is what we should look for .
   Will Yates and Clarke play twice as good for Gainsborough as they did for us ?

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »
I think within 5-10 years (maybe sooner) Lg 2 and the Conference national will merge into 2 regional leagues under the football league management and the Conference will be split North, South and Midlands with promotion to one of the regional football lg divisions.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
Looking for value for money. Not money to buy value

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
Probably, but there's the obvious answer of aiding our chances of not going bust etc etc.

I think DN and NK have acknowledged we overpaid in 07/08 and I expect the budget came down a lot after then, but I doubt it's been reduced by as much as 15% in the years following. Not sure if inflation is that relevant in the sphere of wages because regional non league football seems increasingly divided between those with sugardaddies and practically everyone else who is reducing their budget.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Right, before everyone jumps on my back, is yet another reduction in our playing budget going to hinder our chances of promotion?

If my memory is correct this is the 4th year on the trot the budget has been cut.

I remember the first year the budget was significantly slashed.

So say the budget has been cut by 15% on average per year ( I have no idea just a figure for sake of this post ).  Take in account of inflation say 3% per year I would think in real terms our budget has halved.

Now I am not saying go down the road of paying what we cannot afford, DM and NK are doing a great job, but how many players have turned us down ? (if any).  Because we could not pay them say what we would have paid them two years ago.

Just a question, would be interesting to know if it has had an effect.

The stability of the Club is foremost, and I admire the business ideals behind the setup.

I am not moaning, just being inquisitive ;)

Yes, clearly it will affect our chances and it will require some creativity from the managers to beat the odds. But it goes without saying that I'd much rather see us take that direction and let the crackpot clubs overpay and go bust, as we very nearly did last time we embarked on a mental spending spree. After what's happened to Chester, Halifax and Rushden since, I think we should all feel even more remarkably lucky to even have a club to support in the first place.

Ultimately, if we carry on as we are under Newton, we'll still be here in 5/10 years time. Can supporters, if there are any, of Alfreton say the same with confidence?

So, if we're not going to join the spending bandwagon, how DO we get value for money and win on a budget? It's bloody hard. Even a two-time Conference "winner" showed how shit he is sticking to a modest budget, so it's certainly going to be an interesting season ahead. I just hope the fans don't turn on the club and the board if we take a step backwards....

Seenbetter

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
It seems it was good job we didn't get promotion. If we still have to cut back the budget then how could we have afforded to compete in the conference. As for being second favourites for the league next year, and before you get at me I know we are supposed to be positive, I really worry that the play offs may be wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong but there just doesn't seem to be the same out of season Oooomph that we had last year. Alright, let it come, I've got me tin hat on.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
Promotion would have seen an increase in income - mainly by the average away attendance being larger. You would guarantee (I think) a thousand near enough guaranteed from Lincoln, Mansfield, Grimsby, Luton, Cambridge.

What was the total away attendance at York Street last season? Less than a thousand maybe?

Bob Lee

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
I would also think the rent increase we  >:(have had does not help either.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
As I  see it the Malkinsons funded this club for around 70  years .  . in an often colourful fashion .
   When they went we became on paper just another poor non-league outfit . . operating in a  high rent stadium .
        On this premise .. be prepared for a period of mediocrity .