Author Topic: Sunderland link-up with Greene revealed  (Read 11092 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Sunderland link-up with Greene revealed
« on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:22 PM »
Seen no mention on Patter but last night on BBC Lincs Sport a recording of an interview with Kevin Ball done at Jakemans Stadium on Saturday was played .  In it Kevin revealed  how  the DG link started .

When Den was at Histon Martin O,Neil was manager of Sunderland and sent a team pre-season to play there ,  presumably DG knew O,Neil from his Wycombe days , not a bad connection .

O,Neil sent Ball and Robbie Stockwell to Histon  in charge of the team at which point they met Den for the first time .    Kevin explained they were both impressed with DG tactical knowledge and the way he handled the players and that is why they permit players to come on loan to Boston .

He also mentioned  how much Max loved his spell at Boston .

Now seeing that these 2 senior members of the Sunderland under 21 set-up with about 1000 league games played between them and presumably a number of coaching badges, should we put faith in their judgement ,  or should we listen to the" Greene out" fantasy football managers on patter ?

Odin

Re: Sunderland link-up with Greene revealed
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:26 PM »
Gosh I am so silly. Just realised that if GHM removed his Hat we are left with Greens Mate. That explains why he thinks the sun shines out of his bottom. My only problem with DG is why does it take about 12 games before we get a team that looks as though it can challenge for success, just like the last two seasons.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:08:07 PM »
Interesting GHM ...

West Keal Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:04:43 AM »
I must be a "fantasy" manager then, but fantasy is a key word if you think that just because someone was once linked with a former premiership manager makes them a tactical genius 20 years later. I once met john Motson in the new england, but it doesn't make me a genius commentator, does it? I'll happily eat my words if the current upturn continues, but tactical genius, dg certainly isn't.
tax free sarcasm and irony included

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
I think we need to remind ourselves about some of Greene's predecessors before we moan too much ...

* Steve Evans ... has only ever really achieved any success when he's been able to throw money at building a squad. A weak chairman allowed him to get away with squandering money and ultimately left us in the position that we're now in. Tactical genius marks, 1 out of 10.

* Tommy Taylor ... seem to remember us starting a match with no left back at Burscough but having three left backs on the subs bench. Did well to get a squad together so quickly after his appointment, but from there underachieved. Remember that 5-0 hammering at home to Nantwich and we almost went down from the EvoStik? Captain Clean was our skipper. Tactical genius marks, 1 out of 10.

* Steve Walsh ... did a good job really in bringing some of the youth team through and also bringing back Ellender and signing Miller who ultimately saved us from the drop. Loyal servant to Boston United, and I'd love someone from the club to tell us where he is now. Maybe over-dependent on players he already knew, e.g. attempts to bring back Crane.  Wasn't really in charge long enough to fully judge. Tactical genius, 4 out of 10.

* Rob Scott and Paul Hurst ... best managers we've had lately. Three trophies in one season and a promotion via the play-offs. Happy to admit these were good managers but sadly there's no loyalty in football. Tactical genius 9 out of 10.

* Jason Lee and Lee Canoville ... Criteria for new signings: Aged 35+, slow and ex team mates of the managers; alternatively young players who are the sons of ex teammates or whose agents live next door to the managers. Very lazy recruitment policies and ultimately some poor decisision. Fitness coach? Tactical genius 1 out of 10.

* Graham Drury ... unlucky to lose his assistant to heart problems, but ultimately very very poor. Results spoke for themselves. Got rid of some of the very players we needed - Silk, Jelleyman, etc., and thought EvoStik South players were Conference North standard. Tactical genius 0 out of 10.

* Dennis Greene ... has his flaws and not liked or respected as a person following the benefits cheat debacle. But ultimately we have improved season-on-season and have some good young players. Not so long back people were saying on here that Greene's squad was better than Scott and Hurst (though I didn't agree). A good link up with a Premier League club provides a source of backup players. Better than all of our other recent managers barring Scott and Hurst, and more loyal to the club than they were. Greene's failure to fill important positions in the side from the beginning of the season is a problem, but it must be difficult to attract players to low budget and isloated Boston at a time when sides with much more money are also putting their squads together. I can understand why it's easier to pick players up as the season progresses. We need to see where he takes us before we award him a score, but surely worth a 5 or a 6? On footballing issues alone doesn't deserve some of the flak he's been getting.

For sure, there are better managers out there, but there are more worse than there are better. And Greene is probably the best we can afford given the budget we've got. On a footballing front therefore why not support him and see where it take us?

Bodge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »
My only problem with Dennis is the fact that we are always playing catch up due to an incomplete squad at the start of the season. This year we are again playing catch up, last year we had to have the best form from the new year to make the playoffs and the year before we just never quite got there and finished a couple of wins short which was down to another poor start.
Whatever you think of Dennis he must have the trust of Sunderland to allow the lads come down here and see a real benefit to them, lets face it it's not to do us a favour there academy lads have a lot of time and money invested in them.
Got to say well done Dennis on this one.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »
It may have taken Greene 12 games but he's only a non league manager after all. Just like we have non-league players and non league officials on a Saturday.

And after all, it is football we are talking about here. I mean, what's that Jose Mourinho doing not being top of the league. How can that be right.

TEP

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »
I must be a "fantasy" manager then, but fantasy is a key word if you think that just because someone was once linked with a former premiership manager makes them a tactical genius 20 years later. I once met john Motson in the new england, but it doesn't make me a genius commentator, does it? I'll happily eat my words if the current upturn continues, but tactical genius, dg certainly isn't.
We're not talking 20 years ago... they were impressed while he was at Histon, before managing us, and have continuously been so ever since (even though Sunderland U21s have changed coaching staff). That is why we still get the players from Sunderland!

Anyone who is a tactical genius, won't be managing in Conference North for very long.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »

Taking a comment out of context is a convenient way of avoiding facts you do not like .  O,Neil was only mentioned as to how Histon came to be playing Sunderland .

Now the real point of the post was that 2 senior  coaches from a Prem League acadamy  who,s Under 21 side sit on top of the Barclay,s U21 Prem League praised Greenes managerial skills .

Now I,m no friend of Greene , never had a conversation with the bloke , but if 2 coaches with 1000 top class games between them praise the man and backs it up by loaning top class players I,m backing him .

Conversely if you can name a potential manager who appears to have the know how and superior contacts to Greene that would manage bufc come on here and tell us ,  I promise I will first  to join your small band of "Greene out ". advocates .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
I think we need to remind ourselves about some of Greene's predecessors before we moan too much ...

* Steve Evans ... has only ever really achieved any success when he's been able to throw money at building a squad. A weak chairman allowed him to get away with squandering money and ultimately left us in the position that we're now in. Tactical genius marks, 1 out of 10.

* Tommy Taylor ... seem to remember us starting a match with no left back at Burscough but having three left backs on the subs bench. Did well to get a squad together so quickly after his appointment, but from there underachieved. Remember that 5-0 hammering at home to Nantwich and we almost went down from the EvoStik? Captain Clean was our skipper. Tactical genius marks, 1 out of 10.

* Steve Walsh ... did a good job really in bringing some of the youth team through and also bringing back Ellender and signing Miller who ultimately saved us from the drop. Loyal servant to Boston United, and I'd love someone from the club to tell us where he is now. Maybe over-dependent on players he already knew, e.g. attempts to bring back Crane.  Wasn't really in charge long enough to fully judge. Tactical genius, 4 out of 10.

* Rob Scott and Paul Hurst ... best managers we've had lately. Three trophies in one season and a promotion via the play-offs. Happy to admit these were good managers but sadly there's no loyalty in football. Tactical genius 9 out of 10.

* Jason Lee and Lee Canoville ... Criteria for new signings: Aged 35+, slow and ex team mates of the managers; alternatively young players who are the sons of ex teammates or whose agents live next door to the managers. Very lazy recruitment policies and ultimately some poor decisision. Fitness coach? Tactical genius 1 out of 10.

* Graham Drury ... unlucky to lose his assistant to heart problems, but ultimately very very poor. Results spoke for themselves. Got rid of some of the very players we needed - Silk, Jelleyman, etc., and thought EvoStik South players were Conference North standard. Tactical genius 0 out of 10.

* Dennis Greene ... has his flaws and not liked or respected as a person following the benefits cheat debacle. But ultimately we have improved season-on-season and have some good young players. Not so long back people were saying on here that Greene's squad was better than Scott and Hurst (though I didn't agree). A good link up with a Premier League club provides a source of backup players. Better than all of our other recent managers barring Scott and Hurst, and more loyal to the club than they were. Greene's failure to fill important positions in the side from the beginning of the season is a problem, but it must be difficult to attract players to low budget and isloated Boston at a time when sides with much more money are also putting their squads together. I can understand why it's easier to pick players up as the season progresses. We need to see where he takes us before we award him a score, but surely worth a 5 or a 6? On footballing issues alone doesn't deserve some of the flak he's been getting.

For sure, there are better managers out there, but there are more worse than there are better. And Greene is probably the best we can afford given the budget we've got. On a footballing front therefore why not support him and see where it take us?
EXCELLENT POST YSP!
BEEN THINKING OF DOING A SIMILAR ONE BUT YOU BEAT ME TO IT AND TBH DONE IT BETTER.
IF YOU SPEAK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY IN THE GAME THEY WILL PRAISE DG
SOME OLD SPUNKERS DOWN SPAIN LANE WHO HAVE NEVER PLAYED AT ANY LEVEL REALLY SHOULDNT BE JUDGING HIM :)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »
Gosh I am so silly. Just realised that if GHM removed his Hat we are left with Greens Mate. That explains why he thinks the sun shines out of his bottom. My only problem with DG is why does it take about 12 games before we get a team that looks as though it can challenge for success, just like the last two seasons.

At least early season you put your cards on the table Odin by suggesting the way forward was to get in lots of new players  early .
Telford followed this plan ,  ask the new Telford manager and supporters what they think to it . ::)

As stated in above post never had a conversation with Greene .   Same offer to you as made to wkp
name a potentialy better manager who will come to bufc and I will join the unhappy little band of "Greene out".

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »
My only problem with Dennis is the fact that we are always playing catch up due to an incomplete squad at the start of the season. This year we are again playing catch up, last year we had to have the best form from the new year to make the playoffs and the year before we just never quite got there and finished a couple of wins short which was down to another poor start.
Whatever you think of Dennis he must have the trust of Sunderland to allow the lads come down here and see a real benefit to them, lets face it it's not to do us a favour there academy lads have a lot of time and money invested in them.
Got to say well done Dennis on this one.
can anyone recall SE saying he was going to have a link up with a prem side??
I can....I can also recall it never happened
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:52:22 PM by howmanynames2pick »

Odin

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »
Hello GHM. Can u please direct me to the post where I suggested getting loads of players in because I cannot recall suggesting such a thing. I may, like a number of others on here, commented on the fact that players were required to fill a a few positions in the team AND like a number of others, expressed their disappointment that that wasn't done and we started the season half cocked because of that. Bodge and I appear to agree on that one. And I have never asked for DGs head,just complained that starting to look good after about 12 games makes progress to the top 5 or 6 extremely difficult.
And as for asking people to suggest names of prospective managers, well that's like asking how long is a piece of string, you don't know until it has been measured, Graham Drury is evidence of that. Mr Newton is no fool but he was suckered in by that one. For three seasons we have started half cocked, even in the trenches during the First World War soldiers learnt very quickly not to strike two matches in quick succession.
It's interesting how many wannabe prospective managers come out of the woodwork when a job is advertised, that is when suitable names can be suggested, when the list is formulated, so let's stop asking for suggestions for names, it's statement used to try and shut people up.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 12:14:54 PM »
Greene's worth more than a 5 or 6 I'd say. 7.5 is closer - he clearly loses marks for being slow out the blocks over a couple of summers and leaving us still team-building into Autumn (what WAS he doing this close season?!) but overall his record is actually very good given the resources he has at his disposal. He's not perfect, but no manager is.

Worst manager in the time I've been a fan is clearly Steve Evans for reasons we all know, but Drury was an appalling appointment. Thankfully Newton had the good grace to admit his error and sort it out before too much damage was done.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »
Will it be another link-up with Stamford today ?