Author Topic: Mansfield Game ????  (Read 3622 times)

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Mansfield Game ????
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

Not a lot of posts on the platter about the B/U v M/Field game, just one from GHM saying the 3 month loan signing seemed ok,  Is the lack of posts because it was that bad/or good to post on, How did the M/field manager ( who could have been our manager last season !!)  compare against our present incumbent, I see no mention of attendance figures in past reports in our local rags, are the pre - season friendlies a dying thing in this present climate of austerity, money to pay the bills etc is much more important than to pay to watch training matches.

milo1972

• View Profile
Re: Mansfield Game ????
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
I was there last night along with 300 or so others. Decent game against a strong physical Mansfield side.New loan signing Wilson had a very good debut. Apart from him everyone else had a good run out , but the defence did look vulnerable at times when Mansfield counter attacked. I don't take much notice from friendly results, i remember back in the early nineties we won virtually every pre season game mainly against higher opposition and we got relegated that season....

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
The answer to most those questions Ken is down to the olympics. (even a outpost like Wyberton must have  heard about them )
Re : attendances:  no figure given out at match .
With the austerity you mention and the availability of the olympics on t v it is a sensible option for many to stay at home .
To highlight the austerity issue a fairly large local school were given 20 free tickets for the olympics and planned to hire a mini-bus to take the pupils at £20  each.  Sadly the tickets were turned down due to the lack of uptake.  
I hope everybody puts paying bills more important than watching "training matches".
Two entertaining training sessions in my opinion . Both matches we played 4-4-2 first-half and 4-3-3. second half . In both games the 4-3-3 worked the best (bet Grimsby fans which Lee would give R&S some tips on this system))

The years you,ve been attending matches ceamy you know two managers can,t be compared over a 90min training session .
Did anyone who went see if the Stags C/E was in attendance ?

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
Both matches we played 4-4-2 first-half and 4-3-3. second half . In both games the 4-3-3 worked the best (bet Grimsby fans which Lee would give R&S some tips on this system))
We played our best football playing 4-3-3 towards the end of last season and was the reason given for releasing Semple (that he couldn't play in a 4-3-3). So I was a bit surprised when JL said we are going to play 4-4-2 this season (at the fans forum). Like you I think the players we have are ideal for 4-3-3 and hope JL and GH decide to play that system.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:32:21 PM »
Got to be 433 for me. On the ball Ross is technically as good as anyone at this level but strugles in a two as he doesn't track back enough (not saying he is lazy just not his style of play) but thrives in a three. Milnes got out muscled on the ball last season when playing in a two but did better in a three, I feel Reed would be similar to Milnes. Wilson wouldn't offer enough going forward in a two but would be a great foil for the defence and allow Ross and Milnes/Reed (Reed for me) to provide a bigger threat going forward. We have three top forwards at this level in Newsham, SWD and Jones but don't have two top wingers. Fairclough would probably be the most likely option off the bench who is also better suited in a front three than as a wide player as it limits his defensive responsibilities which is not one of his strong points.

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
Take it Tom Ward is injured anyone heard any more news about him.

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »

Thank you posters for the sensible replies to my queries, nice to see some interesting and pleasant replies, agree with you what you say GHM, except the bit about Wyberton,  left it 9 years ago, I only pass through it now on the way to Boscum.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Had noticed a steep rise in property prices in Wyberton recently ceamy . Mistakenly I have been giving the credit to Geo Osbourne rather than you.!!!

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
Take it Tom Ward is injured anyone heard any more news about him.

He left the pitch on crutches - hopefully not a re-occurrence of the ankle injury he suffered last yet