Author Topic: Guiseley sack their manager  (Read 3228 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Guiseley sack their manager
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
From their official site...

In light of recent performances, Guiseley AFC have decided to part company with long-serving manager Steve Kittrick.

Steve has brought a great deal of success in the past six years, guiding the club to the UniBond Challenge Cup and promotion to the Conference North before finishing in the play-off positions in each of the last three seasons.

However, in the light of a disappointing end to last season and a difficult start to the current campaign, the club feels it has no choice but to move on.

Mark Bower will step in as caretaker manager with immediate effect alongside assistant manager Chris Holland and therapist Martin Stringfellow.

Mark will take charge of his first game away at Boston United on Saturday.

Based on the size of the club I think Guiseley are punching above their weight in even being in Blue Square Skrill North. After three successive play-off finishes surely he deserved a bit more time? So what if they're not top of the table after six games? Things could have been worse. They could have been Gainsborough.

It'll be interesting to see how the Guiseley players react against Boston on Saturday. Hopefully they'll put in the same kind of display as we did at Vauxhall Motors last season - immediately after we'd sacked Jason Lee.

I haven't looked up who Mark Bower is but, given that Chris Holland was the assistant manager, I wonder why he hasn't taken caretaker charge?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:15:15 PM by leicester pilgrim »

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Guiseley sack their manager
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
Always thought SK was one of the better managers in this league, I know he had a decent budget but but as that clown up the road showed, unless you get a plan in place and the right players in you can throw as much cash as you like at the job and you'll get nowhere. Guiseley have always been a competitive top 5 side in the 5 or 6 seasons we've crossed swords with them so in my book he's done a good job.

I do wonder just how far they can go though, anyone remember another club from that part of the world, Farsley Celtic? They went to the conference national, had a season there, the money ran out and they closed down! Surely Guiseley are run on better lines than they were?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
Guiseley seem to be well run - except that their team grew quicker than their ground!

Would they be able to go any further up?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
Chris Holland, thought he was a cracking player for us.  I only ever saw him score once, and that was against us. >:(
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
Chris Holland, thought he was a cracking player for us.  I only ever saw him score once, and that was against us. >:(

I Can remember him hitting the post twice and having one cleared of the line in the same game while he played for us. It just wasnt to be

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »
 Chris Holland has stepped down as Guiseley's assistant manager.

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/holland-steps-down-at-guiseley-25485/