Author Topic: V retford tonight  (Read 30216 times)

Seenbetter

Re: V retford tonight
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 11:37:21 PM »
Agree with bb1. Good atmosphere created by townenders. Well done everyone.

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2009, 12:01:07 AM »
did anyone else here the man in the 'Fantasy Island' stand slating Ellie all the time saying he was crap when he was at the club?

So he was crap when he helped us stay up last year?
I bet if Ellie was still at the club then that man wouldn't say that

I heard several calling Ellie which IMO is disappointing as he has been fantastic for us in the past, but Ellie being Ellie gave as good as he got.

Very disappointing IMO. Sure he realises most fans think well of him.

Thought the atmosphere for tonight's game was superb, Townenders give yourselves a pat on the back. Even though we lost it was well worth attending.
More of that for the next game please. Great second half atmosphere only spoiled by being mugged.

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2009, 02:38:50 AM »
thought retford just about deserved it. didnt think they were particulary dirty just very physical.thought we played well tonight but just wasnt to be.big worry for me when pearson went off and young ashton came on he got caught out at least 3 times and it was his error what the goal came from.not picking on him but his inexperience showed quite clearly tonight . really could do with a defender on loan at the moment to cover our defensive injuries.thought church was outstanding tonight and cant really fault anybody but we really need to start winning some home games else we will finish mid table at the very least.physically we are lacking big time from the midfield and forwards.

Shodfried

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2009, 06:52:27 AM »

Yep, the best atmosphere for ages, its just a shame there was such a negative, poisonous atmosphere 1st half, with a barrage of bad language and petty, puerile abuse hurled at the ref. Do you honestly think such crap will help sway his thinking into our favour...... and where was the noise after the Retford goal? When the team really needed support it wasn't there.........and a big well done to the idiot who decided to hurl abuse at Ellie at the end........the bloke gave us almost a decade of service and stood by us after McFraud almost wiped the club off the face of the earth. He deserved better than that.What we'd give for someone with his experience at the moment.

And the cynical line about Retford doesn't wash with me, I tend to look at them as more 'savvy' or 'cute' at this level and I put the current malaise down to Hurst and Scott who've filled the team with lightweights and forgot to get in some lads with a backbone and experience.The goal was  a classic example, we were running the game, the ball goes out, there's a scuffle and the momentum of the game is broken which suits them down to the ground. Far too often lads were brushed off the ball, not fouled, just out muscled by far more experienced rivals. Interesting to note the gate tonight, over 500 down on the opening home game, obviously not everyone has invested in the rose tinted specs some purchased when these two were appointed.

For all the possession 2nd half we created very little and only really troubled their back line 2 or 3 times. We were hit by a classic sucker punch and can have no complaints. I don't have the stats but my guess is Tommy Taylor's record after 5 games last season at home is probably more profitable points wise than the 5 games under these 2, a very sobering point. Defeat on Saturday is unthinkable but a real possibility, I just think we're too much of a soft touch.

Seenbetter

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »
For the last 10 minutes of the first half and most of the second half we upped the tempo a lot. I thought we were the better side and played some good football because it was kept on the ground. We are light weight and even the tall Suarez was pushed around. Dudfield knew what he was doing when he held onto that ball, to try and disrupt our momentum and it worked. When Scott ran over to their dugout it was out of pure concern for our player who was being jostled about by their team and then of course everyone else jumped in. Dudfeld caused all that fuss by hanging onto the ball when he shouldn't have touched it. If our side could play the ball around for longer like they did I think we have the makings of a good side, except, and a lot have already said this, we need a more physical presence. We miss Canners and Its purely a personal view but we should have kept Ellender.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
Defeat on Saturday is unthinkable but a real possibility, I just think we're too much of a soft touch.

Defeat on Saturday was always a possibility, its a rotten draw and has come at the wrong time for us. We just need to get past that and build again.

So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
http://scottdalton.posterous.com/paul-hurst-interview-v-retford

What is the pen incident he is talking about? There were so many farcicle incidents that I don't remember a stand out one?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 08:58:24 AM »

Yep, the best atmosphere for ages, its just a shame there was such a negative, poisonous atmosphere 1st half, with a barrage of bad language and petty, puerile abuse hurled at the ref. Do you honestly think such crap will help sway his thinking into our favour...... and where was the noise after the Retford goal? When the team really needed support it wasn't there.........and a big well done to the idiot who decided to hurl abuse at Ellie at the end........the bloke gave us almost a decade of service and stood by us after McFraud almost wiped the club off the face of the earth. He deserved better than that.What we'd give for someone with his experience at the moment.

And the cynical line about Retford doesn't wash with me, I tend to look at them as more 'savvy' or 'cute' at this level and I put the current malaise down to Hurst and Scott who've filled the team with lightweights and forgot to get in some lads with a backbone and experience.The goal was  a classic example, we were running the game, the ball goes out, there's a scuffle and the momentum of the game is broken which suits them down to the ground. Far too often lads were brushed off the ball, not fouled, just out muscled by far more experienced rivals. Interesting to note the gate tonight, over 500 down on the opening home game, obviously not everyone has invested in the rose tinted specs some purchased when these two were appointed.

For all the possession 2nd half we created very little and only really troubled their back line 2 or 3 times. We were hit by a classic sucker punch and can have no complaints. I don't have the stats but my guess is Tommy Taylor's record after 5 games last season at home is probably more profitable points wise than the 5 games under these 2, a very sobering point. Defeat on Saturday is unthinkable but a real possibility, I just think we're too much of a soft touch.

You and I watched the same game, TOTALLY AGREE with everything you wrote

freiston fan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
Harsh result.Realised why Ellie wasnt re-signed slow, acted like a bouncer continually off the ball raising his forarm into players faces at corners etc, shame the ref was out his league.

Before I get hes a legend, yes he is but now hes past it.

Not to downbeat we will come good, just need two/three players who can mix it as and when the game requires it.

Great support.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Football is all about opinions and each is entitled to their own,it doesn't make anyones any more or less valid than anyone elses.For what it's worth i don't subscribe to the idea that we are "lightweight" or that we need to fill the team with big ugly bruisers to succeed.We do lack experience especially with Canners(and last night Cammy)missing and the sooner we get those two back the better.We know teams in this league are often big and physical,as were Retford,it's up to us to counteract that with our own brand of football.Hurst & Scott are young managers who have had virtually non-stop success from the time they took over at Ilkeston.Now for the first time,they are experiencing the other side of the coin-we'll see how they handle it.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »

Last season you where saying we had too many has-beens and journeymen, which is basically what you are asking for with your experienced players. And when you say players who have no backbone I think you are doing Church and Camm (who's physical presence we missed last night) a disservice. We have the experience you call for in Canners, Camm and Davidson but all 3 where missing last night. You say we need the experience of Ellie, for me I agree with Freiston Fan he is past his best and we don't need players like that.

Why do you only want to compare Taylor's home point record with the current management? Is this because it is the only stat that backs up your grumbling?

They where not cute or savvy they where downright cynical dirty players. I've nothing against a physical side, for example FCUM and BPA this season or if you want an example of a team we played at home Ashton or Worksop last season. These where teams with a physical presence not a team that where allowed to continually foul players like the ref let them get away with last night, but hey we're not going to agree.

Just 1 final thing, if you think the Retford style of play is the holy mecca of this league why have they got exactly the same amount of wins, draws and points as us? Not exactly a more successful style is it? People keep saying we need bigger players to be up there, looking back to last season granted Eastwood the team that won it used big players and a very (fair) physical approach, but the rest of the top 6 where the best passing sides in the league. Personally I think the likes of Nantwich, Guiseley and Ilkeston of last season are what we should be aspiring to be like not thugs like Retford.

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »
Last night just goes to show how cruel the game can be. After a more up beat tempo and better play in the 2nd half it was us with the momentum and the players sensed it. With great support and our confidence building, I felt the goal was about to come. But then thanks to some hand bags the game was ruined by what I think was a very dirty tatic of retfords. Obviously duffer knew eactly what he was doing and it worked for them by disrupting our play and us taking our eye off the ball - excuse the terrible pun, which resulted in a cheap goal being conceeded.
The 1st half wasn't electrifying and we struggled physically against them. Any possession we had was lost quickly and we struggled to produce goal scoring opportunities. I think a bit of a telling off and a few subs seemed to do the business in the 2nd half. I went away mostly pleased with the team as they showed character in the 2nd half to get stuck in and battle with a physical team. Like others, I'm too worried about the strength of some of our players. It's a physical league certainly and we need to find a couple of muscular types to upset and disrupt these teams play. Up front if we're more clinical with the opportunities we make, we'd see a big increase in goals. Jamie Clarke had a beautiful chance in the 2nd half with only the keeper to beat, it sailed other the bar. Thats just a typical example of us not taking the chances when they arrise. If we adpopt the 4 4 2 and stop long balls flying up and down the pitch, we can do much better and do ourselves justice. Long balls can only be collected by big players who can shield the ball and battle with defenders. we dont seem to have them type of players so passing football is the only other option I believe just like in pre season. I dont think were using all of the pitch to play on, they need to run into space for the man on the ball and create options for the player to pass to. We're just far too rigid down the centre of the pitch and it gets messy with players bumping into each other. A few tweaks to the squad and it could be very good.
Keep the faith

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
I don't have the stats but my guess is Tommy Taylor's record after 5 games last season at home is probably more profitable points wise than the 5 games under these 2, a very sobering point. Defeat on Saturday is unthinkable but a real possibility, I just think we're too much of a soft touch.

Had a quick look at those stats, Tommy's first 5 home league games: W 1 D 1 L3 PTS 4

So exactly the same points total. The team then subsequently lost their next 2 home league games resulting in Tommy's departure. SW's first 5 home league games where no better: W 1 D 0 L 4

Our first 12 home games resulted in W 2 D 1 L 9. So from the next 7 home league games we only need another 4 points to better last season. Stats hey, who'd trust them  ;)

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
Football is all about opinions and each is entitled to their own,it doesn't make anyones any more or less valid than anyone elses.For what it's worth i don't subscribe to the idea that we are "lightweight" or that we need to fill the team with big ugly bruisers to succeed.We do lack experience especially with Canners(and last night Cammy)missing and the sooner we get those two back the better.We know teams in this league are often big and physical,as were Retford,it's up to us to counteract that with our own brand of football.Hurst & Scott are young managers who have had virtually non-stop success from the time they took over at Ilkeston.Now for the first time,they are experiencing the other side of the coin-we'll see how they handle it.

I don't disagree with any of that, we did miss camm for sure

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
Please let's not compare against last season, that was depressing, despite my rantings I believe we are a much better side, and I am sure we will see a run of better results, but we do need to get some strength in the team