Author Topic: Give them a chance  (Read 2923 times)

shinnster

• View Profile
Give them a chance
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
I dont know but maybe we should be giving the youngsters a chance and make a name for themselves the young lad tricks looks handy.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Give them a chance
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:00:57 PM »
We had these convo last season about reserves etc, Let them be and see later in the season.

Youth or reserves to the 1st team is a massive step and least why they are where they are they will play in sussesful teams and aid there learning.

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »
May I offer as "exhibit A"  Mickey Stones as a reason that this may not be a good idea.

Prolific for the reserves, but too big a step up to the first team without trying his hand at, say UCL level first.

It is clear that we ought to be fielding a reserve team at a higher level than Lincs league, but I think that it has been said that it would be too expensive to do so.

Not sure what the answer is in terms of bridging the gap, but don't really think we should expose young players to BSN before they are ready.

To argue against my own case though, Tom Ward has made the step up, and after a ropey start had started to look the part before being injured.  I suspect that he is an exception to the rule though.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »

Have "googled" the name of the triallist mentioned in last night's reserve report - Jason Stokes. Presumably this is the same player, currently part of the squad at Rossington Main ...

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rossingtonmain/s/players-coaches-7968.html?player_id=66745

Stokes is shown as a midfielder, but scored a hat-trick in his last game for Rossington against Bentley Colliery in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Challenge Cup. The match was watched by an attendance of 40. Presumably therefore there'd be quite a step-up if we were considering him for our level?

Strangely Jamie Green is also listed on the Rossington Main first team squad page. He is shown as ex-Rotherham and Boston United, so it is definitely the same player that turned out on loan for us last season. I thought he was at Grimsby? The very fact that he has played for Rossington though raises questions around how their budget can stretch to a player like that given attendances of 40? He would be one ex-player who it would be good to see back at York Street.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
Green had been playing for Grimsby, I heard he was doing 'ok'
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
Non-contract, though.. hence him being allowed to turn out for somebody else.