Author Topic: Ex-manager speaks out on limiting number of foreigners  (Read 7664 times)

porl99

• View Profile
Ex-manager speaks out on limiting number of foreigners
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Quite an interesting interview I thought with 'legend' Lee Canoville:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32027569

Unfortunately I think wage expectations of home grown players and agents are the main problem here.  They should look to tackle this first before limiting the number of overseas players.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-manager speaks out on limiting number of foreigners
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
The problem with the national team is that a smaller percentage of our elite English players are playing continental football - because they don't go abroad, limiting their options (because they can earn big bucks in midtable PL clubs).

The top national teams have almost all of their players at top clubs.

azi1992

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
eu players have a rite to work here too bro.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
eu players have a rite to work here too bro.
If you're replying to me, then that has no relevance to what I said... my comment is regarding the lack of English players going abroad (within the EU) to the big leagues, like Spain, Italy and Germany - even France.

azi1992

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
chill man! you spendin to mutch time on this site! it ain't like its ur job is it? i get ur point bro. just saying we all in eu so don't matter.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
Agree with you P86
United we stand..................

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:28:46 PM »
It isn't an issue with English players not going abroad - it's more an issue with our leading club sides being filled with overseas imports. If you look at the current Barcelona squad you'll find a nucleus of Spanish players; same with Bayern Munich and German players; same again with Ajax and Dutch players. But if you look at the first team squads of Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea you'd be struggling to pick out eleven English first team players between them.

Until our leading club sides contain a nucleus of English talent I fear we can write off any chances of our national side being successful.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »
Hit the nail on the head LP but because the constant greed in the premier league it won't change.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
It isn't an issue with English players not going abroad - it's more an issue with our leading club sides being filled with overseas imports. If you look at the current Barcelona squad you'll find a nucleus of Spanish players; same with Bayern Munich and German players; same again with Ajax and Dutch players. But if you look at the first team squads of Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea you'd be struggling to pick out eleven English first team players between them.

Until our leading club sides contain a nucleus of English talent I fear we can write off any chances of our national side being successful.

But you still get Spanish and German players over here, and across the leagues. How many England internationals have played in La Liga? Single figures? Bundesliga - Owen Hargreaves, and he was born there!

England has about 40-50 players good (?) enough for the national squad. For them to play in the Champions League, they have to spread across 4 clubs. Steven Gerrard didn't play in the Champions League, despite being England captain. Rooney is the same this season.

If there were less foreigners over here, would the clubs be as good as they are now? Is Patrick Bamford as good as Diego Costa? Is James Wilson as good as Robin van Persie? You need a good mix, combined with coaching, that knows how to pass a ball.

Those who have read Soccernomics, will realise England actually OVERACHIEVE for what we are. We aren't the biggest population, we aren't the richest country, and our tactics until about 5 years ago have been very one-dimensional. Foreign coaches in the Premier League spread proven knowledge. Spain's national success over recent years (except the last World Cup) was based on Johan Cruyff's coaching/tactical methods he took to Barcelona from Ajax (itself driven by Total Football of the Dutch).

Any changes made now will not make any short-term difference. We need continental methods brought in by continental coaches, but then adopted by local people.

azi1992

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
man you really have to cool it. take a chill pill bro. what do you do during the day? you must be a nitemare to work with on that net all the time! we r all eu so it don't matter where they play.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:15 PM »
man you really have to cool it. take a chill pill bro. what do you do during the day? you must be a nitemare to work with on that net all the time!               we r all eu so it don't matter where they play.

missed the point again
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:56:26 PM by Cavalier »
United we stand..................

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:26:18 PM »
But you still get Spanish and German players over here, and across the leagues. How many England internationals have played in La Liga? Single figures?

Laurie Cunningham
Steve McManaman
Jermaine Pennant
David Beckham
Michael Owen
Gary Lineker
Jonathan Woodgate
Vinny Samways
Stan Collymore
Dalian Atkinson

OK, so I've included a few under 21 and B internationals. But at least I've proved double figures.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:14:15 AM »
How many UK players are Barca, Real, PSG and Bayern looking at at the minute?
Chances are it's pretty low, poss even zero.
They are after world class players, I don't see any in UK teams. Apart from possibly .....
Joe Hart?
Rooney?
Kane. If he keeps it up

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »
But you still get Spanish and German players over here, and across the leagues. How many England internationals have played in La Liga? Single figures?

Laurie Cunningham
Steve McManaman
Jermaine Pennant
David Beckham
Michael Owen
Gary Lineker
Jonathan Woodgate
Vinny Samways
Stan Collymore
Dalian Atkinson

OK, so I've included a few under 21 and B internationals. But at least I've proved double figures.
Now compare that to the number of Spanish, French, German and Italian internationals who play outside of their own country...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »

Laurie Cunningham
Steve McManaman
Jermaine Pennant
David Beckham
Michael Owen
Gary Lineker
Jonathan Woodgate
Vinny Samways
Stan Collymore
Dalian Atkinson

And over how long a period did it take to accumalate these few players ?