Author Topic: Hednesford Town (A) 5/9/15 with train info  (Read 13074 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Hednesford Town (A) 5/9/15 with train info
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »
Despite us thinking our start to the season has been somewhat frustrating, Hednesford have had real problems, as their managers recently left to fill the void left by Steve Kittrick getting the sack at Telford. They lost 3-0 at home to FCUM on Saturday but bounced back with a big 4-1 win at Worcester.
It seems unlikely that the new boss will be in place before the game, but players will doubtless keen to impress ahead of the new manager's arrival. NEw gaffer syndrome and all that.
Hopefully the 5 days has given Zak Mills the chance to get fit (we need him). But he will be best used as a full back surely as Pidge and Stones look good in the middle and I have reservations about Roberts as a full back.
Results at Keys Park have been mixed. We won 1-0 in 2009, lost 4-2 in 2014 and won 2-1 earlier this calendar year

It's a good ground (I'd certainly like them 2 large terraces at our new place) and an added bonus of being local to me.

TRAINS
Sadly, like many away games, the return trip is the problem here, because at Nottingham there is only a 1845 and 2050 train home- no 1945 which would be ideal.

I'd recommend buying your tickets in 2 stages- Boston to Derby and Derby to Hednesford day returns. Both cost £18.90 (without railcard discount of 1/3), this is because Hednesford can be accessed by going to Brum (then north of the Rugeley Line) or by changing at Tamworth & Rugeley T.V. (then south towards Brum)

OUTBOUND TIMES (easy bit)
Boston-Nottingham 0850-1022
Nottingham-Birmingham N.S. 1041-1155
Birmingham N.S. to Hednesford 1212-1253
(you could leave 1 hour later and get in at 1353 too) It is about 20 mins walk from the station to the ground. I'd recommend the Cross Keys Hotel as a nice pub along the way- sure others would comment here too.

INBOUND TIMES
The only way of getting to Nottingham to get the 1845 train is to get a taxi to Rugeley Trent Valley by 1705, Lichfield Trent Valley by 1713 or Tamworth by 1736 (best bet), then you get a Tamworth-Nottingham train 1736-1831, then to Boston (1845-2018)

Realistically, you will either have a fair wait at Hednesford, Birmingham or Nottingham, catching the 2051 from Nottingham to Boston (due in 2229)

Another option is to go Hednesford-Rugeley Trent Valley (1828-1842), Rugeley T.V to Tamworth (1905-1919), Tamworth to Nottm (1936-2028 and Nottm-Boston (2051-2229)

From other locations, info is that trains leave Birmingham New St at XX12 and XX42 (45 mins journey) and trains from Rugeley Trent Valley leave at XX45 and XX12 (10 mins journey)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:48:06 PM by joshb »

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hednesford Town (A) 5/9/15 with train info
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »
 Might do Heddie as it had good toilets (important to me for medical reasons)
     BUFC scored some crackers their (well Eldino did )
          Rem BUFC 'fans' having a h/t kickaround in one of the goals ..which didn't impress the home stewards .
                Oh jb and others ,you should really get access to a car !
                 Would HEDD-BNS-DERBY-NOTTM-BOSTON be any quicker?

Sorry ,Oh I think you've answered that with the TAMWORTH route.
                                               f T.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:10:47 PM by father Ted »

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »

Oh jb and others ,you should really get access to a car !
                 Would HEDD-BNS-DERBY-NOTTM-BOSTON be any quicker?
                                                                    f T.

I think Boston - BUSA Bus - Hednesford would be the easiest route...and considerably cheaper than the train?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
You can't get royally shitfaced on the bus though. I also think some people take a weird, perverse pleasure in travelling to games by train, even when it's as awkward as this. I kinda get it, although I'm too old for those kind of epic, 18 hour days now.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
The BUSA bus is great if you want to get there at 2:55pm via 3 comfort breaks, but for those who want to make a proper day of it, look no further than the train

The President

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
Hmm!! that's a bit harsh Josh!! where do you get 3 comfort breaks from?? to my memory even when we've done the long hauls such as Torquay, Barrow we only stop once. and late arrivals are beyond BUSA's control.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »
As Pete so eloquently put it, some folk want to make a full day of it doing additional stuff to watching football, whilst others, e.g. old gits like him, want to go direct to the game with no fuss.  BUSA offers the latter as that is what the majority seem to want and it keeps the costs down by not having to pay the wages of a driver sitting around unnecessarily.  I'm sure that if there were no trains running then some of the die hard trainees would consider bearing the hardship of the very occasional traffic jam and comfort breaks that are an occupational hazard of coach travel.

Me?  I prefer flying :-)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »
Flying ? ..... you don't do away games :)

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Flying ? ..... you don't do away games :)

If only Corby had an airport...............

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 04:56:20 PM »
The BUSA bus is great if you want to get there at 2:55pm via 3 comfort breaks, but for those who want to make a proper day of it, look no further than the train

Three ???  Only had one break going to all the matches i have traveled to. And apart from any delays, the coach gets the fans their by 2.30 latest.  Trains as others have said are expensive compared to the cost of this bus ticket.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »

Three ???  Only had one break going to all the matches i have traveled to. And apart from any delays, the coach gets the fans their by 2.30 latest.  Trains as others have said are expensive compared to the cost of this bus ticket.

It was all in gest  ;) but I think BUSa tends to arrive after 2pm most games amid the usual stop off point

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »
As I said .. may make  it .. Is it a place to take a lady to ?  ::)

O/T ..  If only Corby had an airport...............
              My master plan to revive/boost the  North Midlands is 4 airports twixt Denbigh/ Holbeach ..
                1 @ North Wales borders ,1 between Uttoxeter and Stoke (near me) , 1 @ E Midlands already there .. and 1 in Spalding /Peterboro area .
                            fT .
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:31:06 AM by father Ted »

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
Awful first half. Absolutely zero positives from a Boston perspective.

Going home.

TEP

Odin

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
Oh Dear.

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
Utter pish.

Cue the lame excuses from a manager bereft of ideas.