Author Topic: The Month Ahead  (Read 8227 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
The Month Ahead
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »
Within the next four to six weeks we should know if we are going to be up there challenging or out of the promotion race. Of course, all the top teams will be playing each other but our schedule looks as tough as any:

Jan 11 Hednesford (A)
Jan 18 Solihull (H)
Jan 25 Altrincham (A)
Jan 28 Stockport (H)
Feb 1  Gainsborough (H)
Feb 4  Histon (A)
Feb 8  Brackley (H)

Let's hope we can settle down, tighten the defence and re-focus. I don't think some of the more quality / in-form sides will not let us get away with letting so many goals in and still coming away with the points.

DL

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: The Month Ahead
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:03:10 AM »
I think this is the reason for the squad reshuffle.  We've under performed at places like Ferriby and we need a bit of quality in for this string of games.

Last night was great to watch, but any of those sides above would have battered us playing like that.  We missed Jake Hall badly and the Indy injury killed us last night as it meant we had no balance and for 70 minutes no midfield.

Garner was my MOTM last night, guess it went to Miller? The work Garner (and Miller) put in first half was the reason their back four crumbled late on, the same could be said for Saturday too.  It isn't pretty, but the big man up top is certainly effective at this level.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:22:23 AM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
How many assists did Garner get last night?

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
Interesting. 7 very difficult games which will have a huge impact on our season. Vital who the additional 2 players are, we must tighten up in midfield as these teams will punish us and if we do not play well we could not win any of them. If we can get 14 points that will be great, but I suspect it will be less 10 to 12 max.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
I agree DT.

A few weeks ago you might have said we would have been fairly comfortable against the likes of Histon and Stockport but both are now showing an improvement in form. Stockport put five past Gainsborough on Saturday, who in turn put five past Altrincham last night ! If we aren't on our game defensively then we could be punished. Would settle for a couple of one nil wins right now. I remember last season when DG took over we played away at Brackley and I think we won 2-0. That was a really solid performance that day - the sort we need to dig out going into the games ahead.

DL

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 02:16:26 PM »
I think this is the reason for the squad reshuffle.  We've under performed at places like Ferriby and we need a bit of quality in for this string of games.

Last night was great to watch, but any of those sides above would have battered us playing like that.  We missed Jake Hall badly and the Indy injury killed us last night as it meant we had no balance and for 70 minutes no midfield.

Garner was my MOTM last night, guess it went to Miller? The work Garner (and Miller) put in first half was the reason their back four crumbled late on, the same could be said for Saturday too.  It isn't pretty, but the big man up top is certainly effective at this level.

I'll give Scotty one thing, he certainly put in a great shift, but surely you only have to look at the way the back four played last night to tell you where CH's should be playing? It surely didn't make sense either to have Semple playing centre mid, i cant remember him playing there before, when forgetting Millers goals, my MOM Marshall (even I cringed at some of the tackles he was steaming into) could have shored up a midfield that for 80 minutes went awol. Huge, huge 3 points tho ;D

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
How many assists did Garner get last night?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »

I'll give Scotty one thing, he certainly put in a great shift, but surely you only have to look at the way the back four played last night to tell you where CH's should be playing? It surely didn't make sense either to have Semple playing centre mid, i cant remember him playing there before, when forgetting Millers goals, my MOM Marshall (even I cringed at some of the tackles he was steaming into) could have shored up a midfield that for 80 minutes went awol. Huge, huge 3 points tho ;D

I couldn't understand why we didn't shuffle the pack earlier to get Marshall or Galinski in the middle of the park. The game was nearly lost because we were so weak there.  It isn't a slur on any of the players efforts to say that. Milnes and Ross were simply over run.  Garner certainly sorted out the leaks when he moved back, but it was more that 1 of the 3 could press the ball where in a central 2 they were free to run at Galinski and Pierg for fun, and did.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
My idea when Indy went off was to play Semple at full(wing) back, and move Marshall into the centre.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
If we keep the current average of points per game up we'll not be a million miles off come April.

And lets be honest, after the abject mediocrity of the Jason Lee era this season has been a breath of fresh air.

I've a niggling feeling that a lack of clout in the centre of the park will bite us on the bum eventually though, I cannot for the life of me understand why he's looking at wide players when we have 2 lads in Milnes and Ross who are comfortable on the ball but who can't tackle. Centre midfield is crying our for a new face and it could be the key to the season.

But 8/10 so far, entertainment wise this season I think the fare at York St has been on a par with S&H's two season stint, we just need that Sleeth/Church type midfield to really push on, its just a shame DG seems not to see this.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
Good post n40s and agree but I believe there is a centre mid signing on Sunday so hopefully he will be the missing link.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
NF,
dennis has stated on several occasions that a centre mid is signing soon, so he cannot be that wrong can he.  ::)

Seenbetter

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
Shaun Pearson was at the game last, and Tom Ward, perhaps they want to come back.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »
I feel Pearson will be in the Football League soon enough (whether with Grimsby or not), and Wardy is injured - plus his little brother was on the bench!

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:55 AM »
I say keep GARNER pushing forward and bring back STAINFIELD,